Why become a member? ×

The weight of my bass.

nilorius

Hmm...Your opinion. Should i stress on my bass big weight - 6kg. just as it is so heavy or not, but i like the feel, sound and look ?  35'' scale, buck eye burl top back, ebony fingerboard, ash core, maple/redwood neck through, hausell pick up, noll electronics, hipshot hardware, fretless, 5 string. Italian hand made - D'alessandro. Just tell what would You do in that situation. Thanks on any answer!

DA_final.jpg

Edited by nilorius

If it's hurting you it's time to change, after you've done whatever mitigations you can - wide, cushioned strap is the #1 mitigation.  I've owned 12lb+ basses (Gibson RD Artist, Gibson Victory Artist) and the wide neoprene strap (Neotech Mega strap) made them tolerable.

I do enjoy the "grounded" feel of a heavy bass.  I am the centre of my own personal bass black hole.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

If it's hurting you it's time to change, after you've done whatever mitigations you can - wide, cushioned strap is the #1 mitigation.  I've owned 12lb+ basses (Gibson RD Artist, Gibson Victory Artist) and the wide neoprene strap (Neotech Mega strap) made them tolerable.

I do enjoy the "grounded" feel of a heavy bass.  I am the centre of my own personal bass black hole.

My english is so bad, i purely understand half of your quote, but any way - thank You. It's not hurting me, i just think after a gig , a guy of different band once asked to check my bass and said - "man, it's heavy".

I often disagree with you @nilorius but you shouldn’t apologise for your command of English. I have IELTS 9 (top score) in English and I know that English is a really hard language to learn second. It’s in a league with Chinese for complexity with a vocabulary twice as large as most other languages. I know a German lady who has been in England 20 years, is married to a Brit and has English speaking kids and she still makes major mistakes 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I often disagree with you @nilorius but you shouldn’t apologise for your command of English. I have IELTS 9 (top score) in English and I know that English is a really hard language to learn second. It’s in a league with Chinese for complexity with a vocabulary twice as large as most other languages. I know a German lady who has been in England 20 years, is married to a Brit and has English speaking kids and she still makes major mistakes 

Hey Geek99 !!! Thanks for my english assessment. Though, i know korean pretty good. Anyway - it's ok - cheers !

• Like 1

Could be wrong  but I'd say for the player ,when you get to a certain age ,  a " heavy " type of bass can get a bit much .

Imho , in your younger years you could handle most basses with ease  but joints / bones/ tendons deteriorate as we get older.

There are many designs now made with basswood for example , which is a lot lighter imho.

I have a Washburn status headless which looks light and lovely , but if someone else picks it up they'll also say " that's heavy " 

Its made of ash/ walnut . 

The best bass I have in terms of feel , is my Vester Custom fretless which is great . I haven't weighed it , but it's sooo heavy. 
It's a copy of a Warwick which I have . The Warwick is the lightest bass I own ..or is it the Jack Daniels bass? 🤔

I agree , and say if it's not a problem playing it then keep it . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Are YOU having a problem with the weight? If not then don't worry about what others think

This.

I know there's no way I could gig a 13lb bass, but it's not my bass, it's yours -- if you're happy to live with the weight because you love the sound, that's all that matters.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Slightly of the topic, but English is not a hard language to learn. I picked it up quick in my twenties and most kids in Europe speak English. My native language uses Masculine–feminine–neuter contrast so do some other European speakers. This changes the suffix of the adjectives etc. the verb changes depending on the contrast etc. I speak three European languages, two of them are very similar but the third one is on a completely different, Hungarian. So if you think English is hard, try learning Hungarian. I speak and read 4 languages. Write 2 and can get by writing another 2. I used to be fluent in russian , reading and writing about 30 years ago as it was compulsory to learn. I understand some other languages, very basics but I'm confident to say that English is the easiest out of all. What I do find complex about English is the amount of tense used simple  tense, future in the past and some grammar. I have tried to explain this to native English speakers, but they don't understand and I have seen them often making mistakes. The most common even here is There , theirs, would have/ would of ( my biggest pet hate). I'm sure you will find grammar mistakes in my post(s) and probably notice my post is written/structured in a way that to you may sound coming form a foreign national, but my excuse is that this is my 4th language. 

To this day, some English people ask me how to spell certain words. I thought I share my thoughts. 

I won't proofread what I typed as it's my day off today and cannot be bothered. 😁

There is an odd thing about weight - my ibanez sr5005 I find very heavy so dont play very often. Likewise my spector is a bit heavier than I would like.

However, recently for the second half of gigs I have been playing my acrylic jazz style bass which makes both of them seem like toys, yet, apart from the initial pickup I don't really have a problem with its weight. Not sure if it is the balance of some other element of how it sits, but it doesn't get to me the way the others do and I can play it quite comfortably (although it would be more comfortable if I filed the nut down a bit).

I don't know why this is.

And to the OP - it doesn't matter how heavy your bass is to someone else if you don't have a problem with it.

• Like 1

I would not dream of criticising, actually, and I agree with you about “there”, “their” etc @SH73

I cite this as evidence https://mangolanguages.com/resources-articles/9-reasons-why-english-is-a-difficult-language-to-learn/#:~:text=Most English language learners will,require a lot of memorization.     Amongst a million other results 

however I think the only reason that people think English is easy is because seemingly everyone on the globe is exposed to it from infancy and it’s everywhere. Immersion is powerful. 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I would not dream of criticising, actually, and I agree with you about “there”, “their” etc @SH73

I cite this as evidence https://mangolanguages.com/resources-articles/9-reasons-why-english-is-a-difficult-language-to-learn/#:~:text=Most English language learners will,require a lot of memorization.     Amongst a million other results 

however I think the only reason that people think English is easy is because seemingly everyone on the globe is exposed to it from infancy and it’s everywhere. Immersion is powerful. 

I didn't think you meant to criticise anyone I just disagreed that English is difficult and I still disagree no matter what the article says. In fact, I have learnt Spanish during a business course many years ago. All English natives struggled with the pronunciation and learning the lingo. My theory is that if you grow up as bilingual, then other languages come as second nature.

Now, if the OP likes the feel of the base, he should of not need to worry about it's weigh.

Piece!

😁

Edited by SH73
  • Like 1

Where did this "would of" thing come from?  It's "would have", or "would've" if you're desperate to shave off two characters from what you're typing.  Is school crap now?  When did the word "neck" begin with a k?  Why can't people be bothered to spell "Squier" correctly?  It's right there in front of you on the bloody headstock!  I see break/brake regularly swapped, along with heel/heal.  Yes, they sound the same.  Sounds mean nothing when you're typing/writing...

OK, I'm done.  Or am I?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Where did this "would of" thing come from?  It's "would have", or "would've" if you're desperate to shave off two characters from what you're typing.  Is school crap now?  When did the word "neck" begin with a k?  Why can't people be bothered to spell "Squier" correctly?  It's right there in front of you on the bloody headstock!  I see break/brake regularly swapped, along with heel/heal.  Yes, they sound the same.  Sounds mean nothing when you're typing/writing...

OK, I'm done.  Or am I?

I get the feeling many basschatters are old blokes typing on a PC with a big screen and keyboard. The yoof use mobile devices and their thumbs and don’t do ponderous one fingered typing. Throw in auto correct and the output isn’t always pretty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

I get the feeling many basschatters are old blokes typing on a PC with a big screen and keyboard. The yoof use mobile devices and their thumbs and don’t do ponderous one fingered typing. Throw in auto correct and the output isn’t always pretty.

What do you mean “you get the feeling…” I never imagined it wasn’t exactly that. Curmudgeonly is the word that springs to my mind as a synonym for “basschat member”. 

• Haha 1