Why become a member? ×

Musician's Guide to Eurovision

Happy Jack

Battle of the B Pop bands.

Got to say there are some rather bizarre bastards in between.

The Voyager song does display a genuinely solid musicianship and a pretty outstanding understanding of how you craft an absolute Eurovision pop banger, and you got to give them credits for successfully managing to fusion in aspects of genres otherwise usually not associated with this format, although unmistakably still pop (progressive Eurovision pop fusion?),  but like everything else in this competition it is painfully overproduced and over polished, and the lyrics are toe crigingly bad as well.  

A genuine superfluity of cheese for sure.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Pop is dead as a genre its over. I dont hear one ounce of originality or melody, just random notes bolted together. Sorry if that will upset everyone who reads this, but there.

Bolted together by some computer program thingy .. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toneknob said:

And they're all made to look like actual pedals. TC PolyTune, POG 2, Digitech Whammy, Moog something or other - what are the others?

image.thumb.png.dfe8aecb73c1d8811b043d3319921925.png

EHX 16 Second Digital Delay (the big flat black and white one with sliders)

Maxon FL9 Flanger (the small 4 knob yellow one)

Pigtronix, I think, phaser of some kind (Envelope Phaser?, not really that familiar with Pigtronix models) (the big green one with big yellow fonts). 

The small green one he pretends to be tweaking in that shot is likely either a Maxon or Ibanez Tube Screamer, but could also be a Boss PH-1 Phaser, the 3 knob blue one next to it looks to me like it'll be a Boss CS-2 Compressor, though it could also possibly be a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, the one he is covering with his arm on that shot, under the small blue and the small green one, in between the Moog, which by the way appears to be the MF-105 MuRF resonance filter one, and the Whammy, from what I can tell by studying the short clip of the video that focus on the pedal board, appears to be the original big box EHX Big Muff Pi NYC, the small 3 knob purple one, I have no idea, but my best guess is some kind of fuzz.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Doctor J said:

This is how you do three minutes of entertainment

Sounds a lot better without all that vocal processing on the official video on page 1 that apparently doesn't exist.

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Australia's song is going to turn into "It's Alright" by East 17 every time they hit the chorus?

I thought the intro on the "live" version was going to lead into "A Little Respect" by Erasure.

On 12/05/2023 at 13:20, tauzero said:

I thought the intro on the "live" version was going to lead into "A Little Respect" by Erasure.

I've heard hints of Life on Mars and Design for life so far. But I guess if there are only eleven notes....it happens.

Now heard them all, has to be Belgium for me. Only one with a hook that was seemingly written to be accessible to a large audience immediately. All the others, self indulgent minor key Eurocrap.

• Like 1

Well... I broke a habit of not watching it since the mid-70s out of curiosity. I had to mute the sound after a while as I just found it hard going. One or two good singers amongst the less good ones. The French singer was a little like an update on Edith Piaf in terms of sound style. Germany seemed to be something like glam rock meets death metal (in appearance anyway). I've no idea what Croatia was doing

34 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Back in our comfort zone after the hiccup last year. 2nd from last in the sack race 🤣

One place higher than we deserved. I saw bits of an interview with her and she made Gemma "I'm a fan of the dictionary" Collins look like an intellectual heavyweight.

Edited by tauzero
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tauzero said:

One place higher than we deserved. I saw bits of an interview with her and she made Gemma "I'm a fan of the dictionary" Collins look like an intellectual heavyweight.

I thought it was The Eurovision Song Contest, not Brain of Britain?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Back in our comfort zone after the hiccup last year. 2nd from last in the sack race 🤣

I didn't watch the show but I heard the UK entry a few times on the radio.

My take was that it isn't awful.

It's just very generic, like someone asked an AI to write a pop song based on the most prevalent UK chart music trends of 2022-23.

Edited by Cato