Why become a member? ×

What's your greatest moment in music?

Golchen

I was watching the Leeds international piano competition the other night. Some guy was playing an awesome piece on the piano with full orchestral backing all around him, infront of a big audience and in a superb old building with balconies and stuff. I just thought 'what a great setting to be playing in', the orchestral backing must have been so loud and resonant!

So yeah, I was just wondering what YOUR most fulfilling moment in music has been? I'd imagine that it would be a live performance of some kind - so that counts me out!

Hmm... tough question! There's no single answer for me, as it's all relative to the time.

My favourite moments..

The first 'proper' festival I ever played at Castleside in Co. Durham, with a backstage area and famous musicians and that. Quite a shock.

The first American gig I ever played, in Tucson AZ. That was a proper 'How did I get here?' moment.

The first time I got to play in a band with my all-time favourite drummer. I was terrified I'd mess up, but I got through it... and we're still playing together.

The first time I got to play Newcastle City Hall. Another 'WTF?' moment... and the novelty still doesn't wear off when I play there.

And... I was recently asked to dep with a band who are legends of the Newcastle blues scene, and have been for fourty years. I nearly fell off my chair when I got the call. The gig was fab. :)

Watching Top of the Pops religiously, as a child, every Thursday, through the 60s and 70s. Listening and watching the bands, thinking "that's what I want to do"...

So, I gotta say, doing TOTP for the first time...ambition fulfilled! :)

And, receiving my first paycheck...for playing music.

Edited by SteveK

There are three.
1 - Playing to 3000 people on a gorgeous summer night in Stroud.
2 - It Bites at the Astoria on the Once Around The World tour.
3 - The Proms in the Park at Berkeley Castle some years ago... the orchestra played a stunning rendition of Elgar's 'Nimrod', when they hit the crescendo at the end, I am not ashamed to say I cried. Just beautiful.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='616366' date='Oct 4 2009, 11:37 AM']You saw EWF in 1976? Respect Sir.[/quote]

The album 'That's The Way Of The World' had just come out and was number one in the US chart. 'Shining Star' was number one in the US singles chart. I thought: I need to hear this album. It blew me away. I heard they were coming over with my favourite band, Santana. I saw them at Manchester Apollo. EWF opened the show - about 13 of them on stage. The energy was unbelievable. At the end of the show the drumkit rose up and spun round, with the drummer strapped in and still playing. Everyone in the crowd was awestruck.

Santana came on with a pared-down band - 6-piece - I can't remember who was playing bass, but Leon Chancler was on drums. They just couldn't match the atmosphere EWF had created. Plus, Carlos was having trouble with his Boogie combo and kicked it a few times.

I went to Liverpool the week after and watched the same amazing show again.

Good and bad moment..

I was doing Jesus Christ SuperStar in Leeds. [1999]
The good moment..
Andrew Lloyd Webber got up on stage at the end of the show,
and invited the rhythm section to join him,
then announced that was how he envisaged the music when he wrote it.
Bad moment.
He keeled over....pi**ed,
and was helped from the stage,
he was just talking his usual sh*te... :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

The one person in my life who ALWAYS encouraged me, and told me never to give up, was my Dad. The two best moments of my (musical) life were being able to take him backstage at both the City Hall and Tyne Tees Studios. (When I was playing both). His smile is something that stays with me to this day, and he's been gone for six years. :)

I suppose the only moment that I could class even close to being "great" was the first gig I ever did as a 16/17 year old.

It was great because I get extremely nervous getting up and doing anything in front of people (even to this day, just watch me try and play bass in a music store and I get the panics :)) and whilst it wasn't the largest crowd I've played to, it was just the fact that I was able to get up and play and did a pretty good job, especially nervous doing the bass solo/guitar duet in Lost Horizon's by MSG.

Radio 1, Friday Rock Show session for Tommy Vance in 1986, in the days when I was a lead singer.

When I was a kid, I used to listen to the show religiously, and dreamed of being on it one day. When I was actually in Maida Vale recording the session, I could hardly believe it.

Standing next to the radio when it was broadcast, with my mum and dad listening, was a very proud moment.

Several & hopefully more still to come but the big highlights in no order are;

Playing the Marquee Club in London back in the early 90s

Being hotly tipped by Vanessa Warwick on MTV as "mostly likely to make it" - she was wrong!

Releasing a vinyl record back in the mid 90s

Backing childhood hero ex-Dogs D'Amour frontman Tyla on guitar at a gig last year in Swindon

Playing my first gig on double bass this year.

None of it is big league but it meant a lot to me

Wow some of you have had some really awesome moments!

For me it was playing to a croud of over 5000 in my home town on new years eve 1999/2000 (we played both sides of 12 o clock) and having what felt like every person there sing every word with me, it was awesome. The best thing of all was that I had only been playing 2 years and my dad was also playing right beside me, that will stay with me forever, me and my old man.

Nathan

one i tell is my playing 11 nights and a matinee at carnegie hall..i was on alto sax
carnegie hall dunfermline
the show..no no nanette
audience around 20 a night and 50 on the matinee...
just a silly one

but my really top occassion was to play oboe with the snowdon orchestra in stirling doing zadok the priest
we practiced as an orchestra for weeks for the introduction and parts of the work

the last rehearsal was with the choir...

we got to the end of the introductory passage and usually we all stopped there and had a cuppa...but since the choir was there we carried on correctly into the work

i was blasted away by them sitting behind me ...full force opening volume

why am i telling you this...because it is the most impressionalbe occasion i have ever had

nothing to report on bass i am afraid