Why become a member? ×

Van Halen 1984 Donington footage

Mudpup

This just popped up on You Tube. (May get removed so be quick if you like Van Halen)

Great onstage angle of the band in their prime period including loads of Magic Mike Anthony and his great backing vocals. Stage invasions and just tons of swagger and energy and I was there ..

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

This just popped up on You Tube. (May get removed so be quick if you like Van Halen)

Great onstage angle of the band in their prime period including loads of Magic Mike Anthony and his great backing vocals. Stage invasions and just tons of swagger and energy and I was there ..

Ooh, a double P Ric (alike?).

25 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I was there and had vivid memories of Dave's comeback on the bottle thrower and his threat to do things to his girlfriend.  LOL

I too was there! Don't remember seeing you though...lol 🤔🤣🤣 The bands I can remeber being on the bill were Accept, Y&T, Van Halen, Gary Moore, Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC. Quite a line up.

2 hours ago, Acebassmusic said:

I too was there! Don't remember seeing you though...lol 🤔🤣🤣 The bands I can remeber being on the bill were Accept, Y&T, Van Halen, Gary Moore, Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC. Quite a line up.

Motley Crue opened it. You can clearly see me in the crowd  - I was the one with the long dark hair and a black leather biker jacket....

• Haha 3

I got a chance to see the  footage yesterday and it made me hanker for the world as it was back in those days. VH were at the peak of their powers and going through the gears with ease.

It's an era that's long gone, and instead nowadays we have got an array of bedwetters doing the festival circuit trying to outdo each other with competitive virtue signalling. I don't remember Van Halen bleating about environmental issues, gender equality and Third World debt. They just got up there and did their thing.

• Like 3

EVH didn't just have the chops,he had the tone and feel as well.

I remember reading an interview in Guitar Player magazine a very very long time ago in which Eddie was expressing his admiration for guitarists like Brian May and Eric Clapton because of the richness of their sound. He had the same warmth in his tone, and it was a big part of what made his virtuosity so enjoyable . That first VH album was the biggest game changer in rock guitar since Hendrix more than a decade earlier.

Michael Anthony is a good bass player too. I've heard some people put him down but I really can't see why. He's obviously a very capable player and he did a great job in Van Halen.

Edited by Misdee

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

Michael Anthony is a good bass player too. I've heard some people put him down but I really can't see why. He's obviously a very capable player and he did a great job in Van Halen.

Although he should have told them to F-right off, when Roth and the Van Halen brothers insisted that he sign away all future songwriting credit and royalties, retroactive with the 1984 LP.

IMO.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Although he should have told them to F-right off, when Roth and the Van Halen brothers insisted that he sign away all future songwriting credit and royalties, retroactive with the 1984 LP.

IMO.

Def, a right liberty, when I read Noel Monks (their manager) book and got to this part I was gobsmacked, how the other 3 could do that to him was disgusting.