Why become a member? ×

5 string recommendations for Gospel/Church band

Hi All,

I need some advice from my fellow Chatters. 

I have a very nice passive P which does the P thing really well. (**I know…. The shame of having only 1 bass**).

I'm looking at joining the church 'happy clappy' band later this year and need something with a little more tonal variation. I also want something different for a bit of fun and to try some chord/classical music. All of the current band players (they rotate) have 5 strings, so that would seem a good place to start. So I'm thinking :-

• 5 String Active (3 band)
  • 35in scale, but with a thinner (depth) neck.
  • Jazz/Soaps/Humbuckers/Splits (not PJ)
  • Smaller body than a P
  • Maple fret board (nice and bright)

The second hand market seems to be pretty bad at the moment for sellers, but it’s a good place for buyers, and there a number of bargains on this very boutique, e.g. Spector's, Yamaha's, Peavy's and Ibbys of course.

I'm not tied to any brand so happy to consider anything, I'm looking at a £600 budget with a further £150 that my wife knows about and another £150 that she doesn't, but don't really want to spend it all.

Any advice gratefully appreciated from current church players, or those who could point me in a good direction.

Thx 

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

MTD Kingston is the first that springs to mind. Good range of models and you can get them for your initial budget of £600.

Heck, I got my most basic one for £250

PXL_20201104_091157029.thumb.jpg.857bdfd780b1afb66117b62bfd8f724c.jpg

Winner Winner church band dinner.

• Like 4

You have a P with 34" scale and 19 mm string spacing. You say you want a 35" scale and probably get something with 17 mm string spacing?

A small bodied 5 string, well your equation is not the easiest with your current budget.

Similar ergonomics here would help you with the change. Do trials based on the ergonomics rather than pickups, or eq.

• Like 2

MTD Kingston Andrew Gouche 5 would be absolutely perfect. MTD’s have that proper Gospel sound. There’s a used one on Bass Direct at the mo for £1,399 which is a snip for how good the bass is, and it comes with Bartolini pickups & preamp as stock 

EDIT - just noticed the budget restrictions. I would still look for an MTD, perhaps a used ZX5 or Saratoga 5 which would easily fall within your budget 

Edited by Paddy777
  • Like 3

I've never played a Kingston, but if they're anything like my Grendel, they'll be very nice.

I did hear a Kingston being played live in a band on a French camp site in Brittany back in 2023. It sounded fantastic.

• Like 1

I play in my church most weeks. Sometimes on 5 string if there’s going to be songs in Eb or Bb. Otherwise I find the 4 string basses including a FendervP suffice.

My 5 string is the Gibson EB5, passive humbuckers with pull pots to change them to single coil”Jazz” type. I got mine for a price within your budget. I used to also use a Spector Spectorcore 5 which was 35in scale and that additionally had a piezo in the bridge offering a very different palate.

IMG_0395.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, itu said:

You have a P with 34" scale and 19 mm string spacing. You say you want a 35" scale and probably get something with 17 mm string spacing?

A small bodied 5 string, well your equation is not the easiest with your current budget.

Similar ergonomics here would help you with the change. Do trials based on the ergonomics rather than pickups, or eq.

Good advice. 

In electric bass terms, 4-string P to 5-string modern super-long scale is a bit of a jump. The transition can be helped by opting for tighter string spacing. Equally, don't dismiss shorter scale lengths - in my experience, a consistent or 'tight' B string is not limited to 35" or above. A brass nut or zero fret will help with consistent clarity too. Most extended range basses will have shallower necks anyway and asymmetrical neck carves are also common. Expect at least 45mm at the nut. As a result of this, ergonomics are very different and really necessitate certain techniques (no thumb wrapped around the fretboard unless you have enormous hands!).

Sound-wise, you can't go wrong with soapbars and MMs will be fine too. Modern voiced single coils if you want less welly. Be wary of option paralysis with complex onboard preamps; a simple 2-band eq (even boost only) is plenty as the kinds of pickups in these basses are naturally 'scooped' in the mids. This is generally great in a gospel context where there is much more sonic space for bass guitar; relative lack of chord-heavy and distorted guitar parts really help with this. 

Modern, clean amps are the way to go with this; think Class D and 10s or 12s. A lot of prominent American players use GK.

The role of bass in contemporary gospel means a good grasp of music theory is a big advantage and ear-training is a necessity. Band MDs (often keys players) will call changes; songs are often started by vocalists in their chosen key; music starts and stops at different times, often with very short notice; spontaneous key changes are common. The Nashville Numbers System will be your best friend! 

A final thought - listen to lots of music!

Some artists:

Fred Hammond

William McDowell

Tamela Mann

Yolanda Adams

Donnie McClurkin

Marvin Sapp

Kurt Carr

Tye Tribbett

Mary Mary

Israel Houghton

Kirk Franklin

Darwin Hobbs

Donald Lawrence 

Hezekiah Walker

Anthony Evans

Some bass players:

Justin Raines

Andrew Gouche

Sharay Reed

Fred Hammond

Lots of great online content too.

I hope some of this helps and enjoy the journey!

Tobie

• Like 2

Don't get fixated on the neck length, fretboard material, or the number of bands of EQ. There's plenty of Ibanezes that would be somewhere near your requirements, plus the Peavey Cirrus BXP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tobiewharton said:

In electric bass terms, 4-string P to 5-string modern super-long scale is a bit of a jump. The transition can be helped by opting for tighter string spacing.

I had lots of issues in my transition just because my muscle memory did not like that narrower (17 mm) string spacing. Now my fivers have 19 mm spacing, and I couldn't be happier.

True about those scale lengths: my old five string MG Quantum Custom became far better when I found the right B string (.120"). I thought fatter would be better, but no. Be open and do trials.

• Like 2

Another vote for MTD here, although it looks like that Z5 at Promenade has sold now (perhaps bought by OP ?!).

I have a Super 5 fully Bartolini'd and I use it in a hard rock band. I recently had a Z6 also which was a little too refined for what I do - but had a great sizzle to it. An MTD Z5 is definitely ideal for what has been specified though.

image.thumb.png.03f75e5c18ee84cfaa08a51543980686.png

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Machines said:

Another vote for MTD here, although it looks like that Z5 at Promenade has sold now (perhaps bought by OP ?!).

I have a Super 5 fully Bartolini'd and I use it in a hard rock band. I recently had a Z6 also which was a little too refined for what I do - but had a great sizzle to it. An MTD Z5 is definitely ideal for what has been specified though.

image.thumb.png.03f75e5c18ee84cfaa08a51543980686.png

I’d love an MTD Super! I bought an MTD Saratoga 5 from @tobiewharton last year with all the Bartolini upgrades and it sounds epic, I’ve probably done at least 50 gigs with it and it’s so comfortable to play, but they just sound SO good. 

Talking of Sharay Reed - I picked up a MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe V made in 2000 for £450 with the Suhr pickups (single pole pieces like Delano often do) and this also sounds absolutely fantastic particularly for your requirements - not massively like a jazz bass but a super modern, clean tone that is perfect for Gospel and was played by Reed in that famous clip. The B string is great, no reason to ‘need’ a 35” scale for a good B, but these Fender Jazz Deluxe 5’s are out there for not a huge amount of money - they’re very good and have the exact kind of tone you’re after (however if you put a gun to my head to choose I’d got for the MTD). Obviously the one I got for that price was “well gigged” 😆 but its great - it came with the Suhr designed preamp separately as it had been converted to passive (so yeh it has an input on the body too) but I’ll either stick that back on or an East Retro on it, but it doesn’t sound like any other Fender Jazz I’ve had - and I’ve had loads. There’s a USA made version too but they’re over a grand usually 

image000000.thumb.jpeg.4d35ff3f5e9c7bb9bb12bacbb2a444cc.jpegimage000000.thumb.jpeg.a105dfa55e3eff88db03accf811713d0.jpeg

😮‍💨 🔥 🔥 🙌 

Edited by Paddy777
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I play in my church most weeks. Sometimes on 5 string if there’s going to be songs in Eb or Bb. Otherwise I find the 4 string basses including a FendervP suffice.

My 5 string is the Gibson EB5, passive humbuckers with pull pots to change them to single coil”Jazz” type. I got mine for a price within your budget. I used to also use a Spector Spectorcore 5 which was 35in scale and that additionally had a piezo in the bridge offering a very different palate.

IMG_0395.jpeg

That same Spectracore is currently on offer….

• Like 1

Here’s an idea!…..💡 

The Ken Smith Design Proto J was like the Ken Smith version of the Sadowsky Metro Expresses - Check em out on YouTube, they don’t sound bad at all and they get some really good reviews. There was some complaints about them from some people but I think back in the day but that was cos they weren’t that cheap new imported into the U.K - they’re basically a really decent Jazz bass that sound perfect for you & they’re popular with some of the Gospel playing Bass YouTubers from the US like Johnny Lee Long etc. Couple of them here 👇 but there’s loads out there  

Anyway the 5 string is 35” scale and there’s on for sale on here (that I’ve been tempted by myself several times, but I just don’t really need it - although it doesn’t usually stop me hah) that has been upgraded with a John East 2B J-Tone preamp, which I can tell you from experience is absolutely immense, for only £400!! (The preamp alone is £180 inc VAT and worth every penny) 

You can then use the remaining money from your budget to stick in some Bartolini B-Axis pickups in, which are absolutely made for your type of sound - you’d then have a very nice 35” scale Ken Smith 5 string jazz bass with a combo of John East preamp & Bartolini B-Axis pickups in it which would sound amazing, and you’d potentially have change from £600, which is nuts!  I genuinely don’t know the BC’er selling it but he should definitely put me on commission 🤣 

Here’s a video of a guy playing that combo of a John East preamp & Bartolini B- Axis pickups - sounds pretty impressive 👇 

• Like 3

Thanks to this I just found Sharay Reed’s YouTube channel - he’s playing a fodera now - but honestly by the time it’s in the mix I think any 5 string with jazz pickup positions, played over the bridge, would get you close enough…. Even a stingray you could make work. 

the bigger issue would be playing as well as he does! 

• Like 2