Why become a member? ×

Being associated with a particular piece of gear

A bit a strange one over this weekend, but after a gig at a venue I've played a number of times over the years (albeit with a different band to the one I'm in currently) I had a chap from the audience come up to say hi. 

He said something along the lines of "I've seen you play here before and I remember you usually gig a well-used black P Bass. I can't remember what band I've seen you with but I have always enjoyed your playing and remember the old P Bass!" 

It's true, my main gigging bass for years was my trusty black P but I unofficially retired it a couple of years ago as it holds a lot of sentimental value to me and I worry about taking it out gigging.  Since then, it's been a carousel of various different basses but mostly my old Jazz. Still, it's nice to be associated with one particular instrument and even nicer that someone bothers to listen to my playing 😂

IMG_2833.thumb.jpeg.728113d3d08cefba847dcc92fa1b27da.jpegIMG_2831.thumb.jpeg.ae41e04cb29910bfff1f1fd8deba2c4e.jpeg

• Like 11

I'm associated with being the guy awkwardly stood there while the singer gets adulation and complements. My favourite is "are you in the band?" Said in a surprised tone. 

The only thing consistent about my rig is the Ashdown stack. I rotate my basses regularly so apart from my Stingray which gets the most action I don't think there ever would be an association. Would be nice if there was a little recognition though...

As a young whippersnapper in an originals metal band I played a BC Rich Warlock bass. My skills were limited, but the bass got a lot of attention from the metalhead crowd.

Walked into a pub one night, and heard ‘there’s that lad who plays the warlock’, and that’s about as close to local fame as I ever got!

• Like 1

I don't think I'm known for my association with any one piece of gear, but a helluva lot of non musicians ask questions or make admiring comments about my seafoam Sire precision. That being the case I'm probably recognised as the geezer with the green bass.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1