Why become a member? ×

What exactly did You did after Your last gig ?

Went up to the "green room" to store said gear, treated myself to the 1 or 5 slices of the 9 boxes of pizza laid on by the promoter, grabbed a few of the free beers and went back down to the gig room to watch the next bands.

• Like 2

I haven't played out in a few years, but this story is worth posting.  I was in a band back in the 2000s where it got to the point that the gig itself had become just a delivery mechanism for the afterparty.  We did a couple of reunion shows in 2022, in San Francisco and Brooklyn, and we picked up that tradition again for old times sake but this time we all were older and had enough money to rent out a space in a bar or hold house parties.

Did a line of ants, threw a tv out of the window then drove my roller into a swimming pool.

(Actually, I just had a pint and a chat with bandmates as we packed up our stuff). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I normally get the kit off the stage, go over to the merchandise stall and if we sell any CDs, wind up signing them (devaluing them, I'm sure!) and posing for a few photos with people. At the smaller shows, I normally just have a drink and chat with the audience members who approach me. 

Same as every gig. Pack down as quickly as possible, load the van, get on the road, drive for a few hours listening to a podcast, get home and go straight to bed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nilorius said:

Hmm....looks like most of You pretty much like to get lost as soon as possible 🤪

It's work. I wouldn't expect an electrician or builder to do anything other than pack up and leave when his / her job was done. 

6 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

It's work. I wouldn't expect an electrician or builder to do anything other than pack up and leave when his / her job was done. 

Well, i preffer (before or after packing) to have 1 or 2 - 0,5 good, dark beer or tasty whiskey, except the gigs where nothing like that is available. I don't have to drive home couse my health doesn't allow me to drive a car, so a bit of alc is not a problem for me. If You think it's all bad and not right....keep thinking, i'm doing.

24 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Hmm....looks like most of You pretty much like to get lost as soon as possible 🤪

I got my end away with three groupies, did a few lines of marching powder, drank the bar dry, beat up the bouncer and spent the night in jail...

Nah, but I did stay after getting off the stage to see the band on after us and have a few jars with my bandmates as it was a local gig so no car.  Most times it is just a case of pack up, get the money then head home because we're driving.  We call the trip to the bar for pints of water the "walk of shame"...

Packing away quickly also lets the venue staff get away swiftly too. Hanging around won’t win you any friends with them and possibly affect future bookings. For those of us that drive, a relaxing glass of something isn’t an option until we get home. 

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

We call the trip to the bar for pints of water the "walk of shame"...

😂

• Like 1

Packed up my gear and removed it from the stage so that the next band could get set up, took said gear to the green room, hung around to see the first half of the main bands set then set off home. 

7 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I got my end away with three groupies, did a few lines of marching powder, drank the bar dry, beat up the bouncer and spent the night in jail...

Nah, but I did stay after getting off the stage to see the band on after us and have a few jars with my bandmates as it was a local gig so no car.  Most times it is just a case of pack up, get the money then head home because we're driving.  We call the trip to the bar for pints of water the "walk of shame"...

10 years ago i had a 3 year peariod where i had no job and the only way to get the money was to play with musicians, who played old, simple, cheesy songs all their life, for 3 hour programs at one night. Those 3 years i fealt like a chicken $hit, but had no other way. Never ever will get back to kind of a job/stage life. I preffer really good covers or original music with artists.

2 hours ago, nilorius said:

Well, i preffer (before or after packing) to have 1 or 2 - 0,5 good, dark beer or tasty whiskey, except the gigs where nothing like that is available. I don't have to drive home couse my health doesn't allow me to drive a car, so a bit of alc is not a problem for me. If You think it's all bad and not right....keep thinking, i'm doing.

Literally doesn't concern me either way what you do. In my particular case, all my gigs are at corporate events and private functions. I'm not a guest or a customer. I'm simply there to do a job.

• Like 1

Went home and checked t'Interweb for bad grammar and punctuation.

(... and, for pedagogic reference, it should be 'What exactly did you did do after your last gig..?' :friends:...)

Even then 'most recent gig' would be better than 'last gig', except for those really ending their playing career, but that's simply pedantry. -_-

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Went home and checked t'Interweb for bad grammar and punctuation.

(... and, for pedagogic reference, it should be 'What exactly did you did do after your last gig..?' :friends:...)

Even then 'most recent gig' would be better than 'last gig', except for those really ending their playing career, but that's simply pedantry. -_-

Ok - You won the node. Though, I never said my english grammar and punctuation is very good and stable.😝 I am just a poor boy from a poor family! 🤘

Edited by nilorius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1