Why become a member? ×

Rings on your fretting hand

A friend of mine has a tattoo ring as he works with his hands and big bits of wood and other materials and big tools at height, he nearly lost the finger once when the original wedding ring got caught on something so it was the safest option, he doesn't wear a watch or any other jewellery for the same H&S reasons

• Like 2

Must admit I found it difficult, just because I’ve never been a ring wearer previously I think.

Anyhow, after a number of resizes over a few years due to weight loss, I ditched the wedding ring for a tattoo on my finger instead. That definitely doesn’t get in the way.

• Like 1

I found the ring got scratched so I moved it to my right hand, where it has remained happily ever since. Think I read somewhere that wedding rings for men are a fairly recent innovation so you could find bass-playing a just-plausible excuse to save a few bob.

Edited by nige1968
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wedding ring has never bothered me too much, but for various reasons I got a silicone one for every day use not long ago, and it's really good! No hard edges, doesn't snag on things etc. Highly recommended

• Like 1

I've not worn mine since I developed trigger finger and it completely seized with the finger pointing towards the palm.

I've tried it on a couple of times since, but I can feel it would be a bad idea leaving it on for any length of time, so it sits in Mrs.H's jewellery box.

I always did find it much easier playing without it on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steantval said:

IMG_1940.jpeg

As promised. This man has approx six hours experience of ring wearing (and despite the look on my face, there's a few more years bass-playing experience)

So even with full cross-neck extension to the E string there's no danger of the ring getting in the way of the G string, never mind what my wife said later that night. Maybe if you're playing a 7-string or something daft.

image.png.b16fb7033aa4517dec1658f79a073198.png

Edited by toneknob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

A friend of mine has a tattoo ring as he works with his hands and big bits of wood and other materials and big tools at height, he nearly lost the finger once when the original wedding ring got caught on something so it was the safest option, he doesn't wear a watch or any other jewellery for the same H&S reasons

In a similar vein when I was a teenager I had a dog chain fixed around my wrist, when I got a job as an engineer the manager said at the interview it would have to come off as I could potentially lose my hand on the machines I would be working on. I’m glad to say that my punky teenage self thought far more of keeping my hands than of fashion sense. 

• Like 2

I had a wide flat wedding ring and have somewhat ‘webby’ fingers so it was always a bit uncomfortable to wear. After about 6 or 7 years I started to react to the nickel in it so stopped wearing it. It never caused a particular issue with my guitar playing though. Also we’ve now been married for over 41 years!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I'm left handed so it doesn't affect me, but the right handed guitarists in my band both remove theirs to play because it causes them issues. 

Yes - it makes them appear married, and thus, unavailable to the groupies.....

I used to take my ring off to play, but not now.  The difference seems to be better technique (and the fact that I had the ring enlarged to fit my finger, which had grown 3 sizes fatter over the years).

I am reminded that I once caught a cheap and rough ring on a push-plate on a fire door.  I carried on walking, the ring carried on being stuck on the plate, and I only stopped when I couldn't move forwards any more.   I then spotted that the top layer of skin on my finger had peeled off. I pushed the skin back onto my finger, and once it was stuck,  I removed the ring and binned it.  

• Like 1

Always take mine off unless I'm just noodling about at home because it clatters up the G-string. I'm not even going to apologise for saying that.

It sits with my car keys at rehearsal, and either with my wife or in my ear plug case which lives in a gig bag pocket at shows.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bass_dinger said:
16 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

because it causes them issues. 

Yes - it makes them appear married, and thus, unavailable to the groupies.....

Yeah I was not alluding to that! They're respectable, decent men. 

• Like 1

I had the same concern when I got married a few years ago as I had never worn rings before.

I have no sharp edges on mine, so it tapers nicely into my finger and minimises snagging. I guess like others have said, it depends on technique and how you play. Mine doesn’t get in the way but I have a bit more of a classical guitar technique, thumb in the middle of the neck and some arch to my fingers so it almost never touches the neck and it’s quite narrow so doesn’t hinder my finger movement.

maybe stick it on a chain or leather chord around your neck when your playing if it does cause you issues.

• Like 1

Yeah putting it on a chain is a good idea. I have a chain I keep a ring on but don't often wear it. It's actually the outside of an old pound coin that was drilled out and gold plated by a mate. ha! 

I asked my dad why he never wore one. He's a welder / fitter. Was worried about getting it snagged in machinery. I work with untidy bays full of TV broadcast critical cables... so snagging things is a bit of a worry sometimes but again... I can take it off (like I take my watch off in the same situations). 

• Like 1