Why become a member? ×

What/Who Made Your Play Bass

JBassist

my mates started playing guitar at school and they were more advanced than me...and then at a practise, I started to hear and like low notes..

Funnily enough, I don't think any of them ever played much later on... probably never got out of their bedrooms

played my 1st live gig at 16 in front of a Political meeting in a church hall.. so not in front of mates either.. which was nerve racking, but we did ok..

Everyone else played guitar so I wanted to be different, plus I thought it would be easier to get in a band if I was the only bass player in the village. The first bass players I took notice of were Neil Murray (Whitesnake) Bob Daisley (with Ozzy at the time), Andy Fraser and Jack Bruce but I'd been playing for at least six months before I started to really identify with individual basists.

Just thought 'lets be different and play bass....and do it properly'. I was a young grunge kid at the time. The I learnt to play punk 'well'....and not just follow the guitar.

Bass to me always just seemed right. I do like guitar, but it never feels as good as bass.

Edited by Musicman20

Geezer butler was ( still is for that matter ) the main reason but Steve Harris, Bob Daisley and Lemmy being high up on the list theres countless others but i"ve drank so much beer over the last 25 years i cant remember their names coz my brains turned to mush.
Im probably gonna get slated for this but i was never a fan of Geddy Lee & Rush ( nice sig bass though)

was about 16 when I fiddled about with guitar, but didn't find it that good, and all my friends had had a massive headstart. So one day, sitting on the tube home the morning after a party half awake, I got a text from a mate saying 'hey zach, want to play bass for my band?' which seemed like a good idea. 3 years later I'm now a better bassist than he is guitarist ^_^

[quote name='ahpook' post='576096' date='Aug 20 2009, 09:12 PM']peter hook[/quote]

I met him last year. propper sound bloke. I got a pic with him altho it was in a club and on a cam phone so it came out sketchy.

what got me started was my mate who got a 5string and wanted rid of it for a guitar, so I bought it off him thinking "yes, im gonna learn some Doors" but then shortly after realising the Doors doesnt have a bassist, moved onto other things.