Why become a member? ×

How many amps?

bassbora

I’m a little nerdy about amps , and there’s a bunch I’d like to get my mitts on.

for gigs 

mostly use a Bergantino Forte as a back end , and use Monique , a tube preamp as the front end.

and Bergantino cabs HDN 112 & 210. A nice compact powerful modular rig. It will run clean hifi to a lovely old school tube thump. I often just need a single cabs for mid sized rooms.

backup stage power is a GenzBenz Streamliner that agedhorse checked out. It runs like a brand new amp. And is a classic .

home practice 

Aguilar TH350 with an Aguilar SL112

also have a practice rig at the inlaw’s as we look after my mother-in-law 

Phil Jones C2 mini cab with a Darkglass e500

and a Hotone ThunderBass for headphone practice , can also accept a tablet … great silent rig

and spares for now 

GK MB 200 sometimes used as a rehearsal rig with an Ampeg 210AV

SWR HeadLite 

an ancient GK MB150 combo , still a great little combo

I’ve been meaning to pick up some Mesa power one of these days … I watch kijiji like a hawk. Herself doesn’t want me to bring any more cabs in the house , but amps and basses are still ok.

• Like 1

Reading replies above, I’m quite surprised how many people have what I would consider a gigging 

set up as a practice one. I’m guessing these do probably double up as gig worthy ‘spare’ rigs?
For playing at home I just use my cheap and cheerful studio monitors and desk, so don’t feel 

the need for a home set up - mind you, I’m beginning to think it may be a decent idea to spark

off some more GAS…..😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I keep my gigging rig totally separate , so I’m not forgetting cords or tuners or whatnot.

And each practice setup totally self contained. So I can simply sit down , flip a switch , and I’m good to go.

I was interesting how the practice rig at the in-laws has evolved. At first I thought I just needed an amp , and something cheap and small would be ideal.

I picked up a Fender Rumble 15 , and discovered that I was used to hearing nice tone. The Rumble sucked. Awful tone. First I snagged a little GK MB200 , a lucky find , it was exactly what I was looking for. Beautiful little amp. Initial cab was a Traynor 212 … too big , replaced with an Ampeg 210AV , that was replaced with a Phil Jones C2. Paid too much for that but I do use it daily. And the MB was replaced by the Darkglass e500. There’s also a headphone amp there for silent practice.
So that rig evolution took some time. And may well change again. 
But for now is an ideal , and funky little rig.

• Like 1

And for many years my GK MB150 combo was the perfect home practice rig , but as the in-law practice rig was upgraded some of those items moved home , and the MB150 was replaced with the Ampeg 210 and GK MB200. A great little rig.

That was replaced with the Aguilar stuff though. That might be overkill , but it really does sound wonderful at a quiet practice volume.

Edited by msb
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, casapete said:

Reading replies above, I’m quite surprised how many people have what I would consider a gigging 

set up as a practice one. I’m guessing these do probably double up as gig worthy ‘spare’ rigs?

I'm in this category. 

My rehearsal/gig set-up (Shroeder 21012l and Markbass head) is fine for domestic practice.

It's quite nice to be able to exploit the better Lf performance from a bigger/better cab, albeit at a low volume. 

At a slight tangent,  I've found it's preferable to have a combo or cab that can comfortably out-perform any device that you might be playing along with. 

My old "Hifi" could obliterate my 80w 1x12 combo in every way, and it just felt like what I was playing wasn't contributing much. 

Conversely, the Schroeder/Markbass pairing can easily outpace the soundbar that I'm playing along to. 

Now,  I'm adding in everything <100Hz, and that feels better. 

• Like 1

On 21/07/2023 at 15:07, BigRedX said:

This kind of phrase come up quite a bit and wonder just how much truth there is to it?

Not withstanding the fact that the last time I wore trousers that were actually capable of "flapping" was some time in the late 70s, I don't think I have ever needed to be so loud that I could feel sound pressure waves emanating from my cabs. I suspect if I had, I'd be even deafer than I am now...

Pardon? 🤭

Have a few amps, but mostly gig with Aguilar 751 or Euphonic Audio i-amp 800, into a pair of Bergantino 1x12s or an Eden 4x10. Although I have six class D heads, I, like flapping trousers as well and much prefer old school, hernia-inducing cabs. As I age disgracefully, I worry that Mrs Snorkie might find the 4x10 and the 1x18 as struggle, but have confidence she'll cope somehow. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 21/07/2023 at 13:06, bassbora said:

You quite often see guitarists have few different amps for different flavors/things. It just made me think if bass players do the same thing? 

I always play with IEMs, but I have two amps for gigs without PA:

• Markbass Mini Marcus 250 with GR Bass AT110 - louder, lightweight, clean sound, valuable
  • Orange Crush 35B - less loud, heavy, rougher sound, cheap

I have back problems, and bad back days call for the Markbass, but for less glamorous venues I'll lug the Orange along. 35W doesn't seem much but I find it loud enough for smaller gigs. 

• Like 1

i fell in love with the tone of an old Peavey 400 series mk3 head, now own a mk4 and one of the much older bass heads, all pretty similar in certain ways but i have them more for collection i can interchange them given how i feel.

however my main sound comes from my Rack pre amps which are before the amps An Ashdown ctm valve pre and Geddy 2112 tech 21 which i blend for either a fatter of more aggressive tone.

• Like 4

My amps are....

Ashdown ABM600 head with 2x Pro Neo 1x 15" cabs. This is my main gigging amp, sometimes I only take one cab. 

I recently acquired a 100w SWR WorkingPro wedge combo that also acts as a monitor on stage. I needed a stage monitor and I've lusted after that super clean SWR sound for ages so I got it off BC.

Positive Grid Spark practice amp. This is for nothing more than playing in my office. It's ok as a bass amp but really better for guitar.

My gigging "backup" isn't the SWR, it's an EBS Microbass ii DI pedal, so if the amp goes pop I can XLR to the PA. Or I can XLR to the PA and not bring an amp which is good for festivals where we need a quick turnaround. Or I can XLR to the PA and run the amp and cab through another output for stage volume. Or I can use the Microbass as an FX pedal into the amp input and DI from the amp. Lots of options.

Too Many

Trace Elliot Ah500x 

Albion ABM800 (a fantastic monster of a thing - couldn't resist at £150)

Positive Grid Bias Bass 300.

Ashdown CTM30 

Laney Nexus Tube (got ridiculously cheap in the Laney ebay sell off)

Hotone Thunder Bass

Plus two combos and too many cabs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

How do you find the EBS Microbass sound in comparison to the Ashdown @uk_lefty? I’ve considered these for a while but the online demos seem to be slap-pop-mungus.

I've not had it long and now ended up on holiday.... I prefer the tube drive on the EBS, it's a bit more natural. I've not got my head around the EQ yet whereas the amp is straightforward. 

• Thanks 1

Two amps - Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12.0 (1200w) and MB Nano Mk2 and two cabs Barefaced Big One and Barefaced Big Baby 2.  Gives me three options:

1) Nano + BB2 for small pub gigs. 

2) GB + Big One for functions. 

3) GB + Big One and BB2 for outside gigs. 

We use iems and have a decent PA too, but the rest of the band still prefer lots of sound on stage with the PA just filling in. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ukbassboy said:

Two amps - Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12.0 (1200w) and MB Nano Mk2 and two cabs Barefaced Big One and Barefaced Big Baby 2.  Gives me three options:

1) Nano + BB2 for small pub gigs. 

2) GB + Big One for functions. 

3) GB + Big One and BB2 for outside gigs. 

We use iems and have a decent PA too, but the rest of the band still prefer lots of sound on stage with the PA just filling in. 

Yep I’m the same .. more sound on stage and PA for vocals plus kick drum 

• Like 1

On 21/07/2023 at 15:32, chris_b said:

IMO it makes absolute sense to have a backup, but makes no sense to have a backup that is very different. I use either a 500 watt or 700 watt amp. A 200 watt "backup" amp wouldn't be any use to me. 

In fact, the way watts work, a 200W amp would be just over 2dB quieter than a 500W (into the same cab), and only about 4dB quieter than a 700W.
The first Watt's the one doing all the work - the rest are just riding on his coat-tails.

A

• Like 1

3 amp heads and 2 cabs here, Orange terror Bass mk1, Markbass F1 and a Trace Elliot gp11 AH250, cabs are a pair of Barefaced gen 2 midgets.

at the moment we don;t have any gigs but the Orange is the one that comes to practices (with a single cab) every so often the trace comes out when i'm feeling strong, any of the heads with both cabs would work for a gig.

when the Stoneham 100w head is available that will most likely replace the Orange, i'll also sell the Markbass and get one of the 200w tiny heads as a backup, the trace isn't going anywhere at the moment.

Matt

At the moment I use:

Ashdown ABM 500 EVO 3

ABM Mini 15

ABM Mini 4 x 8

All the above acquired from @DGBass of this parish. To be honest, the 4 x 8 is blooming heavy and not any good for my band on it`s own, it really needs to be paired with the 15 so in the future I am going to look for a 1 cab solution. Round and round we go...

I also have a RCF 715 that can be used for monitoring or on it`s own for small pub gigs.

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

At the moment I use:

Ashdown ABM 500 EVO 3

ABM Mini 15

ABM Mini 4 x 8

All the above acquired from @DGBass of this parish. To be honest, the 4 x 8 is blooming heavy and not any good for my band on it`s own, it really needs to be paired with the 15 so in the future I am going to look for a 1 cab solution. Round and round we go...

I also have a RCF 715 that can be used for monitoring or on it`s own for small pub gigs.

I had an Ashdown 4x8 that had been converted to the neo speakers (Ashdown ones) that was about 20kg and was only just about loud enough with a tame drummer, swapped to the Barefaced Midgets and i can drown out almost any drummer with only one cab (and it's 9kg or so)

Matt