Why become a member? ×

What would You call "Your doping" for bass playing?

nilorius

5 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I think that if you're playing rock'n'roll you have to make sure you're both rocking and rolling... So I have two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.

Watch out for the bats!

• Haha 1

I've played gigs in several states that I'm not prepared to admit to, but one strangely pleasant memory concerns the two Easter gigs I played shortly after prostate cancer surgery in 2015.

The first was on Good Friday, at a pub about a mile from home. The band carried my gear in for me, and I sat on a bar stool while playing, but was still in too much pain to play well.

The second was at a pub about 200 yards from home. After the experience of the previous night, I loaded myself with painkillers and again used a bar stool. Being in my local pub, quite a few people knew about my surgery and bought me drinks to keep me going.

A few songs into the first set, I was just sitting there and enjoying the music, totally detached from reality. I remember thinking that the bass player was quite good, and I remember wishing that I could play like that. Then I looked at my hands but didn't make the connection between them and the bass playing. 

After the gig, people kept coming up to me and telling me how relaxed I looked.

• Haha 9

42 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Way too much diet coke.

If i drink coke or fizzy juices i end up needing to pee during the gig. Drinking a litre of water during gig i'm fine but i'm an older bass player.

Is it bass player or bassist ? I guess that's another debate we could have.

Dave 

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

If i drink coke or fizzy juices i end up needing to pee during the gig. Drinking a litre of water during gig i'm fine but i'm an older bass player.

Is it bass player or bassist ? I guess that's another debate we could have.

Dave 

Hmm....maybe, but if we go so nuanced, there should be 3 - associated as bass player, "vintage" bass player and "road worn" bass player.

• Haha 1

I've done the drinking every night thing. Over the many years its gradually worn off and now i just don't need it to enjoy myself at a gig. I get enough of a buzz just playing a good gig.

Apart from that i have to drive there and back so don't see the point of even one drink.

Dave

I’m pretty much a non drinker, keep trying a bit of spirits occasionally and making sure that it’s not worth the feeling bad next day and the gaps between are getting longer. I have psychological reasons why I do it and they are hard to leave behind 

Hashish is amazing for free improvisation, boosts your creativity and helps you to much easier get into a state of flow/"the zone".

Considerably less so if you need to stick strictly to some predetermined form, in fact in that case it would often make your playing worse.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

8 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Hashish is amazing for free improvisation, boosts your creativity and helps you to much easier get into a state of flow/"the zone".

Brilliant for improvising, but hopeless for remembering what brilliant improvising you did. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Brilliant for improvising, but hopeless for remembering what brilliant improvising you did. 

At the time you probably Think  it's brilliant for improvising 😁

We were always more of the "Billy" persuasion shall we say...