Why become a member? ×

Medium scale fender type basses

Geek99

I have arthritis coming in my left hand and can no longer cope with full scale

I’m being encouraged by my lovely partner to buy something for myself with some incoming money that adds up to inheritance but long delayed 

I’ve fought long and hard to push my idiot, pathetic and pathologically risk averse cousin to sell something that we co-own and today her hand was finally forced from indulging in endless procrastination and long-grass kicking 

can anyone advise me about 32” scale basses-are they just Japanese made ? 

I believe some Japanese Fenders are medium-scale, but they seem to only crop up occasionally.

There was one on basschat classifieds a couple of weeks ago - link below. 

Alternatively, if you are happy to go down to 30" short scale, the JMJ Mustang gets my vote. It sounds great, is easy to play, and is mass produced so easy to get. I held off for years, and finally got one a few months ago and see what all the fuss was about. Great bass, particularly when strung with the La Bella Mustang strings. I would recommend shielding it after purchase. 

Good luck,

Phil

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, pn_day said:

I believe some Japanese Fenders are medium-scale, but they seem to only crop up occasionally.

There was one on basschat classifieds a couple of weeks ago - link below. 

Alternatively, if you are happy to go down to 30" short scale, the JMJ Mustang gets my vote. It sounds great, is easy to play, and is mass produced so easy to get. I held off for years, and finally got one a few months ago and see what all the fuss was about. Great bass, particularly when strung with the La Bella Mustang strings. I would recommend shielding it after purchase. 

Good luck,

Phil

Agree Phil, JMJs are great

There is also the current Squier CV Jaguar Bass, with a PJ config and 32" scale. Not your typical Fendery woods, with a nato body and a laurel fingerboard with blocks sans bindings, but then the same goes for the 1980's Fender/Squier Japan medium scale Precision (which has a basswood body). Those were available briefly with E-series serial numbers, so between 1984 and 1987, and they pop up for sale regularly. 

No advice on the Fender shaped medium scale, but just a note of support.

I was in a similar situation with a supportive partner and a small inheritance... I got a Warwick star bass and (once I got used to how it sits on the strap) it's been amazing. 

The 32" scale works better than 30, it just fits my hand perfectly. 

• Thanks 1

She is urging me to buy something nice as the land to be sold is in a place where bad things happened. Replacement therapy… It’s taken two plus years to convince idiot co-trustee to sell and I’ve been running the trust for 11 years prior to that. That means I’ve been immersed in it daily, and once sold I never need to go back there or even think about it 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Geek99 said:

She is urging me to buy something nice as the land to be sold is in a place where bad things happened. Replacement therapy… It’s taken two plus years to convince idiot co-trustee to sell and I’ve been running the trust for 11 years prior to that. That means I’ve been immersed in it daily, and once sold I never need to go back there or even think about it 

The definitely get something that's going to bring you joy!

That sounds draining and you deserve a treat. 

• Thanks 1

The Fender Stu Hamm Urge Mk1s were a 32 inch scale, available as us version or a simplified Mexican version. Lovely basses. They also had small bodies, about the size of a strat body, which you might or might not like.

The MK2s went to a 34" scale.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

The Fender Stu Hamm Urge Mk1s were a 32 inch scale, available as us version or a simplified Mexican version. Lovely basses. They also had small bodies, about the size of a strat body, which you might or might not like.

The MK2s went to a 34" scale.

Didn’t they have about 8 pickups ? 

Not exactly fender style but any ACG 32" would be tremendous. The one i had was by quite a distance the best made, best sounding, and easiest to play bass I've ever owned. If i ever get to a stage where my fingers need a shorter scale bass I will almost certainly go back to an ACG

I've also got a Bacchus WL433 which is a 33" scale - that's lovely to play and still 'looks' full size.  I could let that go actually, if you're in the market although my mate has borrowed it for about 2 years so I've no idea what state its in these days

If you don’t mind going back in time and can find one, the Aria Proll TSB 650 is a great medium scale bass. Huge sound from two humbuckers with individual stacked volume and tone plus series/parallel switching. Bit on the heavy side, mine is 4.5kgs. but well balanced. Easy to play. 

• Thanks 1