Why become a member? ×

Album of the Week Club.

Newfoundfreedom

I'm in. Do I have to listen to it more than once if I don't like it?

Along a similar vein a few years ago I made a bet with myself to listen to an album that I'd never listened to before every day for a year (familiar artists were allowed but the more off my usual piste the better). I'd already won the bet by early December and carried on until close to Christmas (I think I gave myself a week or two off)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, toneknob said:

I'm in. Do I have to listen to it more than once if I don't like it?

Along a similar vein a few years ago I made a bet with myself to listen to an album that I'd never listened to before every day for a year (familiar artists were allowed but the more off my usual piste the better). I'd already won the bet by early December and carried on until close to Christmas (I think I gave myself a week or two off)

You don't have to do anything you don't want. 

I'm planning on giving each album at least 3 goes through during the week to at least get a bit familiar with the material. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It really could be anything, although if it has to be available on Bandcamp that will limit the choices.

I've just done 5 SHFLs and got a very eclectic mix of classical music, avant garde, electronica, pop, and a film sound track...

Yeah. Unfortunately there will be some suggestions that pop up that aren't on Bandcamp. Which is why I said the first suggestion available. To make it work I want to make sure it's free and accessible to everyone. Some people won't have access to paid steaming services. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

You could do Spotify - that's free and probably has a larger selection than Bandcamp.

Also IIRC you can only stream each track a certain number of times (3?) on Bandcamp without buying it.

I tried Spotify (I don't have an account) and it would only play a few seconds sample of each track on the album. 

I like the Bandcamp idea because it's a good way of supporting smaller artists. 3 listens should be enough to decide whether or not you like an album. And if anyone decides to then buy the album is a win win. 

People are of course welcome to stream the album on which ever service they have available. 😁👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I tried Spotify (I don't have an account) and it would only play a few seconds sample of each track on the album. 

You do need an account to use Spotify, but unless the terms have changed for new sign ups you don't actually have to pay anything, although they probably will try and steer you towards a paid-for account. The free version has ads, but often you don't get any for hours (or at least I don't)

8 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Do artists get paid for streams from the bandcamp site if you don't buy the album?

I don't think so. That's probably why there's a limit on the number of time you can stream a track without buying it. I've never seen Bandcamp listed as a source on any of my PRS royalty statements, and the only payments I get directly from Bandcamp are when someone buys a physical or digital copy of my music.

13 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I also found with Spotify that it either only plays a few seconds or it actually plays a different track to the one you suggested. YouTube is also another good platform for full albums.

Never found that at all. However in my case it proved to completely impossible to access anything off Spotify without an account so I signed up for the basic free one. 

I also have an artist account for one of my bands which provides useful information about the streaming of our songs.