Why become a member? ×

How happy do you look?

Rich

Do you look happy when you play live? Or are you a bit of a Ringo (US journalist: "Why do you always look so sad?" Ringo: "It's just me face")?
Sam Sweeney is perhaps the happiest live musician I've ever seen. He didn't stop smiling the whole time, mind you I don't blame him, the music was beautiful. 1000 nerd points for anyone who can identify the second instrument without googling it.

I have to make a real effort to smile or I come across a bit glum. My bandmates gurn and leap about like idiots, but I have real trouble doing that and concentrating on what I'm playing. I do try to look like I'm having fun, which I always am.

samsweeney2.jpg.7ee8699c998b796423390ecd9f69d201.jpg samsweeney1.jpg.3fc7d3902541e41d73be8034463af2d9.jpg

• Like 2

I have in the past been introduced to the audience by the singer as 'the guy that never smiles'. My excuse was that I was concentrating so hard on trying to anticipate what the singer was going to do with the arrangements of the songs on the fly. I make more of an effort now and it helps that I am actually enjoying playing as I no longer have to cope with random song arrangements, keys and set lists. 

This is my serious muso pose...

P1040921-2.jpg.f753c499e08a9016679df3055cc32fdd.jpg

You can clearly see in this photo why many prefer me not to smile...

WhatsAppImage2022-12-11at10_20.18-1.thumb.jpg.648525a466a6cacd0331fda491c43e96.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I try to look like I'm having fun, look up, smile and have a bounce around in the easier songs.  Do it too well though and I get people coming up to me at half time or the end saying nice things about me, which requires the use of an entirely different, underdeveloped part of my brain...

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, upside downer said:

I tended to look bemused, indifferent, joyous, annoyed, confused and frightened simultaneously. 

Is it a nickelharpa?

You win the nerd points! :D 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rich said:

Do you look happy when you play live? Or are you a bit of a Ringo (US journalist: "Why do you always look so sad?" Ringo: "It's just me face")?
Sam Sweeney is perhaps the happiest live musician I've ever seen. He didn't stop smiling the whole time, mind you I don't blame him, the music was beautiful. 1000 nerd points for anyone who can identify the second instrument without googling it.

I have to make a real effort to smile or I come across a bit glum. My bandmates gurn and leap about like idiots, but I have real trouble doing that and concentrating on what I'm playing. I do try to look like I'm having fun, which I always am.

samsweeney2.jpg.7ee8699c998b796423390ecd9f69d201.jpg samsweeney1.jpg.3fc7d3902541e41d73be8034463af2d9.jpg

Never have fun and am always looking like I can't wait to get home 😁

IMG_1569.jpeg

• Like 2

I’ve had members of the audience tell me that I look like I’m staring them out and that I look really aggressive when on stage. It’s actually none of that, I just like looking at the audience to see if they’re enjoying the performance. As such I now try to smile a bit more. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Woah... lower that strap a bit snorkster..... 

Agreed. That bass is now about  foot lower than it was during that gig. Can't remember, but could have been around the time left wrist was knackered by playing a seven string for hours on a strap which was set too low. Just can't win. The seven is long gone, and with it, the romping wrist. I think the 7-bass was moved to Binkybass and then to Bipbip. It sold here about a couple of months ago methinks.

2 hours ago, snorkie635 said:

Never have fun and am always looking like I can't wait to get home 😁

IMG_1569.jpeg

That’s the look that’s thinking, “I’ve got to load this dirty great rig back into the car soon and I bet these buggers will suddenly be very busy with other things or nowhere to be seen,” oh, woe is me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ezbass said:

That’s the look that’s thinking, “I’ve got to load this dirty great rig back into the car soon and I bet these buggers will suddenly be very busy with other things or nowhere to be seen,” oh, woe is me.

Never a truer word spoken. 👍

I have a range:

Intent, serious muso

410E5BD7-7BEF-4CB0-9B75-4F5064C17DA9.thumb.jpeg.006b0ba0d01a4e4fc4b49c7d4d7c4b39.jpeg

Slightly bemused (smelling own fart)

21CB8DFD-3683-4CBC-B815-EB42087A559E.thumb.jpeg.431d1972e4d67b51b426dd48de3c6043.jpeg

The David Gilmour pout or just been goosed by someone out of shot (this is a favourite look it seems).

40BB2212-C83D-4A10-9464-C65D7723EB65.thumb.jpeg.2ee1e90f619aa9bd353255e4932ee2a5.jpeg

• Like 3

I look terrible when i play from notes/fretboard. I have looked the photos and my face is so concentrated and a bit too depressed, so would be very happy if God could add a little lust to my funky a$$ face.

Edited by nilorius
  • Haha 1

Just now, nilorius said:

I look terrible when i play from notes/fretboard. I have looked the photos and my face is so concentrated and a bit too depressed, so would be very happy if God could add a little lust to my funky donkey face.

Lusting after funky donkeys will lead you down a very dark road indeed Nilorius.

• Haha 6