Why become a member? ×

Metal specific basses

SteveXFR

Comparing the Ibanez "Iron Label" SRMS625EX with the SRMS805, they have the same pickups (Bartolini BH2's), electronics and the same wood (Okoume) for the main body (805 has a poplar top), the necks are pretty similar both 5pc (both use Walnut and another wood). The iron label uses a synthetic ebonol for the fretboard which is going to be a lot harder than the Panga Panga used for the 805. The neck shape and scale etc are identical, the bridge is identical so if you are happy to have the matt black finish... save yourself around £200 on the retail price and buy the Iron Label!

1 minute ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I'm desperately excited that BC Rich have finally reissued the Ironbird. It's one of my favourite bass designs ever. 

Despite not playing much metal anymore, I still hope to get one and use it as often as possible.

lg_f2b68777c69e452eb80ccc91afcfd1b3.jpg

I'd play that at a country night, or in church.  Anyone who complains is a churlish killjoy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Doctor J said:

Hopefully they're offering it in yellow, too. I have an irrational lust for a yellow Ironbird since seeing Johnny Rod wield one with WASP a long, long time ago.

johnny-rod-91856850-15b5-4c91-bd0a-8340f

I don't think I need that haircut, though 😁

Just black and red at the moment. Red like Geezer's.

This pic was taken seconds after he bashed his hand on one of the pointy bits.

4yiR5dsUK3zGKPRskpSrSd-1200-80.jpg

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Just black and red at the moment. Red like Geezer's.

This pic was taken seconds after he bashed his hand on one of the pointy bits.

4yiR5dsUK3zGKPRskpSrSd-1200-80.jpg

He's been through plenty of brands.

I presume the early stuff was Fender P, BC Rich (as above), plus Vigier and Lakland that I know of.  I'm sure there's more!

Edit-(Assuming Wikipedia to be loosely accurate)

When it comes to Lakland, he's been through everyone else's signature models before he got his own!

Joe Osborn, Bob Glaub and Duck Dunn's...

"Metal" they ain't, and yet...

This really isn't making a good case for having a variety of instruments if it really is "all in the fingers!"

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

johnny-rod-91856850-15b5-4c91-bd0a-8340f

I don't think I need that haircut, though 😁

I'd like to have enough hair to have the option.
I also think you'd need that kind of hair to suit having a yellow Iron Bird

4 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I'm desperately excited that BC Rich have finally reissued the Ironbird. It's one of my favourite bass designs ever. 

Despite not playing much metal anymore, I still hope to get one and use it as often as possible.

lg_f2b68777c69e452eb80ccc91afcfd1b3.jpg

Cool looking and sounding bass (Neck-thru body, ebony fingerboard, DiMarzio Double Split P pickups) and it is RED 🤩

Very tempted to get one now!

• Like 1

On 23/07/2023 at 10:34, Newfoundfreedom said:

I think it's more or less just an esthetic thing. 

I used to prefer the looks of a more modern bass ( my tastes are slowly changing ) For a good few years I've played a Traben as my main bass, and they're very much considered "metal". The band I'm in is about as far from metal as you can get, and the thing sounds absolutely sublime with an excellent tonal range that would fit nicely in any genre. 

On the other side of the coin you have people like Steve Harris who almost defined the genre and has happily played a P Bass for decades. 

And not just a P Bass, but a P Bass with flatwound strings on.

18 hours ago, Rich said:

Generally I'm not a massive fan of pointy basses, but there's something about the Explorer shape that I really like. I would love an Aria ZZB. 

PSX_20230730_144441.jpg

I have an explorer bass, no idea what brand it is, bought it off ebay years ago, but it doesn't play badly at all and has a single P bass pickup so sounds pretty P bassy. Needs all the paint stripping as whoever had it before me tried to paint on a wood effect... it looks awful! 

I'd love to have the time to do the work on it and then use it at the most inappropriate moments. Jazz gig... crack out the explorer!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Tim2291 said:

I have an explorer bass, no idea what brand it is, bought it off ebay years ago, but it doesn't play badly at all and has a single P bass pickup so sounds pretty P bassy. Needs all the paint stripping as whoever had it before me tried to paint on a wood effect... it looks awful! 

I'd love to have the time to do the work on it and then use it at the most inappropriate moments. Jazz gig... crack out the explorer!

Someone painted a wood effect on to … wood? This I have to see

On 22/07/2023 at 22:24, SteveXFR said:

Having never actually played a metal specific bass I'm curious about whether they're actually anything more than just a bit metal looking.

I'm a bit curious about the Ibanez Iron label basses as a replacement for my P bass

You have a P bass, no replacement is required!!

23 hours ago, Rich said:

Generally I'm not a massive fan of pointy basses, but there's something about the Explorer shape that I really like. I would love an Aria ZZB. 

PSX_20230730_144441.jpg

There was a time when Mutoid Man were using matching Aria guitars and basses with Nick playing one of those, it looked great

https://youtu.be/T5PXu34mYGA

22 hours ago, nige1968 said:

Someone painted a wood effect on to … wood? This I have to see

It's in my Dads cabin at the moment so I'll try ad get a photo... I have managed to get it off but when I first got it, the pickup had also been painted!

• Haha 1