Why become a member? ×

What Basslines make you happy to play?

How1

31 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Stratus - Billy Cobham

Once you start playing the groove you just don't want to stop!

.....until you have to 'cos you've got severe cramp 🥺........but it's certainly a great riff. I can manage about 4 minutes of it before my fingers admit defeat !  😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Of the songs I actually gig at the moment....

Anything by Queen

Anything by Bon Jovi

It's My Life by Talk Talk

Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears

I Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who

Two Tribes by Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Mr.Blue Sky by E.L.O.

Dancing in The Moonlight by Thin Lizzy

Footloose by Kenny Loggins

Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles

True by Spandau Ballet

Jump by Van Halen

Venus by Bananarama

Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham!

The Final Countdown by Europe

Geno by Dexy's Midnight Runners

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

.....until you have to 'cos you've got severe cramp 🥺........but it's certainly a great riff. I can manage about 4 minutes of it before my fingers admit defeat !  😳

That's indeed a challenge to keep playing it...

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s a great one, did you find it tricky to learn, I tried it but struggled up to speed 

It's one of those songs where it's all very well knowing what the notes are, but you have to know how to approach it.

It's a pick song for starters. I'm sure many may be able to perform it finger style, but I think it needs the attack of a pick.

Secondly, it's all about the rhythm of that riff and where the up and down strokes are.

There's a video on You Tube of Trevor Horn playing it on a five string and very nice it sounds too, but I play in on a four with a drop D tuning which is how Mark O'Toole played it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

Same here, I get cramp just thinking about it... 🤨

• Haha 1

The original version of this song always makes me happy and playing it even more so. It was a privilege to be asked to play on this and a delight to record and film. It’s not a hard line, but that doesn’t matter to me.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ezbass said:

The original version of this song always makes me happy and playing it even more so. It was a privilege to be asked to play on this and a delight to record and film. It’s not a hard line, but that doesn’t matter to me.

That's great, I really enjoyed that thank you. I'm a huge PG  and Tony Levin fan and this is one of my favourites tracks from one of my all time favourite albums. I love what you've done with it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BassTool said:

My band do New York Minute first half, gives me a chance to play my Cliff Bordwell fretless I bought from @Clarky

That’s a cracking Pino line isn’t it. A few members of a band I used to play with did  a lockdown recording with me using a borrowed squire vm fretless, which I really liked.

https://on.soundcloud.com/baSTM68H7Qqp1oTs5

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lonestar said:

That's great, I really enjoyed that thank you. I'm a huge PG  and Tony Levin fan and this is one of my favourites tracks from one of my all time favourite albums. I love what you've done with it

Thank you so much, that’s very kind of you. We followed this up by recording Don’t Give Up, but the lockdowns ended and people in the collective started gigging and teaching again, so we never got around to making a video to accompany it, which is a shame, but great that the other folk are back out there and busy. There is talk of putting the music to a generic video image, but even this seems to be taking time.

I like baselines that are busy but not difficult and that, perhaps, add a bit to the melody, rather than just being the rhythm behind the guitars.

Losing My Religion - R.E.M.

Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young

Smooth - Santana

Down in a Tube Station at Midnight - The Jam

All I wanna Do - Cheryl Crow

Echo Beach - Martha and the Muffins

Pump it up - Elvis Costello

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

It's one of those songs where it's all very well knowing what the notes are, but you have to know how to approach it.

It's a pick song for starters. I'm sure many may be able to perform it finger style, but I think it needs the attack of a pick.

Secondly, it's all about the rhythm of that riff and where the up and down strokes are.

There's a video on You Tube of Trevor Horn playing it on a five string and very nice it sounds too, but I play in on a four with a drop D tuning which is how Mark O'Toole played it.

I'd forgotten about TT, it's a cracker, we did a kind of industrial-y version years ago, can't imagine why anyone would try and play it with fingers rather than a pick tho ! 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lonestar said:

That’s a cracking Pino line isn’t it. A few members of a band I used to play with did  a lockdown recording with me using a borrowed squire vm fretless, which I really liked.

https://on.soundcloud.com/baSTM68H7Qqp1oTs5

Nicely done Mike, it's a great line to play 👍🏼

Our guitarist plays the muted trumpet solo on his Roland guitar synth, we see some puzzled looks on faces when he does that on guitar 🤭

9 minutes ago, BassTool said:

Nicely done Mike, it's a great line to play 👍🏼

Our guitarist plays the muted trumpet solo on his Roland guitar synth, we see some puzzled looks on faces when he does that on guitar 🤭

Thanks that’s kind of you. The drums on this recording were programmed by the keyboard player too!

• Like 1

Just now, BassTool said:

Oh, and this one also on fretless. What a great bass line IMO 👌🏼

I found this a real challenge to play and sing vocals over the top, but one of my favourite 80's songs 👌🏼

I used to do this one too in a previous band. Busy bassline  isn’t it ? Can’t imagine trying to sing it at the same time. Kudos for that !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lonestar said:

I used to do this one too in a previous band. Busy bassline  isn’t it ? Can’t imagine trying to sing it at the same time. Kudos for that !

Took me weeks to nail it 😖

10 hours ago, musicbassman said:

I was in a band where I used to play this on DB. They wanted it to be the first song of the gig but it had to be the last as I had nothing left after all the extended solos they would put in! 

• Haha 2