Why become a member? ×

Annie Nightingale dead

diskwave

Extraordinary person and life, all too easy to overlook that at a time of serious sexism and elitism she was always seen by audiences and colleagues alike as the real deal and never a token, and that was still the case 50 years later among audiences and colleagues of very different generations and cultures. RIP Annie ❤️

• Like 5

Loved listening to her request show in the 80s, came after the Top 40 and was always miles better (both the music and the chat). Introduced me to loads of new tunes and genres. Thanks and RIP Annie x

• Like 3

Her death has really got me thinking. I'm 63, started off a punk ended up in a pit and all the clubs and dives inbetween.. done a lot, loved it all. To me she was more than Peely, maybe because she was a woman...I dunno...In a way the female equivalent of Bowie tho not a musician, just one of those people who maybe influenced more people in the pop scene than it's realised. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Loved her on OGWT and it’s hard choice between her and whispering Bob for my favourite presenter of that show.

C0FD097D-E5AA-45BF-9896-D3C3FE213291.jpeg

+1

RIP Ms Nightingale, I'll miss you.   xxx

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Angel said:

On a side note, I dislike the use of the word 'dead' in thread titles like this. It lacks empathy for me. 

Whereas I welcome it.  When someone dies they are dead.  They have died.  This recent trend to say 'passed' is, imo, just a pointless euphemism that is simply ducking what is perceived to be an uncomfortable issue.  Yet it will happen to every single one of us.  Seems daft to me.

• Like 10

Well, she certainly had her fan base, but I never latched on to her; I found her a bit disparaging of the music I liked and a somewhat offputting on the OGWT.

(I guess "passed" is a shortening of "passed away", which has been a term used for many years.)

30 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Whereas I welcome it.  When someone dies they are dead.  They have died.  This recent trend to say 'passed' is, imo, just a pointless euphemism that is simply ducking what is perceived to be an uncomfortable issue.  Yet it will happen to every single one of us.  Seems daft to me.

I absolutely agree, which is why I want a gravestone just like Patrick Caulfield...

patrick-caulfield-grave.jpeg.23513415d27b8facbce535d4f4dc0ae7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Angel said:

On a side note, I dislike the use of the word 'dead' in thread titles like this. It lacks empathy for me. 

One email list I'm on just puts a name in the email subject, nothing else, to signify that they've snuffed it. This has led to me having the occasional double take in BC when some bassist's name is the subject of a topic.

Still, I wouldn't worry too much about lacking empathy, as Annie Nightingale probably isn't reading BC.

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

One email list I'm on just puts a name in the email subject, nothing else, to signify that they've snuffed it. This has led to me having the occasional double take in BC when some bassist's name is the subject of a topic.

Still, I wouldn't worry too much about lacking empathy, as Annie Nightingale probably isn't reading BC.

Maybe it's meant as lacking empathy for those who may be shocked to hear the news? 🤔

7 hours ago, Paul S said:

I find it irritating when the word “passed” is used to describe a person who has died, it’s another euphemism that’s made its way over from the USA. ☹️

10 hours ago, Angel said:

I dislike the use of the word 'dead' in thread titles like this. It lacks empathy for me. 

She died. My dad died last year and dear ole mum died four years ago. They are all dead. So you gonna say all those people who died in war or by any other means "passed away". Nope, they died...they're dead.  We live in a soppy silly world where people have lost all sense of reality, people die, they do not "pass away". 

• Like 1

Years ago, a friend of mine sent me a text message to let me know of the sad news of his father's death. He tried using 'passed away' but, unfortunately, typed 'Dad pasted away this evening', which made it sound like he'd done a bit of wallpapering before shuffling off this mortal coil.

• Haha 2