Why become a member? ×

What work do you carry out on your bass at home

d-basser

Hi guys, wondering if I could get a little input from you folk.

I am still planning to design an aid for home bass/guitar repair, maintenance and modification. I was wondering:

1) What kind of maintenance do you carry out on your instruments at home/gigs?
2) What position is it easiest to have the instrument in for these actions? (vertical, horizontal, at an angle?)
3) Are there any tasks you currently carry out where you find it hard to securely orientate the instrument in an ideal working position?

thanks in advance folks

Dan

1 - setups - action, intonation, truss rod, replace pots & socket etc
2 - horizonal is fine - usually on an ironing board
3 - nope. I once had to take the neck off my mustang to tweak the truss rod just before a gig. No problem laying it on a pub table with a wooly jumper under the bass.

I don't see a market for such a product & for that reason I'm out

1) Most things that don't involve electrickery or frets - I happily do set-ups, change bridges/nuts/strings, tweak trussrods etc. Cleaning/polishing/treating wood, fretboard etc.

2) Generally horizontal.

3) Yes, keeping the bass horizontal and secure in my madhouse can be awkward sometimes eg when changing strings in a hurry.

Strings, cleans, trussrod tweaks, some electrickery

I'd not buy anything.
There's already plastic folding "neck supports" available in repair kits but I put a couple of cusions on the kitchen table. At gigs I'll just lay it on a well lit table on a jacket or half a gig bag or case.

There's this

[url="http://www.ducksdeluxe.com/gnrindex.html"]http://www.ducksdeluxe.com/gnrindex.html[/url]

and this Dunlop thing

and a fender "worksation"

String change, clean ups and general playing / fiddling

2) What position is it easiest to have the instrument in for these actions? (vertical, horizontal, at an angle?)

On my lap mainly

3) Are there any tasks you currently carry out where you find it hard to securely orientate the instrument in an ideal working position?

No not really to be fair

1) If it involves a screwdriver or a soldering iron I do it myself

2) horizontal on a towel on the kitchen worktop with a cushion under the neck

3) No because I take the time to find an ideal working position or I wait until I can do so to do the job. If it's a running repair at a gig I lay the bass on my rack bag - pretty well cushioned - or the drummer's bit or carpet with my gig towel under the neck.

If it's mid set I change basses......................................
...because I can :) :rolleyes: :lol:

Work on loads of peoples instruments at home, have none of those non slip mesh mat things on the table for most stuff, some tweaks on action and stuff I do in the playing position/on my lap, as thats where it needs to be intonated right. Oh, when I'm moving a truss ron I generally hold the body between my feet and knees to be able to pull the neck into place whilst turning.

1) String changes, cleaning, set up. If necessary rewiring, rebuilding, part replacement.

2) Easiest to be able to do jobs at any angle- Setups vertical to be able to bend the neck to tighten the truss rod, horizontal to clean, playing position to do action and intonation. I still find it easiest to solder when sat on the floor :)

3) Not really, sorry!

Edited by Protium

[b]Don't gig. At home pretty much everything on instruments - setup, total dismantling, rewiring, fret-dress and also refretting, put lines on a fretless neck, stripping finishes etc.[/b]

[b]I go for flat on a small table, on top of a thick blanket and with the headstock overhanging - or the trusty old Ironing board.[/b]

[b]Sometimes neck related work is a pain when the neck can't be removed from the body.[/b]

OK, so what are you trying to sell us????

Edited by Golchen

[b]Setup, string changes, cleaning, small mechanical repairs, part replacement. I don't have soldering iron and know very little about electronics so I let other people do those things.[/b]
[b]Mostly on the table or on my lap.[/b]
[b]Not really, except for removing the neck. I find either the body or the neck falling to the floor.[/b]

Nothing at gigs. At home I'll do action tweaks including truss rod, the occasional home-brew fret dress and a bit of cack-handed soldering.

I generally lie the bass flat on a carpeted floor with a pillow to support the neck.

Not that I can think of.

1. At home, bass and fretboard cleaning, changing strings, neck relief, action, replacing bridge, replacing pre-amp, changing pickups, neck pocket shimming, strap buttons and locks.

2. Vertically using alternate foot and knee for relief. Otherwise horizontal on table or carpet.

3. Not really.

Edited by GreeneKing

String changes, setup of neck relief, intonation etc., rewiring/replacement of pots etc., cleaning, oiling fingerboard.

Variable but sometimes vertical, sometimes horizontal, sometimes on my lap, sometimes on a table or ironing board.

No.

[b]Change strings, adjust truss rod, tweak bridge saddles. Very occasionally change pickups, requiring soldering, or bridge.[/b]

[b]Um, on my knee in the playing position (except for soldering) - does that count as at an angle?[/b]

[b]Not really (except I find soldering awkward, but thats because I am rubbish at it, not because of the position of the bass)[/b]

Cheers Clarky

[b]Setups, electronics, minor woodwork, most things except major woodwork and finishing.[/b]

[b]Horizontal, on workbench.[/b]

[b]Not really.[/b]

[i]1) What kind of maintenance do you carry out on your instruments at home/gigs?[/i]
At home absolutely everything - cleaning, fret levelling/crowning/dress, setup, wiring, truss adjustment, neck shims, refinishing etc. The only thing I've not yet done is a refret/defret but that's only a matter of time. At gigs the worst I've had to deal with is changing a string.

[i]2) What position is it easiest to have the instrument in for these actions? (vertical, horizontal, at an angle?)[/i]
Flat for the most part. I have a workbench in my basement (actually a big, old, heavy desk I "liberated" from an office clearout) with carpet glued to the top. Generally just lying an instrument on it is fine, if necessary I can clamp the body to the bench. For fret work I have a rubber-jawed vice to hold the heel and a polystyrene block to support the neck at the correct height. Truss adjustments generally require holding the instrument upright to apply necessary physical pressure.

[i]3) Are there any tasks you currently carry out where you find it hard to securely orientate the instrument in an ideal working position?[/i]
Not really. Fret work on set-neck instruments can be fiddly but you really just have to be more careful & patient.

Jon.

I do all electronic, truss, and bridge work at home. Not sure I'd trust myself with a refret or frett dress, I'd farm that work out.
Horizontal except for the truss stuff. In the workshop days I had an electronics bench which I'd gaffa n glued some thick carpet to then covered in a sheet so it was padded and smooth. Now I put a towel on the kitchen worktop.
I find most work requires moving the bass /guitar a lot so anything that would hold it in place would be very counterproductive.

thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

What I am looking at is not a stand alone product as I realise that there is not enough need for it to be marketable. What I am considering is an adaptation to current a product, probably one of the styles of stands, to give an aid for home mods and maintenance.

NickH, thanks for the constructive input, I would be looking to make the design quick release in some way (need to work on some kind of innovative mechanism I feel) so that the bass is secure when needed but easily re-orientated.

This is purely a uni project, not something I am going to be trying to sell you guys so don't worry.
Out of interest: if I could design a stand that provided all the functionality of a normal stand but also was adjustable to aid maintenance, without a significant increase in cost, do you think it would be a viable product?

[quote name='Golchen' post='620725' date='Oct 8 2009, 04:34 PM']1) What kind of maintenance do you carry out on your instruments at home/gigs?
[b]Don't gig. At home pretty much everything on instruments - setup, total dismantling, rewiring, fret-dress and also refretting, put lines on a fretless neck, stripping finishes etc.[/b]

[b]I go for flat on a small table, on top of a thick blanket and with the headstock overhanging - or the trusty old Ironing board.[/b][/quote]
I'm the same a Golchen. Plus I do resprays occasionally too.

I have never found I need anything to help me support the guitar I'm working on.

I really can't see the gap in the market. Sorry. What problem is it you have identified?

Problem I identified is that I find it hard to hold the bass in an easy position for restringing and cleaning without the potential for it slipping or getting damaged, I also find it hard to work on the back of a bass adjusting trim pots or working on electronics with out a chance of damaging the bass placing it strings down.
I am aware I am probably approaching this slightly wrong but I do not have time to change my project (have to draft my brief today and write it for Friday) and I believe there is a problem to be addressed and the potential for a solution somewhere within this.