Why become a member? ×

How do we get ourselves and our rigs to rehearsals or gigs?

kwmlondon

How do you get to gigs/rehearsals?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. I'm wondering how we all get ourselves and our rigs to where we play. Tick as many as you use

• Drive (own car/van)
    • Public transport
    • Lift from someone else
    • Motorbike/bicycle

6 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

For rehearsals, I walk. That's the easiest way as we rehearse at my house...

For gigs, we've got an in-progress feet-n-weed machine (i.e. Vauxhall Vivaro with diy seats in the back, and a soon-to-be-attempted window.).

That's proper old school. Really need aircraft seats though.

Drive to gigs (I'm the PA supplier as well). Drive to rehearsals which are 20 miles away. With a band which used to have its own rehearsal room, I left a bass at the rehearsal room and travelled by motorbike (car if it was really wet), which was enjoyable as it was a nice ride.

• Like 1

On 23/06/2023 at 09:21, Leonard Smalls said:

For rehearsals, I walk. That's the easiest way as we rehearse at my house...

For gigs, we've got an in-progress feet-n-weed machine (i.e. Vauxhall Vivaro with diy seats in the back, and a soon-to-be-attempted window.).

Probably not a good thing to do for any relationship would be to drive to your rehearsals then. Go out, get in the car, drive around the block, park up right in the living room then go through to the garage for rehearsal. Afterwards, sleep on the couch and in the morning agree to a divorce and to pay for house repairs.

I have a bright yellow Kia hatchback. Easy to spot in a parking lot and easy to toss gear in the hatch. I live beside the Bedford Basin , that’s where the convoys were assembled for the war. At night it’s a twelve minute drive downtown , in daytime traffic it can be 30/40 minutes. I do the occasional gig out of town , but mostly play the rooms in the downtown core.

I think of cars in simple terms of transportation. I gotta haul stuff downtown. Has to be reliable.

IMG_8133.jpeg

This thread reminded me of an email conversation I had with a guy (guitarist) on JoinMyBand.

Him: ’Do you know of any rehearsal spaces? Because I don’t’

me: ‘Yeah there’s a few locally’

him: ‘Do you know of any other musos who might wanna join us? Because I don’t’

me: ‘No, I’ve lost all my contacts, after 20 years away’

him: ‘Do you have transport? Because I don’t’ 

me: ‘Yeah, I don’t think this is gonna work out, mate’ 

🫣

4 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

This thread reminded me of an email conversation I had with a guy (guitarist) on JoinMyBand.

Him: ’Do you know of any rehearsal spaces? Because I don’t’

me: ‘Yeah there’s a few locally’

him: ‘Do you know of any other musos who might wanna join us? Because I don’t’

me: ‘No, I’ve lost all my contacts, after 20 years away’

him: ‘Do you have transport? Because I don’t’ 

me: ‘Yeah, I don’t think this is gonna work out, mate’ 

🫣

Wot, you don't carry a spare guitar lead with you?

40 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Like most professional musicians money is the overriding concern 

So I drive the smallest most economical car I can get my gear into

I don't think that particular malaise is limited to professional musicians these days.  This weekend warrior also drives the smallest, most economical car he can get his gear into.  On the plus side, can drive into Low Emission Zones.

Usually I have a lift with our drummer to rehearsals (about 15 miles away, no public transport for the journey home) and gigs if I'm going through the FOH. If I have to take an amp and cabs, I'll drive myself. The drummer lives about a mile away and if my three piece is having a knock in his garage studio, I'll walk as I only take a bass and leads. 

When i go to the gig, as i don't own car, -

1. Move with a public transport where someone catches me with car or someone takes me from home to gig with his car (that is if the gear is supported)

2.( If i need to use my own gear) the only way - someone takes me from home to gig with car.

Have to drive myself to gigs now seeing as none of our drummers live near me anymore, selfish of them really. I do quite like not drinking though as I get to keep all my gig money! Could cycle to rehearsal as I just take a single lightweight bass and a tiny amp head, the rooms we use usually have decent enough provided cabs.

We're quite lucky in that two of our band members are workmates and have the use of their work transit vans whenever they like so essentially we run a van at no cost and don't even have to worry about storing it. The vans are replaced every 3 years, must admit after a lifetime of using knackered old vans it felt weird shutting the rear door on them and it feeling/sounding like a car rather than that familiar clank. Had to open and shut it a few times to make sure!

I have a Fiat Qubo which is basically like a downsized Berlingo VTR/XTR and has adaptable seating, can turn it into a van in seconds.

Aye I always drive too. I don’t drink so it’s easy for me to be the driver. I’ve walked to a couple of gigs before now with bass on my back if I know there’s good backline provided (or I’ve had to set up earlier and can leave kit there etc) but that’s few and far between. 

When I used to drink we’d have all sorts of complex travel arrangements to avoid driving at all costs but I much prefer to pack down, load in and get out of there at the end of the gig. 

Drive. Rehearsal room is in the middle of nowhere and it's too late for public transport after most gigs. I brought an old non descript CMax to lug gear around and I dont have to worry about it being left parked at or near some of the scuzzy pubs we play at! 

99% of the time I drive to gigs and rehearsals. Occasionally I travel to a gig in a band van. Even with provided backline, or going direct, I need more stuff than I can comfortably carry in one go.

On a handful of occasions I have managed to get to a rehearsal on foot or on my push bike.

The transit system here in Halifax sucks , and it’s not helped by the landscape. It’s a harbour town with steep hills so the streets go everywhere. It’s not a grid. 
And the busses have long stopped by the time the gigs end. 
Cabs out to the burbs are pricey. 
So I’m thankful to put everything in the car and go.

57 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

My band has been offered a really good gig in London but with ULEZ charge and parking for two vehicles (or hiring one) it's just too expensive. Still tempting though, I think it'll be a fun gig

I used to hate gigging in London, and being an Essex based originals band, you *had* to play in London. 

I distinctly remember lugging gear half a mile to get to the Rock Garden in Covent Garden, to be berated by the promoter for not bringing enough of a crowd with us. 

After playing to a packed house anyway, lugged the gear back half a mile to the van, which had been clamped….

59 minutes ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

I used to hate gigging in London, and being an Essex based originals band, you *had* to play in London. 

I distinctly remember lugging gear half a mile to get to the Rock Garden in Covent Garden, to be berated by the promoter for not bringing enough of a crowd with us. 

After playing to a packed house anyway, lugged the gear back half a mile to the van, which had been clamped….

When we played the Rock Garden it was easy, we were living in a squat about 3 mins walk from there 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1