Why become a member? ×

Album of the Week Club.

Newfoundfreedom

I find myself listening to less and less music these days, and when I do, I find I just fall back on all the same old stuff. 

So here's my idea. If anyone's interested. I'm going to start an "Album of the Week Club". This would work on the same basis as a book club. Every week (let's say Friday) I will use an app to choose an album totally at random from any genre or period of time. Then I'll spend the week listening to the album and giving my thoughts. 

I'm hoping to do this with as open a mind as possible as there are many genres that my natural reflex is to dislike, so I'm hoping to broaden my horizons and listen to things that I wouldn't ordinarily be interested in. 

Of course there's also the chance that the generator could choose one of my favourite albums. That's the luck of the draw. 

So, anyone else stuck in a musical rut and fancy joining me on this little social experiment? 

The rules. 

I'll be using a random album generator app called Shfl (shuffle) to choose the album. I will then check to see if the album is available to stream for free on Bandcamp and provide a link. The first album selected each week (with a steaming link) will be the album I listen to for the following week, regardless of genre or personal taste. Until the following week when another album will be selected. 

Screenshot_2023-10-24-10-28-56-921_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

sounds like a good way to broaden one's musical horizons, as you say

I'm not familiar with book club procedure - is the plan for you to write a short review after listening, and invite comments on the same album from other listeners? 

cheers

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sandy_r said:

sounds like a good way to broaden one's musical horizons, as you say

I'm not familiar with book club procedure - is the plan for you to write a short review after listening, and invite comments on the same album from other listeners? 

cheers

I've never been in one 😆

But yes. That's pretty much the idea. Not necessarily a long winded review (unless that's what you want to do) but a casual discussion about the album. Maybe what you liked about it or disliked. Maybe certain tracks or sections which you particularly enjoyed. Recommendations for similar things to listen to. Anything like that. 

• Like 2

A frightening prospect, but intriguing, so I'll listen to what's selected, and maybe comment on what I think of it. My tastes are wide, but there are certain genres which, over the decades, have proven themselves to be 'not for me'; here's hoping there's not too much of that drawn out of the virtual hat. To be continued, then... :friends:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sprocketflup said:

Does the SHFL app have a particular 'pool' of albums that it can choose from?

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but from the random sampling I've done it seems quite eclectic. 

From the blurb on the app....

Shfl is a music recommendation tool — one that depends only on the very simplest algorithm of them all, random sampling. It is built from a massive number of specific recommendations from individual people — music critics, musicians, and a few carefully chosen lists from around the web. The only way to make a random sampler work for recommendations is if the population sampled from is full of wonderful things, and this one is — a carefully designed warren where you can go directly from Danny Brown to Scarlatti.

• Like 1