Why become a member? ×

Best Plectrums (Picks)

I use carbon fibre picks made back in the eighties by a company called Hi modulus, sadly they are no longer made tho I did buy them in huge quantitys and still have a couple of dozen of them left today that are used for recording and gigging and I use the jim dunlop cheapy copies that they now call the reefer pick for everything else.
1mm thick, can,t stand floppy picks.

I used to just use a 1mm cheap whatever was available but I'm almost exclusively fingers now. I have one bass intro to one song where I need to cut through a little more so I use a pick there & I tend to revert to plan A again for that. If I play guitar I'm much more fussy. Perhaps because it's a 30 second intro I'm not so worried about slippage etc - it's just job done and discard!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='532767' date='Jul 5 2009, 09:22 AM']I use the big triangle blue Dunlop Tortex. A small guitar pick feels wrong to me on bass, if you haven't tried a big triangle then do it now![/quote]

I have a bunch of yellow tortex triangles, I can't stand them, I like the normal guitar players ones.

I just switched back (at least for one gig) to Jim Dunlop Stubby 3mm on guitar. I used to use the Big Stubby, then switched to the red Jazz IIIs (music college guitarists informed me this was the standard pick used at their college, figured I'd take a free bit of advice). Really enjoyed using the Stubby on Sunday, slides so nicely off the strings, can achieve a softer sound, pleasing pick transient. Beautiful.

I wish I liked the sound of picks on basses more than I do. Then I could focus on pick technique exclusively rather than splitting my time between fingers and pick practice.

Mark

I used to use fingers all the time when playing with an acoustic guitarist only. Now joined a covers band that plays rock, blues, pop etc and find that I have to use a pick for most songs otherwise my fingers end up covered in blisters!

1mm Steve Clayton Rounded Triangle Acetal Polymer. Similar but superior to the old Gibson Heavy picks I used to use back in the day.

[url="http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=ART_12PK/726.0.31151.31152.0.0.0"]http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_numb...151.31152.0.0.0[/url]

Interesting the difference that availability makes. 42 posts and only two votes for Herco picks. There was a similar thread on TalkBass a while back and from what I recall it seemed as though about a quarter of the posters said they were using Hercos - normally Flex 75s.

I'm sure if they were easily available in the UK once again a lot of the people here saying that they use Dunlop Nylon heavies would be using the Hercos instead.

They used to be easily available because that's how I came to start using them. I wonder why they aren't anymore?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='535061' date='Jul 7 2009, 07:53 PM']Interesting the difference that availability makes. 42 posts and only two votes for Herco picks. There was a similar thread on TalkBass a while back and from what I recall it seemed as though about a quarter of the posters said they were using Hercos - normally Flex 75s.

I'm sure if they were easily available in the UK once again a lot of the people here saying that they use Dunlop Nylon heavies would be using the Hercos instead.

They used to be easily available because that's how I came to start using them. I wonder why they aren't anymore?[/quote]

When I was going through my Chris Squire phase playing Rick 4003s I decided to give the picks that the great man himself uses a try.

Herco Heavies - after years of trying every pick I could get my hands on, it takes a bit of hero worship to find my perfect pick. Perfect thickness and they never slip out of my fingers.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='535061' date='Jul 7 2009, 07:53 PM']I'm sure if they were easily available in the UK once again a lot of the people here saying that they use Dunlop Nylon heavies would be using the Hercos instead.

They used to be easily available because that's how I came to start using them. I wonder why they aren't anymore?[/quote]

They are really nice picks. I'd probably switch to them if I could get a good supply. A friend of mine picked up a couple while he was in the states so I've been lucky enough to try one. He guards his with his life, so it looks like I'll have to wait until they're easier to get hold of!