Why become a member? ×

The Non Bass Musicians thread...

Of course we dont just like bass do we. My favorite musicians are not bass players. A thread for your favourite musicians who dont play bass because we are mature and appreciate music as a whole. Anything from brass, drums, piano, guitar, synth or any stringed instrument. Anything that makes noise well.... Is all good here.

This guy is just a MONSTER. Ive yet to see or witness a guitar player who has this much on the guitar.There is no doubt Norman Brown could probably play anything written down in front of him. Of course its subjective.But his feel and touch. James Ross is his bass player who is also a MONSTER... 

• Like 2

I'm always in awe of the sheer speed of bluegrass players. This is a lovely little phone recording of three of the best around today – particularly Noam Pickleny (banjo) and Brittany Haas (fiddle) – roaring through an old folksong and managing to sound like a band twice the size.

Edited by Mediocre Polymath
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

This..... I will never ever forget listening to Setting me Up on their first album on random play, then this played. It was a magic moment. 

Huh. So, this is weird. I've been ambiently aware of that song for as long as I can remember – just as something that gets played on oldies stations. I don't think I've ever seriously listened to it, and definitely not noticed how good the guitar playing is.

• Like 2

I have been a life long fan of Dave Grusin. A top, top keyboard player who just happened to compose knock out Film Scores and very memorable TV Themes.

His bands and Orchestras were often filled with a lot of my favourite musicians as well - A win win for me.

:D

I just so happened to watch a film last night called 'Havana' and Dave Grusin composed the score.

A mixture of Latin Music and Orchestral cues. This piece below 'Cuba Libra (Se Fue) is from that film.

• Like 1

This could end up being neverending. I'll just suggest one young multi-instrumentalist, although for me his real talent is his guitar playing - Tom Misch. Great jazz chops, a lovely feel. Not 100% convinced by his finished productions, but his playing is sublime.

Mine has to be Bill Evans and Miles Davis. Here they are together performing an amazing version of, 'On Green Dolphin Street'.

I'm also going to have to add Lisa Germano, the super talented violinist who played with John Mellencamp, Simple Minds and many other artists.

50 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Two of my favourites together here - Hiromi Uehara and Dave Fiucyznski... 

And on the sax, James Carter!

Hiromi's Sonic Bloom with the great Tony Grey on bass and Dave Fiucyznski breaking lots of rules with his guitar playing was her best band in my opinion. Her later line ups never had the same sense of immediacy and risk taking

Edited by musicbassman
  • Like 1

I play guitar and drums as well as bass and viz guitar I really like a lot of post-punk/New Wave players such as Will Sergeant, John McGeoch, James Honeyman Scott etc and a whole bunch of acoustic fingerstyle, bluegrass and country Tele  players e.g. Leo Kottke, Scotty Anderson, Brent Mason, Tommy Emmanuel, Tony Rice...there's loads. As for drums there's a lot from greats from the heyday of jazz e.g. the Jones's (Jo and Elvin), Gene Krupa , etc to funkers like Dennis Chambers, Ziggy Modeliste, Mike Clarke, Jabo Starks,. Clyde Stubblefield etc. Away from drums and guitar big faves are Dobro meister Jerry  Douglas, bluegrass banjo players Earl Scruggs and Bela Fleck, loads of jazz trumpeters like Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Donald Byrd and Randy Brecker.  My first instrument was alto sax so I've loads of time for the  great jazzers from Coltrane, Parker, Rollins to Michael Brecker.  Here's a clip of Randy and Michael Brecker doing their thing.. BTW check out the ace bass playing  (James Genus) and drumming (Dennis Chambers)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Of course we dont just like bass do we. My favorite musicians are not bass players. A thread for your favourite musicians who dont play bass because we are mature and appreciate music as a whole. Anything from brass, drums, piano, guitar, synth or any stringed instrument. Anything that makes noise well.... Is all good here.

This guy is just a MONSTER. Ive yet to see or witness a guitar player who has this much on the guitar.There is no doubt Norman Brown could probably play anything written down in front of him. Of course its subjective.But his feel and touch. James Ross is his bass player who is also a MONSTER... 

very nice, very george benson, lovely feel too

• Like 1