Why become a member? ×

Final reduction for Easter £10,500 - 1961 Fender Precision - *SOLD*
£15000
Hertfordshire

Sparky Mark

SOLD- Price reduction to £10,500. 

The time has finally come after 10 years for me to offer up this beautiful example for sale. 

Description: 1961 Fender® Precision Bass®, featuring slab Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard, and Sunburst finish. The bass is all original. Although the body finish has the normal chips and dings, the neck is in excellent shape. Both body and neck feature their original finish, and the lacquer on the neck is in excellent condition. The bass was mainly played prior to my ownership with flat wounds so the frets are in great condition. The Brazilian rosewood fingerboard is a deep, rich, dark colour, almost Ebony-like. The neck is straight and the bass plays wonderfully. This neck is the typical "C" shape of the period, with the thickness measuring .781" at the first fret and .972" at the 12th fret. The sound is killer from this great example from one of the best eras of the legendary Pre-CBS Fender® Bass. At one point the owner of the bass (this was a one owner instrument), had the pots changed and these slightly larger pots required slightly enlarging the cavity. The original pots, both dated 304 6107, are now back in place. No other modifications, alterations, or other issues exist with this bass. The neck date is 4/61 and the serial number is 639XX. The bass weighs a very light 8 lb. 3 oz., making this attractive example easy on the old back on those long nights. The pickup set is strong and healthy, measuring a perfect 11.6K for the pair. The bass comes in its original brown tolex case. The case is in good condition for its age, but does show signs of wear. The leather on one side of one end is missing. All latches work correctly and pop when opened. Interior is clean without any odours. Thumb rest, bridge and pickup covers included.

I priced this with reference to a well known dealer's prices for Precisions dated either side of 1961 but happy to negotiate via direct message/phone with reputable Basschatters in possession of good forum feedback. Many thanks for looking.

Edited by Sparky Mark
Sold
  • Like 47

Apparently some bloke called James Jamerson played a 1961 Precision from 1962 to 1968 and it was beaten up something rotten but still sold for $68,750 in 2017. This is obviously a massive bargain as I've played it! B|

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

That is an absolutely wonderful bass Sir. It's my YOB too (March 1961),  plus Im a huge James Jamerson fan. What I'd give to own this! but unfortunately it's way out of my current means. I do own a 1969 though. The best of luck with your sale. 

Edited by clarkpegasus4001
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, clarkpegasus4001 said:

That is an absolutely wonderful bass Sir. It's my YOB too (March 1961),  plus Im a huge James Jamerson fan. What I'd give to own this! but unfortunately it's way out of my current means. I do own a 1969 though. The best of luck with your sale. 

6 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Yup my YOB dream bass too! 

Special Christmas discount available to Basschatters born in 1961. :santa:

• Like 5

I'm not really a Precision player but this is just wonderful!  Worth the money for that tort plate and the gorgeous rosewood alone.  The body shaping from this era is a thing of wonder too.  What a very beautiful and useable bass

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Sparky Mark changed the title to 10% price reduction - 1961 Fender Precision
  • Sparky Mark changed the title to £1,500 price reduction - 1961 Fender Precision
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Sparky Mark changed the title to £2,500 price reduction - 1961 Fender Precision
On 01/12/2023 at 14:32, Sparky Mark said:

Special Christmas discount available to Basschatters born in 1961. :santa:

Ahh no good to me then, I was born in 1946... Man I was 14 then when that beautiful bass was made. GLWTS.

• Like 3

• Sparky Mark changed the title to Final reduction for Easter £10,500 - 1961 Fender Precision
  • Sparky Mark changed the title to SOLD - Final reduction for Easter £10,500 - 1961 Fender Precision