Why become a member? ×

Norway....

Barking Spiders

Beyond A-Ha and Death/Black metal, Norway's music scene has a lot more to offer. Just been enjoying some Dagny after a recommendation on another thread. She's excellent as is Sigrid. Also Norway's home to some fine electronica such as seminal ambient electronica guru Biosphere, space disco merchant Prins Thomas, fellow part time collaborator Lindstrom, Norway's answer to The Chemical Brothers, Ugress, and the better known Royksopp.

So, any other small countries you reckon are punching above their weight music-wise considering their small populations?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Sweden for sure: The Wannadies, Europe, The Cardigans, Esbjorn Svensson Trio, Entombed, At The Gates, TSOOL, Opeth, The Hives... Abba?

... and Laleh too.
Her "Some Die Young" nearly became Norway's national anthem, as it were, after the 2011 Norway attacks. 
Beatiful song, though I tend to prefer the live versions without the effects on the voice.

26 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I think there is so much great stuff from so many places but ultimately it depends on your tastes. Personally I'm into some great bands from everywhere from Italy to Belarus. I think the record companies fixate far too much on L.A., New York and London. 

And sadly, one of the best things in years for British bands outside of London, BBC Introducing, is being reduced.

Edited by Mykesbass

The 3rd and the Mortal again, now from the more atmospheric album "In this room".
One can hear some experimentation going on, as well as a proggish influence.
BTW, I've seen them live twice, and not only were they a great band, they were also highly different from their albums - more death metal like.
Innersting.

2 hours ago, Crusoe said:

I'll have you know Dana is considered a goddess in these parts. Oh, you mean Van? 😄

Well considering their website was therapyquestionmark.com...

Oh, and I met Dana briefly - she was absolutely delightful. As for Therapy? probably the nicest people I had the pleasure of working with in my record company days.

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Well considering their website was therapyquestionmark.com...

Oh, and I met Dana briefly - she was absolutely delightful. As for Therapy? probably the nicest people I had the pleasure of working with in my record company days.

Ahh, yes. i forgot about Therapy's logo 😄

• Like 1