Why become a member? ×

Anyone else just ready to give up?

AndyTravis

55 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Just as a side note, I wonder if its normal for musicians or even people to just totally lose interest in listening to music? I generally for most of the time have music on in the house and in the car all the time and I do flick from listening to lots of Jazz, to then something heavier like Rage, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains to then 80's music and then some of my favourite artists. I then get periods when I want to listen to absolutely nothing, either because I just want the silence or I am just not in the mood for listening to any music at all.

100% and such phases usually last several weeks in my case. Instead of having music on I'll listen to TED Talks, various podcasts and many things through the BBC Sounds app...bar music. I don't listen to any music radio as whatever the station  it's the same merry-go-rounds of songs played to death and beyond the grave. Then there's silence which I like when out running or kayaking, speckled with just the sounds of birdsong, the breeze rustling the leaves on trees, of traffic on the M5 southbound..

• Like 3

I've had a 15-year hiatus from gigging that came to and end in May.  I was never, ever going to play in a band again, and then my friend tricked me into jamming with him, which became a non-gigging band.  When that came to a natural end, I felt the pull, bought a bass and formed a covers band (something else I was never going to do).  I'm having the most fun I've ever had with my pants on.

You can put it down without having anything more on the agenda than just putting it down.  Whatever you do, do what you fee is best for you at the time.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

100% and such phases usually last several weeks in my case. Instead of having music on I'll listen to TED Talks, various podcasts and many things through the BBC Sounds app...bar music. I don't listen to any music radio as whatever the station  it's the same merry-go-rounds of songs played to death and beyond the grave. Then there's silence which I like when out running or kayaking, speckled with just the sounds of birdsong, the breeze rustling the leaves on trees, of traffic on the M5 southbound..

This sounds just like me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

Just as a side note, I wonder if its normal for musicians or even people to just totally lose interest in listening to music? I generally for most of the time have music on in the house and in the car all the time and I do flick from listening to lots of Jazz, to then something heavier like Rage, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains to then 80's music and then some of my favourite artists. I then get periods when I want to listen to absolutely nothing, either because I just want the silence or I am just not in the mood for listening to any music at all.

I find that the amount of music I listen to is inversely proportional to how active I am creating music myself.

When I'm being creative I find I simply don't have time to listen to other people's music.

I can't do it while I work because it's too distracting (TBH anything other than silence I find too distracting), unless I'm working on something that requires very little brain power like drawing clipping paths for Photoshop cut outs, but even then I won't put any music on unless I know I'm going to be doing something like this for several hours without a break.

At the moment I'm being particularly creative musically, so the only chance I get to listen to other people's music is at gigs (where one of my bands is also playing) or in the car with my girlfriend where the choice of music has to be something we both like.

• Like 3

Over the last year, we have had a bit of upheaval in my band. Just when I think everything is sorted, something else pops up to threaten the future of the band. Too long a story to get into but it almost fell apart a couple of weeks back and I decided that if it did, I was finished with bands. I seem to have ended up the voice of reason and the peacemaker.

I have a few nice basses but it takes me all my time to pick them up these days to practice so if this version of the band goes t*ts up, I`m gonna knock bands on the head and just play for pleasure in the house.

• Like 3

I’m almost at the point of giving up. 

I’m no longer in a gigging band, the three basses I own have never left the house since I bought them, I only play bass when I’m recording and only need one bass for that. I don’t even own a dedicated bass amp anymore.

I’m not likely to tour again and recent family developments have moved me towards the ‘Swedish Cleaning” mode, if you know what I mean. I’m ready to start listing a load of gear on Reverb, and everything else - instruments, clothes, books, records, CDs, personal effects, furniture, etc - will soon be up for grabs too. Not having any dependents, and soon no next of kin either is making me look at ‘stuff’ in a very different way than I would have done before.

It’s quite possible that my personal health situation is also a contributing factor to this, but there’s an almost visceral urge within me to let it all just go. I’d bet I’m not the only one on here in a similar situation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 6

Had a 20 year gap, thought I’d never be involved in live music again. Done sound for a friends band and agreed to help for a charity gig, which gave me the bug again. Somehow ended up with a cover band which I got landed with everything and I don’t understand how? I own the van, the PA, book the gigs and organise rehearsals.

Recently been asked to “just play bass” for another band who’ve lost their bass player and haven’t gigged for 4/5 years. I’m being handed songs I’ve never heard before, or songs I thought I’d never play and loving it. 

Sometimes it’s just about circumstance and what you get from it?

• Like 4

Im a failed classical musican (did violin up to 19) So in my late teens started bass and I played it consistently for 40 years, however the last 10 I started getting increasingly bored with it.

The straw that broke the camels back 6 yrs ago was a round trip of 300 miles depping a private party outside in the rain, (covered stage)  Rich dude, good money...... but we end up sat around all day just to play to a handful of tiny tots and their mums...in the rain.!  That was it, finished. Im done.

Up shot is Ive got back into the classics and started studying Cello and I couldn't be happier... Hard work. Hard study and maybe in a couple yrs I may just be good enough to join the local community orchestra...Ok I'm only 63 but to me now pop and rock just seems so dull, even the old stuff I love...Ive played it all, loved it all....But its time to move on..do something totally new.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, meterman said:

It’s quite possible that my personal health situation is also a contributing factor to this, but there’s an almost visceral urge within me to let it all just go. I’d bet I’m not the only one on here in a similar situation.

I hope whatever it is isn't too serious. I can see how things can be put into perspective very quickly by health worries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Totally with you @AndyTravis. I quit my band a few months ago after 10+ years as I was bored and want enjoying it. 

Haven’t missed or regretted it once - still I’m touch with the band who are mates and I think they expect me to say I regret my decision. I don’t. It actually felt like a massive weight off my shoulders.

I’ve totally stopped playing the bass and re-discovered the piano. I still love ‘bass’ as a sound but I’ve got zero GAS for any equipment or kit. I don’t think I’ll ever sell my JMJ 😃 as it’s just a thing of beauty but I can see me gradually selling off much of the other stuff. 

It just feels like a natural end. I’m OK with it. If the urge comes back in time I’m sure I’ll pick it up again. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, greavesbass said:

The straw that broke the camels back 6 yrs ago was a round trip of 300 miles depping a private party outside in the rain, (covered stage)  Rich dude, good money...... but we end up sat around all day just to play to a handful of tiny tots and their mums...in the rain.!  That was it, finished. Im done.

Sounds like our gig in Baraboo 2 weeks ago 

For those of you new to gigging, what Geaves describes is a part of the business. Your going to have challenging gigs.

This Saturday it will be 48°, windy and rainy. Not what I would call glamorous. 

This is what I'm looking at. I will arrive with a smile and a cheerleader attitude. 

Blue

FB_IMG_1697067518721.jpg

FB_IMG_1697146439383.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, ahpook said:

No real news from the 'band' I'm 'in'.

There's still some talk about finding a drummer, but having joinedthis a year ago and got nowhere outside a practice room, I can't see it going anywhere.

I've had the odd noodle on a bass over the last week, just learning some Roxy Music songs for my own amusement...but I still feel less and less like I'm a, I dunno, 'proper'* bass player as time goes by.

It really is quite dispiriting

*Whilst admitting that I'm not sure what that means.

A drummer friend of mine spent 8 months putting together a cracking

" oldies" band.  At the last minute the bass player

" flaked" out and bailed on them. They were too bummed and exhausted to look for a bass new player and gave up. I can't say I blame them.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Sounds like our gig in Baraboo 2 weeks ago 

For those of you new to gigging, what Geaves describes is a part of the business. Your going to have challenging gigs.

This Saturday it will be 48°, windy and rainy. Not what I would call glamorous. 

This is what I'm looking at. I will arrive with a smile and a cheerleader attitude. 

Blue

FB_IMG_1697067518721.jpg

FB_IMG_1697146439383.jpg

You're lucky you've got sides on it!

I've also done gigs with 2 small marquees pushed together. That meant the rain ran through the join and on to the drum kit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

You're lucky you've got sides on it!

I've also done gigs with 2 small marquees pushed together. That meant the rain ran through the join and on to the drum kit!

Happened to me too!

Amazing how upset drummers get. It’s not as if they’re plugged into the mains…😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yup. I've pretty much given up on the whole idea too. I haven't played since April when the band had an extremely minor disagreement, which would ordinarily be water off a duck's back, but this time it coincided with an extremely busy time at work and my mother's health taking a turn for the worse, so I just couldn't be ar5ed. 

Now all my time and mental energy is taken up caring for mum who has terminal cancer. Even the thought of gigging or rehearsing leaves me feeling exhausted. 

I also wouldn't trust myself to be out in public in my current mental state. As a card carrying misanthrope at the best of times, I think one wrong word right now would lead to me getting locked up. Something I can't afford given my current situation. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

It’s about the love of music innit.

All of us here share a passion for music.

If bass does nothing for you, try something else for a few months/years, guitar or piano? Or even recording or engineering for another band. Whatever takes your interest. Singing in a choir, Morris Dancing?😄

Then at some point, you’ll see a bass leaning in the corner of a room, you’ll pick it up, have a noodle, and it will feel GOOD.🙂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Now all my time and mental energy is taken up caring for mum who has terminal cancer. Even the thought of gigging or rehearsing leaves me feeling exhausted. 

I also wouldn't trust myself to be out in public in my current mental state. As a card carrying misanthrope at the best of times, I think one wrong word right now would lead to me getting locked up. Something I can't afford given my current situation. 

Sounds like tough times for you Andy. Stay strong buddy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just to add to my above post of semi doom and gloom. My P bass resides in the corner of the living room, plugged into my BA110 and ready for what I euphomistically call 'The Lunchtime Recital' where I open up any old random playlist and have a blast...No complaints from the neighbours so maybe they enjoy it too...haha, tho with them being old I make sure I do some Sinatra, or old time jazz etc.....I bet none of us can actually quit for good.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Just to add to my above post of semi doom and gloom. My P bass resides in the corner of the living room, plugged into my BA110 and ready for what I euphomistically call 'The Lunchtime Recital' where I open up any old random playlist and have a blast...No complaints from the neighbours so maybe they enjoy it too...haha, tho with them being old I make sure I do some Sinatra, or old time jazz etc.....I bet none of us can actually quit for good.

That would be a great way of broadening your playlist - take oldies requests from the neighbours :)

I like the way you frame it btw - 'The Lunchtime Recital'...brilliant !

What's on the playlist at the mo ?

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ahpook said:

What's on the playlist at the mo ?

Haha. Well Sinatra as I mentioned (forget pop and rock, open the windows and crank Fly Me To The Moon, its bloody liberating)... Anyway, the usual, Autumn leaves, some Glenn Miller....any showtime stuff I can find, then finish off with Steely Dan and ABBA. That kinda satisfies the itch....it'll do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greavesbass said:

Haha. Well Sinatra as I mentioned (forget pop and rock, open the windows and crank Fly Me To The Moon, its bloody liberating)... Anyway, the usual, Autumn leaves, some Glenn Miller....any showtime stuff I can find, then finish off with Steely Dan and ABBA. That kinda satisfies the itch....it'll do.

Sounds like a blast ! I think I'd quite like to be your neighbour :)

• Like 2

No, I’ve never contemplated giving up either playing or gigging. I began on guitar 45 years ago and added bass in 2000 and I still find lots of new music to try and gigs to play. I started using a bullet journal to track, organise and plan it all. I’m keenly aware that an unplanned life event could come along and change things in a heartbeat so I’m enjoying doing everything that I can while I’m able to. I also recognise that as a ‘boomer’ with grown-up kids I now have the dual privileges of spare time and disposable income - not something to feel guilty about, but I realise many people have far less of both and consequently fewer options when it comes to playing and gigging.

• Like 2