Why become a member? ×

Fixing a pickguard to a Jazz bass without using screws

rushbo

I've just picked up a lovely Squier fretless Jazz bass - the "Jaco" model, without a pickguard. It plays great, sounds gorgeous but...

I think I'd like to add a pickguard.

My plan is to get a guard cut, but with no screwholes, so I don't have to permanently mark the front of the instrument. I realise that I'll probably end up selling the thing on as I really suck at playing fretless bass, so in a vain attempt to keep the resale value intact (and prevent me frpm butchering a perfectly fine instrument with a poorly wielded Dremel), has anyone got any suggestions? Two-sided tape is probably the way forward, but can anyone point me in the direction of something strong and thin, but which won't damage the surface of the bass?

3 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

What... No... Don't

Look way better without...

I'm amazed it took as long as it did to get that reply...

You may be right, hence my quest for a "non permanent" solution. And by the way, It'll be a tort guard, too, so flame on!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Double tape... but what about the finish? On Poly should be OK...

Only other i can think would be a silicon type sealant, but i'd go double tape in as few places as need be.

But... there are 2 plateless jazz, jazzes, jazzi basses pic posts on here and both look luverly... jyst sayin'

Edited by PaulThePlug

25 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Double tape... but what about the finish? On Poly should be OK...

Only other i can think would be a silicon type sealant, but i'd go double tape in as few places as need be.

Yeah, I think tape will probably be what I go for and it's a typical glossy Squier finish, so it should be resistant to most mild adhesives.  The "trial plate" I'm using to gauge how the finished thing might look, is coping pretty well with just being friction attached via the neck pup at the moment

28 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

But... there are 2 plateless jazz, jazzes, jazzi basses pic posts on here and both look luverly... jyst sayin'

Yep, and I would also come to that conclusion, 10 seconds after I drilled loads of holes in the bass... I'm using a white guard I've got in my parts drawer to give me an idea, and currently, I prefer it to the "naked" look.

For a temporary fitting, two strips of masking tape glued back-to-back with a few spots of CA adhesive. It has much lower tack (and hence lower gungyness) than double-sided tape. A decent quality of masking tape is worth the extra money (3M is about as decent as you can get) - blue tape is usually better and less gungy than white

• Like 1

I wonder if you could use the pickup mounting screws somehow? Like a strip held in place by those screws that then presses down on the pickguard to keep it in place. 

Either that or a very long cable tie. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That tape would be brilliant if he wanted to swing from the guitar underneath a helicopter whilst flying through New York. You could probably use that tape to hold the neck on without any bolts. You might even hold the helicopter together. 

May I respectfully, in defence to @TheGreek and his clearly vastly superior experience to my own, suggest a low adhesive double sided tape. Search for "low tak double sided tape" on Amazon and take your pick. 

Rob

Thanks for the tips... I think double sided tape should do the job, but I'm trying to find one which will keep the plate in place, but won't take the finish off the bass when I inevitably change my mind and decide to flog it.

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

If it’s tort then you’ve ruined the bass anyway. It will infect the bass with its awfulness. It’s the only ‘plate type to do that.

Nothing can undo that level of perversity. Except fire.

Might as well hot glue and bolt it on.

;) 

Yep.

I might nail it on as well. And possibly a wooden stake. And welding. And gaffa tape. And some clamps. And pay someone to hold it permanently in place. That's the price you must pay if you are a disciple of The Way of Tort.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

@rushbo, 3M Refix Tape is a very thin double sided tape, often known as glue on a roll as it's once the backing is removed it's pretty much just a film of adhesive. 

It's about a centimeter wide and plenty strong enough to hold a pickguard with a two or three short strips. Should be easily and safely removed from poly with acetone, lighter fluid or similar. 

It comes in a box of four 10m rolls and is pretty expensive so PM your address and I'll pop a few strips (or the end of a roll if I've got one) in the post for you. 

🙂👍

• Like 2

20230710_114440.thumb.jpg.75b776f7342cc0bab987a6d62f26a48c.jpg

I have a thing for sunburst and tortoiseshell pick guards, so want to do the same to mine. Got as far as the tone control plate! Went with the vol/tone, vol/tone with a parallel/series switch from Starr guitars in the USA. Got held up by customs as it was labelled 'tortoiseshell' and they wanted to confirm it wasn't the real thing! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Maude said:

@rushbo, 3M Refix Tape is a very thin double sided tape, often known as glue on a roll as it's once the backing is removed it's pretty much just a film of adhesive. 

It's about a centimeter wide and plenty strong enough to hold a pickguard with a two or three short strips. Should be easily and safely removed from poly with acetone, lighter fluid or similar. 

It comes in a box of four 10m rolls and is pretty expensive so PM your address and I'll pop a few strips (or the end of a roll if I've got one) in the post for you. 

🙂👍

...and this is why BassChat can be a lovely place to hang out. 

Thanks Maude, that sounds like the perfect solution and a very generous offer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boodang said:

20230710_114440.thumb.jpg.75b776f7342cc0bab987a6d62f26a48c.jpg

I have a thing for sunburst and tortoiseshell pick guards, so want to do the same to mine. Got as far as the tone control plate! Went with the vol/tone, vol/tone with a parallel/series switch from Starr guitars in the USA. Got held up by customs as it was labelled 'tortoiseshell' and they wanted to confirm it wasn't the real thing! 

That looks really cool - what a great idea!