Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar - Good quality 'soft' case

Musicman20

Hi

Its become obvious to me that sometimes I dont need the hardcases I have. Certain gigs require the entire band in one large car with amp heads, guitars/bass and basic drums.

So, we have all decided that it would easier to each get one decent 'soft' case. Ive had some truely awful ones in my time....what do you recommend? It will be used to carry any one of my basses.

Thanks

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Doddy' post='620625' date='Oct 8 2009, 03:02 PM']iGig cases are awesome.
Best cases I've used by a mile.[/quote]

Yeah, but you're endorsed by them. And as far as I can see, there's no way to buy them - there's not even any way to find out how much they cost - without emailing the guy who owns the company.

S.P.

I've used one of the Ritter bags for 3 or so years now and it has never let me down. Not exactly sure which model it is, but it was the most expensive one in the guitar shop, with the most padding and a little velcro strap inside it to secure the neck.

+1 for Ritter!

I've been using a Fender deluxe gig bag for ages now, seems to do the job very well. Also picked up a very similar bag from the Rotosound stand at the Music Live show a couple of years back which is also good. Or are you looking for something a little more robust than a gig bag?

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='620633' date='Oct 8 2009, 03:10 PM']Yeah, but you're endorsed by them. And as far as I can see, there's no way to buy them - there's not even any way to find out how much they cost - without emailing the guy who owns the company.

S.P.[/quote]

Yes I am endorsed by them.

You can get them from Bass Direct.

Soundslive were doing these for about £35 I think - [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=9790"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=9790[/url] I got one and they're great, especially when you consider that the RRP is about £80. If you can find one anywhere on the cheap then go for it, they're much stronger and more padded and durable than the Warwick ones (I used to have one of those too, until I left it on a train :) ...but it was empty).

I suppose it depends on the level of protection you want. If it is in the back of a van I'd only ever use a hard case. However I pretty much drive my own gear these days so a gig bag is fine. And to be honest just adding the word quality to any EBay search should suit 99% of people's needs. I've used Fender ones, Warwick ones and all sorts - no issues.

Im getting one with the Lakland JO5...maybe I should wait and see what that is like? Think its a Levy type soft case.

I dont want to spend too much as usually the hardcases are my favoured option....I dont like my basses unprotected and ive seen what happens with poor gig bags. :)

Some of the soft cases ive seen are just as large as a hardcase!

I do like the Sadowsky softcases....maybe something like that or a really strong gig bag with padding.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='620794' date='Oct 8 2009, 05:31 PM']Mono are great, really good. The Body Glove ones are good too, especially for the money Soundslive were selling them for.[/quote]

Just checked my invoice for the Body Glove gig bag - £37.99. Amazing value!

[quote name='Dubs' post='621158' date='Oct 8 2009, 11:18 PM']It's the soundslive link that I posted before, but they've sold out. I bought it over 6 months ago I think and it's been great.[/quote]

OkeeDokee... no probs... I'll continue with my bag for another couple of decades... I hope!

My fav bag at the moment is an old Ernie Ball gig bag. Its an angular shaped one that i got in a bass swap years ago. It fits all my basses (no, not at the same time ;-) but only one thin pocket on it.
The reason i use it is i prefer bags that sit low when on the shoulder. I use the tubes a lot and if im also carrying a suit bag its a pain to have to keep taking it off.
I would love a higher priced bag but they all seem to have the straps starting way down the neck.
I also use a very thin Levy's bag that came with my HY1 and that too sits under head height. But as my basses have got more expensive im a bit more weary about using that as it has practically no padding.