Why become a member? ×

Car wheel balance weights to balance bass

Paolo85

Not completely incospicuous but they do not bother me at all. I only needed four of those in the end - 20 grams - to go with this bass from alright balance on a neoprene strap to great balance. I hindsight, they would have fit into the control cavity.

They are not directly attached to the body for the most part. There is packing tape in between as they are very hard to take off once attached onto something.

Cheaper than a high mass bridge, do not require a neck shim and cannot result in unexpected, unwanted changes to the tone assuming high mass bridged do something to the tone

20230514_153011.jpg

• Like 3

There you go! I can't believe 10 grams matter! I must say, it's not like the bass was neck diving before. It would slide from angled up to horizontal every now and then. Just enough though to trick my brain into resting the wrist on the body to hold it, as I don't rest my thumb on the pickup.

In fact, maybe more than perfect balance I am looking for slightly body-heavy..

20230514_204428.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Paolo85 said:

There you go! I can't believe 10 grams matter! I must say, it's not like the bass was neck diving before. It would slide from angled up to horizontal every now and then. Just enough though to trick my brain into resting the wrist on the body to hold it, as I don't rest my thumb on the pickup.

In fact, maybe more than perfect balance I am looking for slightly body-heavy..

'Perfect balance'......Hmmmm. I wonder if someone who promotes this on his 'builds' is reading this?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Hipshot Ultralites at the other end would do it, and lower the total bass weight too.

Agreed, always the easiest option to shave off some weight.

Another thought, why not put the weights inside the control cavity?

• Like 1

The bass already has hipshot licensed ultralight :) The body is from a Squier Affinity PJ, which is both poplar and thin.

Weighs in the control cavity would be a good idea! The first time around I did not do it because it would be more of a faff and because I was not sure how many of those I would need and how much space they would take. The second time around just because it is a bit of a faff compared to a 5-second job :) Maybe next time I change strings I put them in there!

I'll take the opportunity to show off my beloved bass

20230515_171923.jpg

• Like 2

On 15/05/2023 at 17:22, Paolo85 said:

The bass already has hipshot licensed ultralight :) The body is from a Squier Affinity PJ, which is both poplar and thin.

Weighs in the control cavity would be a good idea! The first time around I did not do it because it would be more of a faff and because I was not sure how many of those I would need and how much space they would take. The second time around just because it is a bit of a faff compared to a 5-second job :) Maybe next time I change strings I put them in there!

I'll take the opportunity to show off my beloved bass

20230515_171923.jpg

If you swap to USA Ultralights and go for the Y keys instead of the Clover ones you'll save about another 12 grams.

As you've noticed from the other end, even a little makes a bit difference.

(I'm obsessed with bass balance and weight! :D )

• Like 1

On 15/05/2023 at 16:50, fretmeister said:

Hipshot Ultralites at the other end would do it, and lower the total bass weight too.

Just chop the headstock off. It would look nicer and balance better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

If you swap to USA Ultralights and go for the Y keys instead of the Clover ones you'll save about another 12 grams.

As you've noticed from the other end, even a little makes a bit difference.

(I'm obsessed with bass balance and weight! :D )

True, but (IMHO) Y tuners on a trad shaped Fender is… just… no. Clovers, lollipops permissible on 60s Jazzes. 

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

Just chop the headstock off. It would look nicer and balance better.

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Just drill  a series of holes through the fretboard all the way through the neck where the dot fret markers are now, and chop off excess wood from the headstock as well, then fill the control cavity with cement/concrete... Fixed! ;)

On 15/05/2023 at 01:14, jd56hawk said:

PhotoCollage_20211114_123145228.jpg

On 15/05/2023 at 17:01, franzbassist said:

why not put the weights inside the control cavity?

It seems this thing of the weights on the back of the bass is not a huge success 😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paolo85 said:

It seems this thing of the weights on the back of the bass is not a huge success 😁

Sure, you can do that, but the strap can be used for other basses.

Hey, some people do this, too.

i wouldn't.

PhotoCollage_1684322968141.jpg

• Like 1