Why become a member? ×

Ideas on a 'Swiss Army " backpack for small gig items

My old Gruv Gear backpack is finally on its way out, but at least it did do ten years or so service, so c'est la vie.

I use it to bring all of the little personal things to gigs such as mic, leads, tuner, straps, tablet, picks, harmonica, and so on. The backpack concept works for me as I put it on my back and can carry a fair bit using my arms and shoulders.

So, replacement ideas are welcome. Answers on a postcard below, please 👇

if I need anything like this I always find something appropriate after a trawl through the local charity shops.  Which is a decent enough hobby, anyway. :)  Got some great old lap top bags that sling over my shoulder - usually packed with pockets and compartments.

• Like 3

I use Wenger backpacks for this, they’re waterproof, incredibly hard wearing and have multiple sections to put things in. I am going to be selling one (poss two) soon, let me know if interested (am fully paid up on here for selling items so not dodging anything).

1 hour ago, Killerfridge said:

D'Addario do a gig backpack, but it isn't cheap:

https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/backline-cases/backline-transport-pack/

That looks brilliant, but also ginormous! Looks like they have a smaller version too though: 

Backline Gear Transport Pack Solo | D'Addario Accessories (daddario.com)

• Like 1

I had a Thomann Producer Backpack for a while. but I found I could never remember which pocket everything was in!

Currently, I use a generic sports backpack which has no pockets (apart from one in the front flap where I store a few spare strings) but a large storage area. The aforementioned flap folds right out which means I can open up the bag nice and wide and drop my leads, mics etc into it without any faffing about. I keep my leads, SM58, toolkit and a few other odds and ends in there and it works a treat for me.

Fishing bags and cases are a lower-cost option, too - here's a random one from Amazon.

42 minutes ago, rushbo said:

I had a Thomann Producer Backpack for a while. but I found I could never remember which pocket everything was in!

Currently, I use a generic sports backpack which has no pockets (apart from one in the front flap where I store a few spare strings) but a large storage area. The aforementioned flap folds right out which means I can open up the bag nice and wide and drop my leads, mics etc into it without any faffing about. I keep my leads, SM58, toolkit and a few other odds and ends in there and it works a treat for me.

Fishing bags and cases are a lower-cost option, too - here's a random one from Amazon.

Exc @rushbo, just bought one of those random ones from Amazon. :hi:

I've found fishing tackle bags useful for LED PAR cans and for a little handbag (wireless, short leads, MS-60B, A-B switch, capo, allen keys). Might be worth having a look in the fishing tackle section on Ebay.

Any of the quality outdoor kit manufacturers will have suitable offerings. I'd avoid anything bearing the logo of a musical instrument or accessory supplier. There's bound to be a price mark-up over a regular backpack.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan Dare said:

I'd avoid anything bearing the logo of a musical instrument or accessory supplier.

And theft if ya turn ya back or it needs to be left unattended at any time.

Maybe take a plainer carrier bag, tote bag or sports direct bag, in one of it's pockets to put it in...

19 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Any of the quality outdoor kit manufacturers will have suitable offerings. I'd avoid anything bearing the logo of a musical instrument or accessory supplier. There's bound to be a price mark-up over a regular backpack.

I just ordered an Aguilar bag.

Doh !

IMG_9861.jpeg

• Haha 1

While I favour Gator bags, if you want a well made and sturdy bag for the stuff you're stating, check out Troop London.  Cavernous, loads of pockets, different sizes/colours etc. great for just chucking stuff in.

We've got three in different sizes; used them for gigs and holidays.  Currently in Madeira and there's two up in the hotel room as I type.

10/10

https://www.trooplondon.com/collections/all-bags

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...