Why become a member? ×

anyone here in a one hit wonder band?

lidl e

3 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

@mybass was on Gordon Haskell's UK number 2 hit single. He has done a lot more besides this, but I think it is his only hit.

Pipped at the no: 1 slot by Robbie Williams that Xmas …… story….Gordon called for the band to appear with him, we had our live equipment, we set up, played through the song and did a first ‘run’. The producer lady thanked us and said ‘that was great, it’s in the can’! Aside she mentioned she loved having live music played on the show……..meanwhile a Spice girl was having repeated attempts to get her song sorted out, backing tapes not being the problem, it was the dancers not getting their steps right 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 5

I was once hit by someone who was in a band, does that count?

We auditioned a drummer for our last band who played on a prog hit in the 70's. He may have mentioned it quite a few times just incase we forgot. He was decent but we all decided we didn't want to hear about his one hit every 5 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

13 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

We auditioned a drummer for our last band who played on a prog hit in the 70's. He may have mentioned it quite a few times just incase we forgot. He was decent but we all decided we didn't want to hear about his one hit every 5 minutes. 

Could have been worse - might have been his five hits every minute! 😞

13 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

he was probably doing what prog bands do and stretching it out a bit to make it last longer. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 05/06/2023 at 13:51, Steve Browning said:

You're being quite modest here Steve, the Pretty Things were quite a big deal for people of my vintage. One time rivals of the Rolling Stones in the art college scene around my part of South London and Jagger and Richards were part of their family tree. Sadly I was just too young to be allowed out to the gigs at the college in Bromley. Rosalyn was an early favourite of mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Things

• Like 5

14 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

My dinner party story is auditioning Eddi Reader when she was an unknown and rejecting her because (a) she was so shy and (b) had an obnoxious boyfriend/manager. 

Just think how much better she’d have done with me… 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

My dinner party story is auditioning Eddi Reader when she was an unknown and rejecting her because (a) she was so shy and (b) had an obnoxious boyfriend/manager. 

Was that before or after she was doing backing vocals for The Eurythmics?

Mine is that I turned down the opportunity to work with William Orbit, although it was pre- Bassomatic and his current band Torchsong were a bit crap IMO.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Was that before or after she was doing backing vocals for The Eurythmics?

Mine is that I turned down the opportunity to work with William Orbit, although it was pre- Bassomatic and his current band Torchsong were a bit crap IMO.

Well before, before even Gang of Four. 

She’d just arrived in London… wouldn’t say boo to a goose. 

We were looking for a Chrissie Hynde!😳

9 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

You're being quite modest here Steve, the Pretty Things were quite a big deal for people of my vintage. One time rivals of the Rolling Stones in the art college scene around my part of South London and Jagger and Richards were part of their family tree. Sadly I was just too young to be allowed out to the gigs at the college in Bromley. Rosalyn was an early favourite of mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Things

yep even Bowie covered that on Pin-ups.

Dave