Why become a member? ×

5 to 4 on

deepbass5

Going back to a 4 string bass

There have been many posts on this site asking when and how someone should go to a 5 string bass. I have contributed to many of these chats, as I have been solely on 5 strings for nearly 30 years. But come Covid and lock down I decided I wanted another Fender P bass having started on a 77 P.  Tempted by a lovely second hand custom shop 62 relic at a good price, I jumped in. I then realised I had learnt all my function band licks on a 5 and my muscle memory and playing pasterns were firmly embedded on the 5 string bass. So I set about playing through my big band jazz numbers on the four, having installed a set of flats. I should say here we did pack up our function band just before covid so this gap gave me the time to accustom myself without too much pressure.  I am now using my newly acquired 4 strings, yes a second one arrived last year due to Basschat GAS,  and have now joined a rock band where my Swamp Ash Schack with round wounds is having a ball.

Just wondered if anyone else has made the switch back and now prefers the freedom of not having to worry about damping that B string. 

Edited by deepbass5
spelling

I like having both :)

I play in a doom metal band where I absolutely need the extended range of a 5-string, tuned down to A. At home I mostly play 4-string, and often a shortscale at that. A 4-string makes me play differently, I dig in harder and deeper on my 4's than I do on my 5 for some reason and I enjoy it a lot. 

• Like 2

I played all 5s for the first 10 years, then switched back to mostly 4s for 10 years, and now I'm back to all 5s again.

At the point where I switched from 5s to 4s it was likewise caused by a Fender P - I ended up trying it, liking it, and buying it, but the plan was to just play it at home for a bit of fun. However, since my main 5s at the time were a Warwick Vampyre and a BC Rich Warlock, I thought it'd be funny to take the white/white/maple 4 string P to the next gig. Nobody blinked, it felt and sounded great, the sound guy didn't make the usual mess of it in the main mix, and my back didn't hurt at the end of the night. The pointy 5s left, and I was a P-bass guy.

10 years later, lockdowns hit and gigs stopped, and I found myself mostly reaching for my Ibanez SR 5er to the point where the 4s were feeling less 'me' every time I picked one up. By the time we went back to resume rehearsals it felt natural to take a 5, and now the 4s are gone and the 5s are all I use. The circle really is about to be complete, too, as right now there's a DHL van on its way to me bringing a Vampyre 5 like the one I used to have!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Have played 5s and 6s but prefer the feel of 4 in my hands. I've a 4 with appropriate strings tuned down to B standard when I need the low stuff and the rest in E. No manifesto or drama, just went with what I preferred the feel of.

• Like 1

I now try to maintain swapping between the 4 & 5's now having been cornered before, but each are finding their place in different environments, My Schack for rock /pop P bass with flats for jazz but then I'll turn up with the Pbass on a big band rehearsal and they are playing funky numbers or tricky stuff needing an extended range, so don't always get it right. So now if dep-ing I often will take my Marleaux Mbass to cover what ever comes up.  But i am definately enjoying the 4's more and have gas for another 😁

CS 62 relic.JPG

IMG_6515.JPG

links_download_01.jpg

Edited by deepbass5
  • Like 4

Playing 4s, 5s, 6s or whatever else is not mutually exclusive unless you can only afford one instrument or only have space for one. 

If I had the cash to burn,  I'd definitely have a 3 string (E,A,D) custom build.

Just because. 

It'd not stop me playing the others,  though. 

• Like 1

After a lot of backing and filling, I’m going to start using the 4 string jazz in the country band, a fretted and/or fretless 5 for jazz or other more complicated things. If I was to dep in a new band, I’d use a 5 because I think faster in 5. 4s are generally more fun to play though. J and Pedulla have Elixer Nickels, Spector has LaBella low tension flats. 
image.thumb.jpeg.392f0d125b52a66ac96740b4a83002da.jpeg

• Like 2

Does going from 5 to 4 but with BEAD tuning count? 🙂

Normally I use 5 string basses for practice, gigs and recording, too,  but in one of the originals band I play in I switched to this wonderful Spector 35" 4 string PJ.

The reason was partially so I could justify buying it. No, it was just I fancied a change, never used the G string in that gig and the 35" is great for drop A tuning, too.

35" Spector Euro 4 strings are very rare, having one in the classic 80's white is impossible almost (never seen a white apart from mine which was a custom order of Bass Direct )

Whenever I'm traveling around the fretboard I have always seem to use the B string as a reference point (and it makes a great thumb rest, too 🙂 )so it was a perfect switch without problems. It needs to be said however that I haven't made a permament switch to 4 string basses or even it wasn't a switch really at all as I keep using by 5 string basses for other gigs and mainly pratice and record with those still. 

IMG_9784.thumb.JPG.2196030d789c3bf68a6676f9b397b231.JPG

Other than that I got to use a regular 4 string bass last year when I was subbing for an Iron Maiden tribute band. That was a good excuse to use one of my other Spector, a 1977 limited edition which otherwise sadly hasn't seen that much use for the reasons above. 

Mandatory pic:

7511C6D3-0FDC-48AB-938F-C14A3687D57C.thumb.jpeg.7e91e19caa7ab676b114ff67072717bf.jpeg

• Like 4

Historically I had only ever played 4 stringers.  Then I joined a Bon Jovi tribute band and found I needed a 5er, as many of their songs have notes below E as recorded.  After trying a few I discovered what I liked about 5 stringers, put all my 4 stringers in their cases and just played 5ers.  After a while I found I favoured the 5ers and sold all my 4 stringers (apart from a JV Precision I was particularly fond of), including some that were irrreplacable, thinking I wouldn't ever go back. 

Stayed exclusively on 5ers for quite a while, then joined a blues rock trio.  Thought I'd dust off the Precision and that set me off looking for 4 stringers that suited the blues rock band.  Towards the end of the lockdowns I decided to step down from the Bon Jovi band, my need for 5ers had gone so I sold them all and investigated more 4 strings.

Then I got a shorty.  Found it SO much easier to play so have now sold all my long scale basses and have a rolling population of shorties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/02/2024 at 23:35, deepbass5 said:

Just wondered if anyone else has made the switch back and now prefers the freedom of not having to worry about damping that B string. 

Nope, I don't see damping the B as work, and I mainly play 6s.

• Like 1

I've been a 5-string player since 2007, but I do have a couple of 4-strings which I'm hanging on to. I did use them for a little while in a Marillion tribute band (which I never gigged with) but after they dispensed with my services, they went back on the wall. However, about six months ago I started going to an open mic night and playing bass for a few people, and I've been cycling through all my basses, so the Thumb 4-strings have been getting another outing. I enjoy playing them but feel no urge to go back to them.

I play 4s and 5s depending on the situation, and I have had several 6s. I have gotta say... NO-ONE NOTICES. NOT YOUR BAND MATES, NOT THE PUNTERS, NO ONE! Well, maybe the sound person if it's anything other than a P. My wife comes to some of my gigs, and even she doesn't notice which bass I bring. My P is sunburst with flats, my Aria 5 string is Polar White with rounds, and still... nobody notices! Only me.....

Edited by Marty Forrer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marty Forrer said:

I play 4s and 5s depending on the situation, and I have had several 6s. I have gotta say... NO-ONE NOTICES. NOT YOUR BAND MATES, NOT THE PUNTERS, NO ONE! Well, maybe the sound person if it's anything other than a P. My wife comes to some of my gigs, and even she doesn't notice which bass I bring. My P is sunburst with flats, my Aria 5 string is Polar White with rounds, and still... nobody notices! Only me.....

And I am sure no one would notice if you didn't turn on your amp either.

Can't say this match my experience though.

Maybe it is different when you are part of an original band.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

3 hours ago, Marty Forrer said:

NO-ONE NOTICES. [...] Well, maybe the sound person if it's anything other than a P.

Yup, that was my experience when switching back to a P from the pointy 5ers. Sound techs started to just instinctively make it sound like I was playing a bass, instead of trying to give me a clanky, percussive, nu-metal-ish tone that many seemed to feel was how the owner of a pointy, black, 5 string bass would want to sound. Guess I'll be having those conversations again now.

I have been playing a five with the country band, but am taking my Jazz 4 to the next gig. I really wonder if anyone (at all) will notice. I think we switch things around for ourselves. I do know that nobody is more obsessed with tone than a bass player, and nobody else (except the sound guy who will make it sound....uh.....different) cares. I'm still going to do both, though....

20 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Everything is a package: you, your sound, what you play and how you play it.

Some bands don't care but the better bands will notice all these things and will care.

Well said, sir, and very correct! When you do get the rare chance to perform with those types, enjoy it!

I always consider myself a four string player, so that is what I am using for home noodling, but my band requires the low notes and the higher registers of the G string (for chords and solos) so my main bass is a 5. TBH I hardly notice the difference when switching. 

I was exclusively 5 string for a long time - at least 10 years. Playing jazz and with transposing instruments that B string was really useful.

Then I tore a tendon and found a 4 more comfortable during my long recovery and I'm pretty happy with that. Mind you I find my way to the right notes a lot easier when moving downwards rather than up! 

I only have one 5 string now and I play it at home a bit, but generally a 4 string and a good octave pedal and I'm sorted!

If I win the Lottery though, then I'll be making a trip to Bavaria for a chat with Gerald Marleaux to make something special.

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I was exclusively 5 string for a long time - at least 10 years. Playing jazz and with transposing instruments that B string was really useful.

funny that!  for jazz jams and that real book/ iRealpro situation, I would also take a five so I have extra notes available to fumble my way out of awkward situations 😄 mmmm, still more practice required on the 4 i think.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, deepbass5 said:

funny that!  for jazz jams and that real book/ iRealpro situation, I would also take a five so I have extra notes available to fumble my way out of awkward situations 😄 mmmm, still more practice required on the 4 i think.

Very much this for me as well….