Why become a member? ×

New from Harley Benton

Some great looking new basses from HB! https://harleybenton.com/bass-families/#mv-4jb

I especially like the straight-up P's (not PJ) in some more interesting colours. Might get a shell pink one to match my HB jazz ... They also brought back the PJ mustangs, including a pick up selector this time.

They seem to have ditched the Roswell pickups for some own brand thing, not sure how much of a difference these would make really. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Ooooh, finally a lefty version of that Mustang-like shortscale PJ! It still only has a master volume and master tone, but the switch is a great add! I'd love dual volume. 

But FFS, why only black for us? I would sooo choose the Shell Pink one if I could! 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 2

Would have loved the MV-4P in Burgundy Mist but they've given it a jazz neck, having shovels for hands anything under 42mm doesn't really work for me. 

Shame.

Looks like HB got a job lot on jazz knobs - they are on everything - P/PJ/Jazz/mustang. Also noted the neck nut widths, all 38mm (jazz) on P/PJ/Jazz, must have a job lot on those too.

Like the truss rod wheel, though it should be within the neck, not the body, as now customising the pickguard (without a cut out) is gonna be problematic, having to remove the pickguard each time a truss rod adjustment is required. Not too bad for a jazz, but a real pain for P or PJ's.

Like the natural PJ, shame it's not in stand alone P version.

Where did the Gotoh tuners all go???

I'm really not a fan of Jazz/Precision basses, even less so copies thereof, but these look OK. 

Much as always is the case, the take on the headstock design is, as usual, horrific; I don't wholly understand patent law, but my understanding is that Fender hold the design patent for the headstock shape, but for body shape it's open season.

Oddly, pretty certain that while we feel it's fine to alter the headstocks of the Harley Benton and Bass Centre models, this wouldn't happen with Sadowsky or Lakland derivatives.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm really not a fan of Jazz/Precision basses, even less so copies thereof, but these look OK. 

Much as always is the case, the take on the headstock design is, as usual, horrific; I don't wholly understand patent law, but my understanding is that Fender hold the design patent for the headstock shape, but for body shape it's open season.

Oddly, pretty certain that while we feel it's fine to alter the headstocks of the Harley Benton and Bass Centre models, this wouldn't happen with Sadowsky or Lakland derivatives.

Leo nicked the design off Paul Bigsby as well, the HB guys could just say they were doing a close approximation of a Bigsby headstock and it unintentionally turned out looking exactly like a Fender one.

bigsby-vs-fender-headstock.png

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks to @lksmks792 for the heads-up. 

Ordered a black/tort Mustang-a-like , missed these when they first launched so purchased on past reviews. 

I like the tuner and selector switch upgrade, HB seems to have listened to comments from the likes of LowEnd Lobster and BasstheWorld.

Bargain JMJ for £200.👍

Edited by JohnDaBass
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Leo nicked the design off Paul Bigsby as well, the HB guys could just say they were doing a close approximation of a Bigsby headstock and it unintentionally turned out looking exactly like a Fender one.

bigsby-vs-fender-headstock.png

I'm pretty certain that Bigsby didn't invent that shape either, as it looks very like headstocks seen on bowed instruments like basses, violins, etc. albeit turned on the side.

• Like 1

That must be what they've been concentrating on for the past few weeks instead of stocking up on existing models. 

I've had a hankering for a cheap HB acoustic bass for a local drop in jam session I've been frequenting. But there isn't a single bloody one on Thomann's website other than a travel bass and a uke bass. 🤬

I wonder if they'll introduce headless models - they had a headless guitar, the Dullahan, but that's gone (not before I bought one though). They're not averse to making non-clone instruments - after all, the HBZ neck-throughs with a slight resemblance to Peavey Grinds are still going strong.

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

I wonder if they'll introduce headless models - they had a headless guitar, the Dullahan, but that's gone (not before I bought one though). They're not averse to making non-clone instruments - after all, the HBZ neck-throughs with a slight resemblance to Peavey Grinds are still going strong.

Yes indeed. But they disappeared for a good few years. 

I wonder why they decided to reproduce them?

There was some muppet trying to sell one for a grand and a half on eBay. 🤣

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

Was that the Kiesel Osiris copy?