Why become a member? ×

Erm .. "Ricky styled PB-Bass (Perfect balance)"

Okaaaaaay - so let's see if i can summarize...

• for some reason, best known to him and his cat, he likes to scallop the edges of fingerboards (**might be related);
  • when he obtained the bass, the finish on the top horn was present and correct (in one photo), but whilst scalloping the fingerboard at the 12th fret, his concentration slipped ...and so did his rotary file/sander;
  • he fitted a new (longer) neck, and didn't take into account total string-length and possible neck-dive**;
  • so now he has to fit a bridge which overhangs the rear of the body - he desperately loses some forward weight, by chopping the headstock in half, horizontally - and in the process has to cut the corner off a tuner plate (see rear headstock), so it will all fit on the new 'skinny' head;
  • but all this still hasn't solved the neck-dive, so he has to extend out the top strap button by an inch

I believe this approach is known among Luthiers as 'Lateral Thinking'  - ie. wide of the mark

Edited by sandy_r

Think there's been at least two threads on this already!

The body was originally a Tiger Music branded Amazon cheapy, was looking at them briefly for a potential project as they're kinda like a Warwick Fortress which is the best bass shape. EDIT: The bass with a mini practice amp, cable and strap was £112 delivered brand new.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiger-Red-Electric-Bass-Guitar/dp/B0096CJJ2S

MDP bought the body from an eBay seller who was parting one out, can't remember how much he paid (it's on one of the other threads) but it wasn't much. Then he did this to it.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

What's that bass in the background? Thought it was an SD Curlee but I'm not sure the neck pickup orientation is correct.

More of a curly wurly!

Strangely I gained a useful instrument building idea from looking at that bass.  Don't ask, I won't tell you. I was surprised that I did, so my time was not unproductive.  Many years ago I wondered on a BC thread how he has 100% positive feedback on the well known internet auction website,  that mystery remains to this day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I clicked 'watch item' on eBay and I received a message from the seller with a special offer for this bass!

Apparently it has 'got that lovely grumbly tone'. If only I had the spare cash 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot2024-03-21at22_25_00.jpeg.6398bd4dcbd2faf56f8b837fa09f96ef.jpeg

Screenshot2024-03-21at22_23_07.jpeg.1ce6bfba5f1d2055895e4f24b9beb725.jpeg

I think any buyer would be making a distinctly grumbly tone if that turned up in their doorstep! 

• Haha 2