- basslab

- Linc Luthier

- Ritter (acoustic)

- Versoul Swan 4 or 5 (acoustic)

- Overwater C

- any old 5/4 sized high end double bass, 5 or 4 with an extender

- something decent with a Lightwave pickup

• Like 1

I'd have to go proper top end, stuff I probably wouldn't feel able to justify even if I had the spare cash, so Alembic, Fodera, maybe a particularly high spec Ritter.

I'm intrigued to find out what the additional outlay gets you.

I kind of get that much like Wal, nothing sounds quite like an Alembic because of their unique electronics, but with Fodera and Ritter, aside from body shapes, the differences between them and other basses are less obvious.

Edited by Cato

7 hours ago, Cato said:

I'd have to go proper top end, stuff I probably wouldn't feel able to justify even if I had the spare cash, so Alembic, Fodera, maybe a particularly high spec Ritter.

I kind of get that much like Wal, nothing sounds quite like an Alembic because of their unique electronics, but with Fodera and Ritter, aside from body shapes, the differences between them and other basses are less obvious.

Never played a Ritter, but have owned one of their gig-bags and tried a couple of their chocolate biscuits. 😉

• Haha 2

Probably a neck through Warwick or Spector Forte five string. Maybe one of the older neck through Vigiers.

Generally the list of bass related items I really want to try relates to amps and cabs though. Mesa 400+, Matamp GT200, Trace Elliot V8 and Bergantino NV 4x12 etc. I don’t need any of them I just kinda want to experience what they do in person.

• Like 1

A couple to add to the list:

Gibson Victory

BC Rich Eagle / Seagull / Bich through neck from the 70's

Dingwall D-Roc

Always fancied a semi-hollow, twin single pickup bass, similar to a Warwick Star or something Gison-esque (a la Hooky)

1 hour ago, Skybone said:

A couple to add to the list:

Gibson Victory

BC Rich Eagle / Seagull / Bich through neck from the 70's

Dingwall D-Roc

Always fancied a semi-hollow, twin single pickup bass, similar to a Warwick Star or something Gison-esque (a la Hooky)

EB2?

5 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

That'll just go "Duh.."

( there you go, saved you all the bother.. 😁

Common misconception!   I think mainly as they’re normally strung with flats, with which they sound quite convincingly double-bassy but not much else, whereas IMHO they’re nicer with rounds to really bring out the harmonics and top end.  I have a ‘58 and a “69 “D”.

For me - like a few above I’d love to try a Ric 4005, I reckon the coolest looking bass ever made.    Though I have heard the tone described as “thin sounding and disappointing”.

Otherwise, wouldn’t mind a go on a Gus.

Having tried/owned most of the top end stuff (Wals, Alembics, yadda yadda), I've never come into contact with a Fodera, so, yeah, one of those - just to see what all the fuss/money is about...as far as vintage goes, I've had enough of them to know they're a crapshoot when it comes to the actual bass; like most mass-produced instruments, there's good ones and bad ones from every year...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cato said:

I own a couple of Ritters and have 2 more on order. 

For me it’s the playability and feel. I can play stuff on my #1 Cora that I simply can’t play on other basses. I can come close of course but not quite in the same way as my Cora. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snorkie635 said:

EB2?

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

That'll just go "Duh.."

( there you go, saved you all the bother.. 😁

That kind of puts me off them, though I would like to try one with Stainless rounds. Whether anyone would be brave enough to put SS rounds on something like an EB2 is another question. :D 

1 minute ago, Skybone said:

That kind of puts me off them, though I would like to try one with Stainless rounds. Whether anyone would be brave enough to put SS rounds on something like an EB2 is another question. :D 

I'd certainly put roundwound strings on it if it were given to me... bucking the prevailing trend, as always, I don't like flat wound strings. 

• Like 1

A Sandberg Forty Eight.

I've loved the look of these ever since I first laid eyes on one (online - never seen one in the flesh). There's one on Fb marketplace for £2k, but that ain't gonna happen for me.

NS NXTa (EUB), played like a regular bass (see below).

boomerang.jpg

The NS NXTa Radius - I just wanna see how this thing feels.

Status T-Bass, either graphite or wooden neck.

Obvs, all of the above would be 5-string.

Mark

14 hours ago, thodrik said:

Generally the list of bass related items I really want to try relates to amps and cabs though. Mesa 400+...

I have to say that the 400+ was wonderful! The weight wasn't.

A Mo'Bass or a MiniMo are high on my list but also pretty rare, that is high priced. Maybe some day.

6 hours ago, molan said:

I own a couple of Ritters and have 2 more on order. 
For me it’s the playability and feel. I can play stuff on my #1 Cora that I simply can’t play on other basses. I can come close of course but not quite in the same way as my Cora. 

Ritters may seem a bit niche to some, maybe unattractive to others or perhaps overwhelmingly expensive....but....I was lucky enough to buy a Ritter Cora from @molan during a moment of weakness (his, not mine 🤣) and it's a truly wonderful thing. If you get a chance to try one, I urge you to do so. 

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d like to try some Reverend stuff. Saw Sheryl Crow’s bassist use one at Glastonbury and it

sounded ace, and I love the retro but original look of them. Never seen one in a shop though, think

their main outlet is Merchant City Music in Glasgow, so will try and make time to visit 

when my band are up there in the summer.

Edited by casapete