Why become a member? ×

Post a pic of your Bass god from your teen years

Posted (edited)

Andy Rourke 😗👌

It was only relatively recently that I discovered that most of his beautiful, melodic and highly memorable driving bass contributions to The Smiths were performed using regular (and pretty high tension) Rotosound 66s, but tuned up to F#! He made it look easy.

Fabulous talent.

c057cc3b63e0d0616492559e4009e9d7a5-the-smiths.rsquare.w330.jpg

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Andy Rourke 😗👌

It was only relatively recently that I discovered that most of his beautiful, melodic and highly memorable driving bass contributions to The Smiths were performed using regular (and pretty high tension) Rotosound 66s, but tuned up to F#! He made it look easy.

Fabulous talent.

c057cc3b63e0d0616492559e4009e9d7a5-the-smiths.rsquare.w330.jpg

Not a fan of the Smiths i'm afraid but i've never heard of tuning up to F#. Why not just play it 2 frets up with normal tuning. Bit baffled by that one.

Was there a reason for it that i'm missing ?

Genuinely curious.

Love his bass rig. I had one of those big Peavey heads. They were amazing but heavy beasts but you could get a huge array of tones from them. 

Dave

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rushbo said:

Has anyone mentioned John Deacon yet? The bass break in "Liar" from the first Queen album was the first time a bass part really hit home with me.

Dz7uO2LU8AA-U_Q.thumb.jpg.06ab004ca5d15aa23389096dacc76ea4.jpg

You even managed to pick the same picture! Great choice. 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not a fan of the Smiths i'm afraid but i've never heard of tuning up to F#. Why not just play it 2 frets up with normal tuning. Bit baffled by that one.

Was there a reason for it that i'm missing ?

Genuinely curious.

Love his bass rig. I had one of those big Peavey heads. They were amazing but heavy beasts but you could get a huge array of tones from them. 

Dave

I believe it was due to Johnny Marr mostly playing with a capo on second fret or tuning up to F#, and as Andy's basslines were quite busy it allowed him to get around easier while still being able to use the E string open.

Obviously he could've also used a capo, but as any bassist who's tried that likely knows they don't tend to work too well on bass and often end up muting one of the open strings.

Edited by bakerster135
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, bakerster135 said:

I believe it was due to Johnny Marr mostly playing with a capo on second fret or tuning up to F#, and as Andy's basslines were quite busy it allowed him to get around easier while still being able to use the E string open.

Obviously he could've also used a capo, but as any bassist who's tried that likely knows they don't tend to work too well on bass and often end up muting one of the open strings.

I've often wondered if Johnny Marr wrote and played in that tuning to suit Morrissey's natural vocal range at the time. It worked for them anyway. 

On 20/05/2024 at 19:47, Jackroadkill said:

Extra points if you can name them all (no reverse-Googling allowed!).

Cliff Burton, obviously, too.

images.jpeg

Is that Enid ?

11 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Is that Enid ?

From Painted Lady?  No, it's Melissa Auf Der Maur, who played in Hole and has been involved in many other projects, most notably her own albums under the Auf Der Maur name.  She's a superb lyricist and vocalist as well as a great bass player.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

now, some three plus decades from my teens, almost all of the bassists posted have been influences on my playing

however, someones mention of sisters of mercy reminded me:

3f3d82fd629da7447f65a02d4f50bd73-3648486227.thumb.jpg.c5fa25def0b3f8bdc9d03e5144fc579f.jpg

Patricia Morrison had a huge influence on me in my late teens, admittedly not in terms of bass playing though

edit: possibly in terms of right hand technique.........

Edited by godathunder
rudeness
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Nice old thread this. We've all cited our famous heroes but to be honest there was a guy back in the very early 80's who played in our local area, probably the smoothest bassist Ive ever heard/seen and he's still at it as far as I know.....Guy had a huge influence on me. Some people are born to play a certain instrument and he was a heck of a melodic player, one of those that made it look like he wasnt even trying. Funny thing was I eventually replaced him in a pretty good show band but I was never as good... And I knew it. 

• Like 2

Slightly left field but as a teen Psychobilly I would often travel to The Klubfoot and especially if Frenzy were playing.

Steve Whitehouse played high octane slap bass and main vocals. 

51910007666_64df73df6a_b.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Man, some great gigs there, good times.

strange to think some of us probably were at the same place, same time but had no idea …

• Like 2