Why become a member? ×

What single thing would you like a gear company to do that they don't do currently?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

53 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Fender has this A string or whatever string retainer standard on their new models since a decade or two and they even sell it. 😉

It's basically a washer with a string guide pulling down the string, at a delirious price: https://www.fender.com/en-GB/parts/electric-bass-parts/string-guides-nuts/stealth-bass-string-retainer/0078972049.html

I thought they only put it on higher end ones. If they're doing it across the board I applaud them.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

They made an improved volute that wouldn't break when dropped and noone would buy it as it didn't feel as narrow as the old ones

They could just use a truss rod that doesn't require a hole big enough to accommodate a massive spanner. Or a scarf joint. But no doubt the purists would complain and a neck that cracks when breathed on will remain a prestige feature for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rexel Matador said:

They could just use a truss rod that doesn't require a hole big enough to accommodate a massive spanner. Or a scarf joint. But no doubt the purists would complain and a neck that cracks when breathed on will remain a prestige feature for the foreseeable future.

Basically the advantage and disadvantage of being one of those companies such as Gibson or Fender, is that everyone complains they don't do anything new, and if they then do anything new, people complain it wasn't like the old things, and why the hell are they changing things. TBH, I am not sure why purists even accept the truss rod in a fender!

On the other hand, they can just churn the same stuff out and people will buy it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TimR said:

I wonder for how much longer though. Who is buying them new? The market must be pretty much saturated. 

They still seem to sell, for more than they used to. With anything over 10 years now seeming to be a classic and more expensive than newer ones, I guess the market carries on.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TimR said:

I wonder for how much longer though. Who is buying them new? The market must be pretty much saturated. 

I suppose there must be some degree of attrition; basses lost to theft and damage need to be replaced. 

That surely can't account for all of it.

There must be some people out there with more than just a bass and a spare 🤔 

• Haha 2

On 08/09/2023 at 10:15, SteveXFR said:

DR to make extra long scale bass strings. 

Multiscale basses are getting more popular in metal and us metal heads like to have everything black so give us some black strings.

Do Black Beauties come in Multi-Scale yet? Got them on a 5-ver and love them...

• Like 1

Offer the Mustang Bass (by you-know-who) as a lefty. I would be perfectly happy with a lefty version of the Squier CV too. 

And real, Canadian-made Dingwalls, I would love me an Afterburner II with an all-wenge neck. I really appreciate they've given us left Combustions and NG's, but I feel they're incredibly overpriced for something made in China and I don't like their looks as much. 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 2