Why become a member? ×

Am I the bestest Basschatter in the whole wide world, at least until tomorrow?

MacDaddy

Question

18 answers to this question

We love you.  

While OT is useful for members to get to know each other outside bass, the content doesn't help our search engine rankings much and in the past a clique of members used OT to artificially inflate their post count.  They were probably confusing quantity with quality.

5 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Kind of ridiculous I've 'won the day' by posting a few memes.

I seem to remember the original plan was that off topic would not count toward post count?

As far as I see, the off topic doesn't increase content count, so it is odd that you can win the day with it - I think something has got lost in translation - I will look into it

ok, looked into it, it isn't sadly an option without a plugin

42 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

As far as I see, the off topic doesn't increase content count, so it is odd that you can win the day with it - I think something has got lost in translation - I will look into it

ok, looked into it, it isn't sadly an option without a plugin

AFAICS while posts in Off Topic don't count towards to the post count that is visible to others, any reputation gained from those posts does count which is how you can win the day and why most people who win the day are those who post frequently in the popular Off Topic threads.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

AFAICS while posts in Off Topic don't count towards to the post count that is visible to others, any reputation gained from those posts does count which is how you can win the day and why most people who win the day are those who post frequently in the popular Off Topic threads.

Indeed - that is what I am saying

Its the reason threads like the DOI exist.  A massive back patting exercise started by a newbie ( back then )  who wanted to get their likes up faster, so as to look like a real trooper,

and lose that   ' i'm new here with a low like count '  status

Only the sad and kids want to look popular on a tiny insignificant miniscule corner of the internet.

• Haha 2

On 09/11/2023 at 05:24, fleabag said:

Its the reason threads like the DOI exist.  A massive back patting exercise started by a newbie ( back then )  who wanted to get their likes up faster, so as to look like a real trooper,

and lose that   ' i'm new here with a low like count '  status

Only the sad and kids want to look popular on a tiny insignificant miniscule corner of the internet.

Harsh to describe Talkb*ss like that.

• Like 1

I have won the day 383 times, almost exclusively off-topic posts in the DOI, something I'm rather embarrassed about. I would personally prefer for off-topic posts not to garner statistics, after all, this is a site specifically for the discussion of bass. There should, of course, be an off-topic section but the fact that I have won the day so often for making funny posts on a obscure branch of off-topic when there are hundreds of expert bass players sharing priceless information seems faintly ridiculous to me.

• Like 2

On 07/11/2023 at 12:11, MacDaddy said:

Kind of ridiculous I've 'won the day' by posting a few memes.

I seem to remember the original plan was that off topic would not count toward post count?

Any plans for this to happen?

😜 I would absolutely give You ''the best logo of all time'' award, here in BC !!!

• Thanks 1