Why become a member? ×

Songs you'd love to cover but can't

SteveXFR

I'd like to do "Won't get fooled again" (just the cut-down radio version). Doesn't quite qualify as it would fit the band but it's an uphill struggle trying to persuade them.

The one I'd like to do that wouldn't fit the band is "Maria" by Blondie. Used to do it with Mrs Zero on lead vocals but the current band has a male lead vocalist and I don't think it would work.

On 10/12/2023 at 07:37, uk_lefty said:

Crazy world of Arthur Brown, Fire.

We play very little from before 2000 so this sixties classic isn't even worth mentioning, sadly. But it's one of those songs I heard as a kid on my dad's cassettes in the car that really made an impression.

Saw Arthur perform it twice in the last two months. He's still awesome.

20231117_213913.thumb.jpg.26ba84320702d91e7663a6a773569eaf.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vantagepointrocks said:

But unlike Huey I don't think we'd be able to convince the Tower of Power Horns to come along and back the band.

The sheer mention of Tower Of Power has me yearning to do "Only So Much Oil In the Ground". We are a 10 piece band with a horn section, but the band wouldn't go for it. Not sure I could keep up with Rocco's 16th note baseline either.

On 09/12/2023 at 20:20, SteveXFR said:

Whats the one song would you really like to cover but just know it won't fit your band?

My band has a no cover policy but I'd love to play this

Therapy? are a great band and deserved to be bigger than they are. I won tickets to see them at Blondies dive bar in London a few years ago, the place was tiny and I was about six foot away from the band, stood in my suit as Id had to go straight from work! It was great being so close, but also unnerving having Andy Cairns looking me straight in the eye from a short distance. 

They only did a couple of songs, as it was a new album promo thing for Kerrang magazine, and they were en route to Europe, they had a transit van parked outside and were loading up all the gear afterwards.

I had also seen them at an Ozzfest (I think!) 20 odd years ago, and in London more recently.

I wanted to cover Screamager in my band, but the rest of them didn't fancy it, as they didn't think it was well know enough

I also got to see them

27 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Not something I’d normally play but I challenged myself to learn it and it’s a really tough one to play up to speed 

I'm doing a dep in January.  It's on the list but agreed I'm not going to do it.

Much as I'd like to, it would take as much effort as learning all the other unfamiliar songs on their list. Not worth it for a single gig.

• Like 1