Why become a member? ×

Favourite songs where the bass line is the hook!

Al Krow

Steal Your Kisses - Ben Harper

Money - Pink Floyd

Fell In Love With A Boy - Joss Stone

Pusherman - Curtis Mayfield

Lovely Day - Withers Bill

Let's Dance - David Bowie

Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel

Express Yourself - Charles Wright

• Like 1

On 25/10/2023 at 07:46, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got hundreds of great reggae basslines but most here don’t like reggae so I’m going to go with one that I think makes the song 

I love reggae 😁 share your faves plz

Perhaps an obvious choice, but surely one of the most hook worthy bass lines ever ( as well as being near perfection IMO)

This extract from Wiki sums it up really -

The opening bass notes are recognized around the world. As Smokey Robinson says, "I can be in a foreign country where people don't speak English and the audience will start cheering before I even start singing "My Girl." They know what's coming as soon as they hear the opening bass line. [He sings the famous line created by bassist James Jamerson:] 'Bah bum-bum, bah bum-bum, bah bum-bum.'"

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rich said:

I love reggae 😁 share your faves plz

9 hours ago, itu said:

Yes, please.

(Sly & Robbie are one of my all time fave rhythm duos: not all notes, just the right ones in right places.)

Thanks Rich and itu 🙏, I have so many but I’m going to pick 3 off the top of my head which are different in their own ways , one from Flabba Holt with Johnny osbourne, from 3.25 you can hear the Bassline more isolated, the timing ,note lengths and space changes are so good 

and one from Robbie Shakespeare from one of the later albums Love Restart, the whole album is really good I would recommend it, some really nice Basslines 

and one from Clinton fearon who was in the gladiators and is a good bass player himself , Mato Cirade a reggae  bass player from France plays for him now , this is a good one to play and not quite as easy as it might look, I could go on and on 😁, hope you enjoy 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...