Why become a member? ×

The first 75 seconds of bass - WOW!

Happy Jack

Love the fact that Steve Lukather is using either a Gretsch short scale or then

what looks like a SquierJaguar SS , both inexpensive basses. Maybe they belong

to Hamish though, who is no stranger to a shorty himself. 

26 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Did the roadie just bypass the pedals? Why does that guy need pedals on that gig?

Maybe just an AB pedal for swapping instruments or something?

• Like 1

As an aside, some years ago I saw the Average White Band with Alan Gorrie.  I enjoyed them a lot, always one of my favourite bands, but there was a spark missing.  Then, a few years later, I saw the Hamish Stuart band at a tiny local venue.  He was the clearly the source of the funk because the band were amazing.  Steve Pearce on bass.  Then a few years after that I saw the 360 Band, Hamishes other lot, which had Steve Ferrone on drums and Steve Pearce on bass.  What a rhythm section!  Hamish has lost the voice but hasn't lost the funk.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

And a pick playing bassist .. Yay !! 

Can of worms time... guitarist playing a bass (which he is famed for) or does he become a bassist because he is playing a bass?  

Either way picks are good and I think SL might have struggled to play finger style.  :)

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Why are there two drummers?

Ringo wants the support of another drummer. Charlie Watts had the same set up in his band.

Back in the day we supported a couple of bands with that set up. Since then always wanted to play with 2 drummers but sadly never have.

20 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Can of worms time... guitarist playing a bass (which he is famed for) or does he become a bassist because he is playing a bass?  

Either way picks are good and I think SL might have struggled to play finger style.  :)

Hamish has always used a pick when playing bass, too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

As an aside, some years ago I saw the Average White Band with Alan Gorrie.  I enjoyed them a lot, always one of my favourite bands, but there was a spark missing.  Then, a few years later, I saw the Hamish Stuart band at a tiny local venue.  He was the clearly the source of the funk because the band were amazing.  Steve Pearce on bass.  Then a few years after that I saw the 360 Band, Hamishes other lot, which had Steve Ferrone on drums and Steve Pearce on bass.  What a rhythm section!  Hamish has lost the voice but hasn't lost the funk.

Agree with you Paul. Saw the original AWB line up many times in the 70’s / early 80’s, and then a few with 

various line ups up until recently, so one of my favourite bands. They still sound great, but never have had

that magic vibe they had when Hamish was with them IMHO. I also saw Hamish with his band probably the

same time as you mention, at a pub in Leeds ( The Duchess?) and they were indeed awesome. Think it was

around the time Hamish was in Paul McCartney’s touring band.

The AWB have recently announced their final UK tour for spring 2024. I’ll probably be going if I can. 😊

• Like 3

Extra drums / percussion seemed to be a thing for Hamish. I played live with him a couple of times and both times he had drums and two percussionists, of which I was one.

Both times, three quarters of Young Gun Silver Fox formed the basis of his backing band and I was on percussion duties. The bassist used no pedals at all!

Best time was playing all the AWB hits plus a bunch of other hits that Hamish had either written or played on. Doing “Pick Up The Pieces” and “I’m Every Woman” and “What You Gonna Do For Me”’ on the main stage closing a summer festival at Hyde Park was a real trip for me, I loved the AWB singles as a kid so it was ace to play them with the guy who wrote them on a big gig. It’s not super hi-res but I’m the skinhead third left in the pic:

C9FF9FB4-3785-4EFD-B9D2-DC1EB9A36ED5.jpeg.e85e1a36061c42f8b74daa96264d4acf.jpeg

and in silhouette at the same gig:

031A708E-3702-4166-BB7F-8621E46B9DE7.jpeg.368fc5b0eb2f56799fddcb50b54866f9.jpeg

July 2017 I think it was?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1