Why become a member? ×

Searching for a head ...

SamIAm

My bass playing has to date been mostly using battery powered combos.  My first was a Roland Micro Cube Bass RX and I loved it, but not a lightweight!  I replaced it with a Boss Dual Cube Bass LX which suited my needs ... battery powered, under 6kg and appropriate volume for my playing.

At the recent most excellent SE Bass Bash I realised I wanted ... more!  Hearing the thunderous tones from the various setups that other BCers brought along kicked off a quest and my need for a mainless system has passed.

I've a cab (PJB C4) that can handle 400W and I now need an amp head to match.

I'd love to hear your suggestions for a head, I'm looking for one that:

• Is lightweight (<2Kg).
  • Can drive 250-400W into 8 Ohms.
  • Able to cope with low B (5 strings are my delight).
  • Does not have a noisy fan.
  • Has an FX send/return.
  • Affordable!  For me this is roughly £400 or less ... used from a BC member would work.

The last item is because I use a multi F/X unit and would like to be able to send its signal (Replete with all the various fx including amp emulator) into the power amp section of the head.

Thanks in advance :) 

S'manth x

Edited by Smanth

You could see if he'd post this one: https://reverb.com/uk/item/76002235-tecamp-puma-350w-bass-amp-head-2000-s

Or there's  https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/warwick-gnome-i-pro-600/

Any bass amp should cope with a 5-string, it's the speaker that's the limiting factor. And you could use a more powerful amp, I use my Tecamp Puma 900 with the BC house jam micro cab (100W).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I'll check it out :)

Ooooo ... defo a contender!

Any bass amp should cope with a 5-string, it's the speaker that's the limiting factor. And you could use a more powerful amp, I use my Tecamp Puma 900 with the BC house jam micro cab (100W).

After reading some posts by those who know more than I do, some heads (especially wee ones like gnome/elf /bam... tho these don't have fx circuit) seem to have a lower response from low notes ... the C4 I'm hoping to pair with claims 30H/z low .

S'manth x

Edited by Smanth

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

You are a swimwear model in your spare time. That's a claim too.

Hey kiwi dude (Having emigrated to NZ in the 90s I own this)

I ain't no model ... tho I do try modelling in my FX rig!

S'manth x

The cheapest high-power head available at the moment is the Bugera Veyron. Despite its modest price, it's every bit as good IMO as the more expensive offerings from Markbass, Aguilar, Ashdown, etc., all of which I've owned at one time. It's the head I was using most of the time at the SE Bash Bash, if you recall (because you were right next to me). The only amp that's impressed me more on first listening is the new £1000+ Trace Elliot. However, the Veyron is available for under £300 new with a warranty or under £200 secondhand. It weighs 3kg - so slighly heavier than some, but still very lightweight.

Edited by stevie
  • Like 2

I was more than happy with my MB EVO1 dual channel head, but I found myself in need of a small, lightweight amp head too. On searching YouTube reviews, I decided to take a punt on a Peavey MiniMax 600 head.

When I got it and plugged it in, I was blown away by the range of tones from it. The "punch", Mid shift" and "bright" boost buttons are all really useful in shaping tone and boosting some frequencies, and the "Kosmos" switch really adds lots of "oomph". It's a really warm sound, and it's an amazingly powerful head for something so tiny.

There is a bit of fan noise - but not too much IMHO. Of course, you'll have to be confident that your speakers will be able to handle the output. It's 600W RMS at 4 ohms, and I'm not sure what it is at 8 ohms (but maybe around 350W).

Shame you're not a bit closer - you'd be welcome to pop over for a cuppa, and to try it out, with a range of speakers (plus of course, your own). If anyone nearer you has one - I'd say ask them nicely if you could try it, and take some nice biscuits :)  Also, this head is well within your price range, brand new. EDIT at £327 for a brand new 600w head - I think it's a steal.

I now use this head all the time, and when I need 2 separate channels, I use my Stanley Clarke Acoustic preamp to give me 2 separate EQ's. Good luck with your search

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/bass-guitar-amp-head/peavey-minimax-600-bass-amp-head?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=18337210968&utm_term=&adgroup=141287010396&creative=621842242755&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA35urBhDCARIsAOU7QwkyfovbbKmr11my6pGseebGQki35l7pvHgOI4S6qWVosUoqnsFIOG0aAjXsEALw_wcB

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

Another option might be the Markbass F1/F500, just over your weight limit at 2.1kg but they are clean sounding and pretty cheap secondhand, I've never noticed the fan on my F1 (might plug it in when i get home and see if i can get a Db reading) should be a good base for running effects and preamps into.

there is also the markbass Nano amps which are even smaller and lighter but might not be so plentiful on the used market.

Matt

• Like 1

Any of the above recommended 350-400w into 8 ohm heads should do you fine. Your budget probably rules out some brands, such as Aguilar, Darkglass, etc, but there are quite a few others that should be within reach if you buy used. Fwiw, the best sound I've heard with a C4 was with one of the GK mini heads.  A head under 2kg with the power output you want in your price range could be a big ask, but even 4kg is less than 10 lb, which is not exactly a back breaker.

A quick suggestion about your cab choice. A single C4 isn't going to do "thunderous" (I'm a C4 and 4B owner/user, so I'm not anti-PJB - far from it), regardless of the head you use with it. The smaller PJB cabs need to be used in multiples - I use at least two and quite often three - to give any degree of heft or weight. I love their clarity, but they are quite inefficient, which means they soak up amp power. They are remarkable for their size, but physics, Jim.

I found by accident - mixing and matching my cabs - that a C4 plus a decent 1x12 makes a great compact but pokey rig. The C4 for clarity, plus the 12 for some weight. Any chance you might be able to add £100 or so to the budget? That should get you a used head plus a reasonable 1x12. If you can find another used C4, that would be nice, too, but they are likely to be a bit dearer.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2023 at 17:15, Dan Dare said:

Any of the above recommended 350-400w into 8 ohm heads should do you fine. Your budget probably rules out some brands, such as Aguilar, Darkglass, etc, but there are quite a few others that should be within reach if you buy used. Fwiw, the best sound I've heard with a C4 was with one of the GK mini heads.  A head under 2kg with the power output you want in your price range could be a big ask, but even 4kg is less than 10 lb, which is not exactly a back breaker.

A quick suggestion about your cab choice. A single C4 isn't going to do "thunderous" (I'm a C4 and 4B owner/user, so I'm not anti-PJB - far from it), regardless of the head you use with it. The smaller PJB cabs need to be used in multiples - I use at least two and quite often three - to give any degree of heft or weight. I love their clarity, but they are quite inefficient, which means they soak up amp power. They are remarkable for their size, but physics, Jim.

I found by accident - mixing and matching my cabs - that a C4 plus a decent 1x12 makes a great compact but pokey rig. The C4 for clarity, plus the 12 for some weight. Any chance you might be able to add £100 or so to the budget? That should get you a used head plus a reasonable 1x12. If you can find another used C4, that would be nice, too, but they are likely to be a bit dearer.

I'm currently using a TC BH250 to drive the C4 and it is suitable powerful for the gigs I'm doing (No drummer!), if the TC only had FX loop I'd most likely stick with it.

S'manth x

Some really interesting options listed, thanks all!  I've also poured over what's listed on BC at present...

Reports of scratchy master volumes or intrusive fan noise (My home practice is in a small space at low volumes) on some might really bug me.  There are a couple of corkers that are tantilizingly just above my budget, but I then got to thinking ... if I'm going to go for f/x amp modelling into the f/x return, why pay for all the preamp goodies ... so I've been investigating just a power amp, like a GR PureAmp 350 or GSS Baby Sumo, any here using these? What are your thoughts about them?

I'm quite tempted by the HB Block 800B which seems to have all the options I would like, is affordable, reviews seem favourable and it would come with 3 year warranty ...  if I didn't like it (Or suffered the high floor noise I saw one user have) then I could return it.

The other one that shouts to me is the PJB BP-800, I've watched some great reviews and it would be nicely matched with the C4 (and who knows if a twin might one day join the fold) ... but the lowest new price I've seen is £660, which is out of my reach :(, I've posted in the wanted section as you never know ...

S'manth x

Edited by Smanth

46 minutes ago, Smanth said:

Some really interesting options listed, thanks all!  I've also poured over what's listed on BC at present...

Reports of scratchy master volumes or intrusive fan noise (My home practice is in a small space at low volumes) on some might really bug me.  There are a couple of corkers that are tantilizingly just above my budget, but I then got to thinking ... if I'm going to go for f/x amp modelling into the f/x return, why pay for all the preamp goodies ... so I've been investigating just a power amp, like a GR PureAmp 350 or GSS Baby Sumo, any here using these? What are your thoughts about them?

I'm quite tempted by the HB Block 800B which seems to have all the options I would like, is affordable, reviews seem favourable and it would come with 3 year warranty ...  if I didn't like it (Or suffered the high floor noise I saw one user have) then I could return it.

The other one that shouts to me is the PJB BP-800, I've watched some great reviews and it would be nicely matched with the C4 (and who knows if a twin might one day join the fold) ... but the lowest new price I've seen is £660, which is out of my reach :(, I've posted in the wanted section as you never know ...

S'manth x

Hi S'manth - see if you can find the contact details for this guy. As I recall, he spent most of his life searching for a new head. 🤭

IMG_2537.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Smanth said:

I'm currently using a TC BH250 to drive the C4 and it is suitable powerful for the gigs I'm doing (No drummer!)

1 hour ago, Smanth said:

I then got to thinking ... if I'm going to go for f/x amp modelling into the f/x return, why pay for all the preamp goodies ...

Exploring this line of thought, have you considered an active PA speaker, which are as flat-response as can be?  If you sell the C4 (which for comparison is 13.1kg) I think your budget will be ~£600.  There are many makes and models of active speakers, but here are some starting points:
Yamaha DBR10 (350W, 10.5kg, £384)
RCF HD 10-A (400W, 11.8kg, £479)
QSC CP12 (500W, 13.7kg, £609)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Smanth said:

I have one I am about to put up for sale, it's been my back up and never been used in anger! I am gradually selling all my gear as I am no longer gigging. PM for a good price!!