Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland Hootananny!

theplumber

6 minutes ago, NoRhino said:

I watched BBC Scotland's Hogmanay show then turned over to Jools when it had already started.  I enjoyed Sugababes and thee young girl who sang Candyman.  

She was a great guitarist 

• Like 1

Sorry to wander slightly off topic but for me Celebrity Come Dancing is in the same category. Wife likes the dancing but for me it’s the band and vocalists. I’m quite happy to just listen to the music. Couldn’t give a toss about the so called celebs. 
Rick Astley and band was a lot better than I anticipated last night and he was quite impressive on the drums. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I wish Rod Stewart would stop doing old swing stuff

Agreed, just because you can sing a bit does not mean that all genres are fair game, he’s awful at it.

I popped in and out, hoping to catch Joss Stone, which I failed at.

Always glad to hear Dave Swift, but Jools’ left hand was often in the way and telling the bloke who pays your wages to move or lose it, isn’t the smartest move.

I’d like to see another act ‘host’ it once in a while, as that might put a different spin on it.

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Isn't Hootenanny  recorded in the summertime? If so there's not gonna be as my kind of real festive vibe. I was out on the lash so didn't watch any NY slebrations on TV 

November I think Dave said

25 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I was in Spoons from about 12:15 and caught the end of Rick Astley.

I'm relieved to see others agree it was a great performance!

Brave to do You Shook Me after the SeaLion's version...

I thought You Spin Me Right Round with Rylan as guest singer was also far better than it had any right to be

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, neepheid said:

50 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

A mate used to go out with the sax player called Lisa in JHRBO…

Its filmed in advance, and one year was filmed in August 😂

45 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I think they basically film it at a time when they can get all the guests in one place at the same time. I think October November time is the norm these days.

This year’s programme was recorded in mid December. I’m watching it now

on iPlayer and enjoying what I’ve seen so far. 

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

The whole festive Telly Specials thing requires a suspension of belief. Which takes away a bit of the seasonal magic. I’m also miffed there was no showing of White Christmas this year. Just as well I have a local copy. 

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

I thought You Spin Me Right Round with Rylan as guest singer was also far better than it had any right to be

Was very surprised at that - I wondered why he was coming on, I don't remember him ever singing before

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Was very surprised at that - I wondered why he was coming on, I don't remember him ever singing before

He was good tho! The voice, the moves, the spangly see through vest, the lot. Good on him! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

AFAIK Rylan first appeared on TV as a contestant singing on X Factor. 

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

He made the judge’s houses on X Factor yonks ago. 

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

That was his “talent” on X Factor, which he didn’t win. Apparently before that he was in some tribute bands in Ibiza. He is one of those irritating people who did absolutely anything to become famous. And succeeded. 

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

December 13th this year. It's probably being recorded closer and closer to NYE as the risk of one of the coffin-dodging guests popping off between recording and broadcast steadily increases.

Rod Stewart - hated him doing swing. Maybe he can't rock it up any more.

Joss Stone - irritating voice.

Olivia Dean and Raye - sang well. Not my cup of tea musically but I can cope for one night.

The Mary Wallopers - bit of a Pogues tribute but fun.

PP Arnold, Ruby Turner, and Paul Jones - still able to sing.

Muireann Bradley - good.

Sugababes - forgettable crap pop.

I put the sound through the hi-fi which does bass pretty well, and there wasn't much there. Could just about make out the Mary Wallopers bassist as she played a couple of well-fitting bass lines, occasional bits of Dave Swift, and the Sugababes' bassist (although that might have been him in unison with a keyboard).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Sugababes - forgettable crap pop.

What you mean you didn’t notice the slap bass on their 2nd song - I thought that one was great - oo hang on I forgot - slap bass is as verboten as Rick**bo**er on Basschat 🤣🤣😀

To pick up on another of your points, I thought Dave Swift’s bass sound was great all night (and the drummer wasn’t irritatingly high in the mix as is usual in post 1995 live performances) - however Dave appears to have succumbed to BGRS (bass guitarist regression syndrome) - in his case he’s got back to upright bass (not P with flats or Rivoli or EB2 with flats - even further) he played upright ALL night - and it sounded great. 

I do wonder when some bassists with BGRS will revert back to 14th century bass instruments - or further - I guess it’ll come at some point…….. 🥴😀😀

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Yep. Plus knowing several million people got rickrolled in the opening hour of 2024 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Rod Stewart - hated him doing swing. Maybe he can't rock it up any more.

I would have avoided that anyway - I saw Rod Stewart on Graham Norton a few months back and it was embarassingly bad, I mean, i was never a fan of Rod - I never thought he was a good singer, but that was something very bad by his standards.

I was talking about the Hootenanny with family this evening and my FiL doesn’t do modern, so I looked up how long the Hootenanny has been going, 30 years last night - hardly modern.