Why become a member? ×

Music You Tubers, the good, the bad and the ugly

YT is awash with music YTers and amid the hundreds there is a wide variety of quality and entertainment value. I subscribe to Rick Beato's channel and indeed he's an affable geezer with some good material. He's very even handed in his judgements which is a good thing but can also be less of a good thing. Sometimes, a bit of controversy and being opinionated is good. I've started watching Anthony Edwards' channel. He's a pro drummer, teacher and has played with prog bands IQ and Frost and Robert Plant. Content leans mainly towards prog and jazz fusion  although he has pretty eclectic tastes. Now, I'm no fan of either genre but that doesn't get in the way. Anyone follow any music content makers on YT, other than SBL and other bass YTers. Who do you rate and who's best avoided IYO.

Edited by Barking Spiders

I've been learning guitar (sue me), so I've been watching channels like Anyone Can Play Guitar - really good tutorials and covers a range of styles, like jazz, blues, indie, punk, rockabilly, reggae... Justin Guitar is very good too. he covers a lot of theory as well as songs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Away from bass-only content, this guy is one of my favourites.

Chanan Hanspal (or ‘The Beato of the Valleys’, as I like to refer to him, to no one in particular!) is really good. He does excellent deep dives on the likes of Bowie, Zappa, XTC, The Who, and the Mighty Boosh (?!) amongst others.

A lot of the theory goes over my head, but I find it fun/interesting to watch nonetheless…

• Like 1

Bad Gear ( Audio Pilz)  is my fave you tube channel . 
Not bass related , and more synth stuff . Musical genius, with a great sense of humour . His weekly show on Fridays is only 10 mins long approx , but great entertainment . 

I watch sonicstate also , which of later months is hit and miss . It depends who is on the panel on the day . Weds 4pm

I tend to watch next day in case it gets boring . Some of the guests and topics are really good though .

Gaz Williams is a phenomenal bass player ( also synths etc ) , and is good entertainment when he is on .

looppop is a great reviewer of all things electronic . Highly recommend 

Rick Beato for me as well...

Also, I like Media Music Composer, Guy Michelmore. His YouTube channel is updated regularly with composing and music theory tips, along with software demonstrations etc.

6 hours ago, Crusoe said:

I've been learning guitar (sue me), so I've been watching channels like Anyone Can Play Guitar - really good tutorials and covers a range of styles, like jazz, blues, indie, punk, rockabilly, reggae... Justin Guitar is very good too. he covers a lot of theory as well as songs.

Can definitely  agree with "Anyone Can Play Guitar"... really good tutorials and aligns well with my music taste.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Can definitely  agree with "Anyone Can Play Guitar"... really good tutorials and aligns well with my music taste.

Same here. The only Can tutorial I found on YouTube was on his channel.

Nearly half-hour’s worth of Michael Karoli inspired insight to be watched again and again… 

One I came across recently is KDH and it seems all he does is moan about stuff, mostly Chapman guitars, he really likes to winge about them. 

A much better one I actually enjoy is Pat Finnerty. He's kind of the anti Beato with his What Makes This Song Stink videos. The hour long video to find the worst Lenny Kravitz song is my particular favourite. Lots of comedy and weird distractions.

Edited by SteveXFR
  • Like 1

The only one I'm really a regular watcher of is Adam Neely. He's a great bass player, but he's also a conservatoire-trained jazz musician who has an in-depth knowledge of music theory and composition. He's also just a far more articulate and thoughtful person than seems reasonable for someone who makes YouTube videos for a living.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

David Bennett Piano - not for my non-existent keyboard skills, but his looks at chord progressions, time signatures, etc.

Mike Verta's channel is good for Piano/Keys as well. Lots of great tips.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2024 at 18:31, SteveXFR said:

A much better one I actually enjoy is Pat Finnerty.

Love Pat Finnerty. The Weezer video was really well done and the Kid Rock ft Monster Truck video had me stitches throughout.

Edited by Ruiner
  • Like 1

On 09/04/2024 at 10:47, Barking Spiders said:

YT is awash with music YTers and amid the hundreds there is a wide variety of quality and entertainment value. I subscribe to Rick Beato's channel and indeed he's an affable geezer with some good material. He's very even handed in his judgements which is a good thing but can also be less of a good thing. Sometimes, a bit of controversy and being opinionated is good. 

Rick Beato has Views on modern music all sounding the same and heavily compressed, so there's definitely some controversy possible there.

Outside that my favourite music- and non-bass-related channel is The Charismatic Voice, where opera singer, voice coach, etc. Elizabeth Zharoff reacts to songs but then explains what's going on mainly from a singing technique point of view but also throws in some music theory as well. She does interviews with singers too like David Draiman, Lzzy Hale, Tatiana Shmayluk, etc. which are very informative. 

On 09/04/2024 at 19:06, Mediocre Polymath said:

The only one I'm really a regular watcher of is Adam Neely. He's a great bass player, but he's also a conservatoire-trained jazz musician who has an in-depth knowledge of music theory and composition. He's also just a far more articulate and thoughtful person than seems reasonable for someone who makes YouTube videos for a living.

It's a shame he's stepping back a bit from YT because he's definitely one of my favourites.

On 09/04/2024 at 18:31, SteveXFR said:

One I came across recently is KDH and it seems all he does is moan about stuff, mostly Chapman guitars, he really likes to winge about them. 

He's had good moans about Peavey and Behringer as well, but he definitely has a huge bee in his bonnet about Rob Chapman and Lee Anderton.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, asingardenof said:

It's a shame he's stepping back a bit from YT because he's definitely one of my favourites.

Huh. I didn't know that. Makes sense though, those videos look like they take a lot of time to write, record and edit. I know from colleagues who work in digital video production that the bottom has completely fallen out of the YT business. The per-view revenue share rate is about half what it was a few years ago.

Just now, Mediocre Polymath said:

Huh. I didn't know that. Makes sense though, those videos look like they take a lot of time to write, record and edit. I know from colleagues who work in digital video production that the bottom has completely fallen out of the YT business. The per-view revenue share rate is about half what it was a few years ago.

Yeah, he's concentrating on writing and performing music so video releases will be less frequent.

Has anyone mentioned Glenn Fricker of Spectre Sound Studios yet? It's about music production and recording rather than the musical content itself, and the focus is metal (which I don't do), and his presentation will definitely not be everyone's cup of tea, but I find him both amusing and informative.

12 hours ago, Ruiner said:

Love Pat Finnerty. The Weezer video was really well done and the Kid Rock ft Monster Truck video had me stitches throughout.

Monster Truck getting run over by a Toyota Rav 4 really got me in the funny bone. Weezer was made better by it being one of his favourite bands 

• Haha 1