Why become a member? ×

Any Favourite Whacky Songs/Instrumentals?

Looking at the darker side of humour and a bit of punk......

TSOL - Code blue, for a tune about necrophilia

DI - Richard hung himself. Slayer also covered it, but I prefer this

Angry Samoans - They saved Hitlers cock

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Maude said:

I'm not sure if Ministry would ever want to be classed as whacky but Jesus Built My Hotrod is edging towards that territory... and is fantastic. Puts a smile on my face every time. 

I really wish Gibby had down more with Al and the Ministry/RevCo guys.

21 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RFDW9b_ejfI&si=ULoES7CdemU73xTW

Still can't work out how to embed things.

Not quite an instrumental,  but hey...

Under the video is a button marked "Share". Click on that, then click on the "Copy" button under the row of icons. Then paste the copied link here.

One of my favourite instrumental tracks ever, a Serge Gainsboroug title track from the Cannabis soundtrack. 

Also love this song by the Beastie Boys 1994 record Ill Communication which was basically the soundtrack of my teens. I quite often play along to this with a nice fat fuzz tone. 

Edited by Bassybert

Brilliant thread!

I love finding new music that pushes my boundaries a bit, so finding intriguing quirky new music is always something I enjoy.

A couple of years ago, I went through a phase of listening to French artists (who are, generally, already quirkier than those of us not living on the European mainland). Many artists jumped out and have stuck around in my regular rotation, but this one featured heavily for a while. I think, as well as being quirky, it's cool and sophisticated, and eminently listenable.

Malik Djoudi is also a very interesting artist in my opinion. Again, en Francais. What's he singing about? F***ed if I know, but it sounds good.

John Frusciante, who I have followed since RHCP Stadium Arcadium days, went really experimental with his solo stuff a few years ago. It's not bad, but it can be a little jarring if you're hearing it for the first time. I actually quite like it.

(FWIW, I have a first release vinyl of the above album for sale on Discogs, among several other albums)

Thom Yorke and Flea had a very interesting collaboration about 10 years ago. Sadly, this supergroup only ever released one album. I thought it was great. This song was played live by Thom on the Jonathan Ross show - it's a lovely stripped-down version (just Thom and a piano) and is, in a sense, a much nicer song in the live version - would certainly appeal to a wider audience than this techno-masterpiece.

I think, in general, a lot of modern music is less formulaic, or certainly follow very different formulas than the major recording artists of the 60s up until the early 2000s. I think certain movements tried to break the formula (like prog rock), and some are still persevering with it, but what's doing well today is almost unrecognisable to what did well 60 years ago. I like to listen to Lindsay Buckingham - he's still writing and recording solo music, and it is very good, but it does really feel like a man stuck in a certain period of music history. For somebody who wrote so many hits, it's a little sad to see that his music won't be enjoyed by as many people today simply because tastes have moved on from what now feels like a rather tired music-writing formula.

Edited by MiltyG565
More thoughts :)

Another one from the sphere of Thom Yorke (which almost guarantees a degree of weirdness). This one is cold, with a somewhat tense and menacing feel.

This one is lovely and floaty

Mac rarely fails when it comes to quirkiness.

L'Imperatrice, another great French artist. This song, quirky in it's own way, but the really quirky thing about this is that it's essentially an English-language copy of their own song Erreur 404 which is, of course, en Francais. The lyrics are completely different between the French and English versions, for example, in the French version, the first line of the chorus is "404, screen turns black" which is where the title of the songs comes from, but it doesn't work harmonically and lyrically in the English version, so there's just "it's an error 404" tucked away in one of the verses instead due to the lyrics being rewritten to fit the song. It essentially means these two songs by the same artists are almost completely identical, and yet, very different!

• Like 1

Final contribution from me. More French weirdness.

This one features the name of a former French president as its only lyric. Its meaning, who knows? Seems to have been released around the time he died, so we can only imagine it's in tribute, not in mockery.

This one is about cassoulet, which is French beans and sausages (I would advise against comparing it to Heinz beans and sausages in French company unless you want to invoke an angry and hilarious French meltdown) - The music video is pretty trippy.

Jacques Chirac in a Samba band, for some reason.

Another one about a politician, this time with no lyrics at all!

After a minute or so of weird, spectral sounds, the song begins, although not much less weird.

This from Air, an artist which had some success in the UK. This is part of a movie soundtrack, but weird, nonetheless.

8 hours ago, MiltyG565 said:

This one is about cassoulet, which is French beans and sausages (I would advise against comparing it to Heinz beans and sausages in French company unless you want to invoke an angry and hilarious French meltdown) - The music video is pretty trippy.

That is quite the video, think a few chemicals might have been ingested during the making of that 😂

• Haha 1