Why become a member? ×

Is there a popular bass player, that you just don’t get?

McCartney. I love the Beatles, but when I listen to McCartneys bass lines, with a few honourable exceptions, I hear simplistic approach, ill considered note lengths, a lack of groove and precision. I think he was a better guitarist than bass player. The fact that he comes across as Mr Fake, and he's an arrogant prick in real life (I said good morning to him at a sailing club once, and he told me to f*** off and stop hassling him), probably doesn't help

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sting. Love him as an original thinking, hugely talented renaissance man but that pretentious thumb thing he does where the bass just disapperars into the mire? Ive tried it, just stroke the string with the soft part of the thumb?...awful, mushy and indestinct, and now everyone does it. No ta.

I don't 'get' lots and lots of bass players' appeal, most of them have been mentioned more than once.  But here's one - and I fear this is a bit like telling an Irish joke in a Dublin pub - Lemmy.  I just don't get him or Motorhead.  Never have.  I kind of think 'Ace of Spades' is an OK tune but hardly enough to prop up a 40 year career.  To me it just proves how far having 'attitude' and a big gob can get you because, so far as I can see, he has no other attributes to warrant his Deity status.  Just the one bass sound and Janet and John song writing. :) 

• Sad 1

Wow, what a totally negative thread .... OK, I'm in. 

For me Wooten - I generally like 'gifted' musicians who are technically very good, but for me he's just too much widdle widdle.

Also Les Claypool. I don't get the fuss. I bought an album decades ago and it was so bad I took it back to the shop (HMV) and asked for an exchange (which they did!)

I have to admit that my eyebrows raised when I saw a few of my fave bassists named here. Years ago I might have been a bit irked, but these days I actually celebrate the fact that we don't all like the same thing. Diversity rules!

• Like 2

On 02/04/2024 at 00:07, neilp said:

I said good morning to him at a sailing club once, and he told me to f*** off and stop hassling him

Maybe because he instinctively knew this:

when I listen to McCartneys bass lines, with a few honourable exceptions, I hear simplistic approach, ill considered note lengths, a lack of groove and precision. I think he was a better guitarist than bass player. 

Good morning

Mr Fake

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

31 minutes ago, JJTee said:

Everyone* in this video:

*In reality, I do appreciate their technical ability, and musical knowledge. But the vast majority of this video leaves me stone cold…!

Yeah, not one on  there I think I could listen to 

I went through the first view and the clips he selected are everything I dislike about electric bass. Impressive.

I will compile a list of my top 25 greatest of all time "greatest bassist of all time" lists.

1 hour ago, JJTee said:

Everyone* in this video:

*In reality, I do appreciate their technical ability, and musical knowledge. But the vast majority of this video leaves me stone cold…!

I have watched the first two (25th and 24th) and number one. I think, and this links to other comments in here, there is a problem in assessing a virtuouso bass player by isolating a moment in which they show off. This is something they do. It is not a summary of what they do.

Number 24 was Victor Bailey. I did not like the solo in the video. I happen to love Victor Bailey and he is not a showoff. He is very expressive, emotional and measured

As for number 1, Wooten, it's not like he's spent his career doublethumping flat out. He's not one of my favourites I think as I am not much into slap. But you can hear him here supporting Bela Fleck's band

And you can hear him being a powerful presence but always interacting with the band in my favourite album of his

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JJTee said:

Everyone* in this video:

Goodness me, what a horrendous advert for bass playing! As mentioned previously, I do like technical/gifted players, but that was just a ton of horrendous, poor-quality-sound widdle. Don't think I bothered to watch it all, I just skipped to each player to see who he liked. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Angel said:

Goodness me, what a horrendous advert for bass playing! As mentioned previously, I do like technical/gifted players, but that was just a ton of horrendous, poor-quality-sound widdle. Don't think I bothered to watch it all, I just skipped to each player to see who he liked. 

Indeed. I got as far as Bakithi Kumalo (whose playing on Graceland I absolutely love) and decided to give up (unless Daryl Jones was after him, in which case that's how far I got). They sound far better in context. This reminded me of

• Like 2

This is brilliant. This thread reminds me of the famous James Coburn quote from Cross of Iron. Please feel free to substitute the names in it for bass players you hate (cough - sorry, "don't get").

"Do you think that just because you and Colonel Brandt are more enlightened than most officers that I hate you any less? I hate all officers, all the Stranskys, all the Triebigs, all the Iron Cross scavengers in the whole German army."

3 hours ago, JJTee said:

Everyone* in this video:

Most of the players are great, but the vids he's chosen are the bass equivalent of  giphy.gif

Edited by tinyd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I went through the first view and the clips he selected are everything I dislike about electric bass. Impressive.

I will compile a list of my top 25 greatest of all time "greatest bassist of all time" lists.

With clips of them playing all root notes, to display their true "greatness"?

33 minutes ago, tinyd said:

Most of the players are great, but the vids he's chosen are the bass equivalent of  giphy.gif

So he should have chosen 10 second clips of all of them playing nothing but root notes?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

"Greatness" is not a diarrhoea splatter of notes and no greatness was illustrated in the video so, yes, if a root note showed their musical ability better then it would have been more appropriate.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

With clips of them playing all root notes, to display their true "greatness"?

So he should have chosen 10 second clips of all of them playing nothing but root notes?

Doesn't have to be root notes at all - just some of the many available notes that are below the 7th fret would have been nice :)

Perhaps then the title of this thread should be;

“Is there a popular bass player, that you DO get, as far as their popularity is concerned, but cannot for the life of you understand why because as far you’re concerned they make a horrid noise?”

• Like 1

Watching that video and listening to that guy is one of the most fearful things I think Ive seen in the world of bass. No wonder AI will consign all of us to the dumpster. Meanwhile....a certain Mr Jamerson has my full attention....That's better.

7 hours ago, JJTee said:

Me too. I have seen some of them on stage. When a certain trio (SMV) was playing I liked Miller the most, when he played in the background. But soloing, meh...

I do understand worshiping this very narrow band of very fast (mainly Americain or those few popular in the States) bassists. Where are the others, are there any?

I am much more interested in those who are supportive. Flashy stuff is nice sometimes, but would I listen to bassists slapping their asses off on a daily basis? Larry Klein and his long, thoughtful notes on the other hand.

At the moment I listen to ABBA - Lay all your love on me, and Tears for fears - Everybody wants to rule the world. Solos, anyone? I wish I can (read: could) make the songs sound and feel as good as these guys have done. Now I will take my bass and start my daily playing and try to reach the feel of those unsung heroes'.

Jaco Pistorious. 

Does nothing for me, all very fancy playing but I just don't get it.

Fieldy

All strings clattering on frets and no notes.

Billy Sheehan 

All very fancy but most of the time I can't help thinking something more simple would serve the song better