Why become a member? ×

Favourite Decade for Music?

How1

If you had to pick one, what would it be? Not necessarily 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s specifically - just a 10 year period that you’d pick for really good music. 

I’d say mine was 75 to 85. You’ve got punk/post, the birth of rap, new wave, some really good 70s rock, stuff like The Blockheads, electro, roots reggae…the list goes on. Pretty interesting times.

Edited by How1
  • Like 3

83 to 93. The thrash years, the birth of death metal, the peak of heavy metal and hip-hop, early grunge, some truly sublime pop over here and in the US and the great house music years. Kill 'em all at one end, Focus at the other... beautiful... before it all turned to shiiiiite.

Is there anyone for whom it is not their teenage years? 😉

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 3

Probably 1988 - 1998...ish...the golden age of hip hop; grunge; the start of the best periods for Ninja Tune, Pork and Warp; peak era for House, Rave, trance, techno, drum n' bass blah etc, Pixies and House of Love do their best stuff. Yup, a great time to be in one's late teens-20s

• Like 1

Probably 1990 to 2000 for me - I transitioned from teenager to 20 something in this decade, so I went to and played loads of gigs. Everything from Grunge, to Britpop via the American Alt Rock scene (Primus, RHCP, Tool etc...) and some great thrash metal albums still kicking about.

• Like 1

When I was a teenager, in the early 2000s, it was definitely the 80s. Metal above all. Then when I was in my 20s it became the 70s - prog rock. Then in my 30s I went further back in time. I go in waves, listening to different stuff. But the 60s are probably a sweet spot for what I have listened to the most in recent years. Coltrane's modal period, Miles Davis' second great quintet and other Wayne Shorter stuff (with Art Blakey and as a band leader)... to be honest if it was for jazz music maybe I would have said the 50s, but then in the 60s you also start getting Jamerson, Jemmott, Cogbill on the electric bass.

I never had much interest in keeping up to date with music

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 2

'86-'96

If only for, Queen's A Kind of Magic and three of my favourite albums Def Leppard's Retro-Active and Slang and Mick Ronson's Heaven and Hull.

There was lots of other music from that 10 year period I really like as well, these are just the standout moments for me.

Mark

76 to 86, covers punk, new wave, the early 80s pop which I hated at the time but love now, and early glam/hair-metal.

Edit - how did I forget to add 2-Tone into this?

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 2

'66 - '76 for me folks. Still had my own teeth, hair, and knees. Two decent eyes which worked and that was also the last decade I could hear across the normal human range without hissing, squealing racket blanketing everything. Ah, time waits for no man ... ... "Nurse! I think I've done it again! Nurse!"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Graham said:

92-02

Grunge, mathcore, post-hardcore, 90s Death metal, second wave black metal

Also, I was born in 1985 so the 90s were very formative to my music tastes

I love a lot of 90s stuff. I honestly don’t know what mathcore is though 🤓

• Like 1

'40s without any doubt, even though I wasn't a teenager back then.
I mean: Musical Offering, Art of Fugue, St John Passion, Mass in B minor ...
... the list goes on and on! 

Edited by BassTractor
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, How1 said:

I love a lot of 90s stuff. I honestly don’t know what mathcore is though 🤓

A sub-genre of hardcore punk, with a focus on complex time signatures; for example Botch, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Coalesce, The Chariot 😀

• Like 2

A difficult choice for me - born in the late 50’s so the 1960’s were my formative years.

Beatles / Stones / Motown / Soul and probably the best pop music ever.

However, the 70’s and in my teens was when I seriously got into music. Springsteen, Faces, 

Bowie and Stones again, and then the arrival of more great soul stuff, Disco, Punk and New

Wave. Such a great decade for me, forming my first band and going to every gig I could on

my pittance earned in a record shop. Great times. 

• Like 3