Why become a member? ×

One five string to rule them all

horrorshowbass

Stingray.  As a recent convert to Stingray fives, I feel they fit in pretty much every musical style, and are very comfortable to play. I've owned over 50 different basses many of them 5 string and have to say the Stingray just works. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snorkie635 said:

As machines states, they're all different. I've never played a Bongo, but have owned the others you mention. From your original list, I'd go with the Ray, but then you dropped an L2500 into the mix. I'd go with that for maximum flexibility.

Beginning to think l2500 is a bit of a Stingray killer alright. It does everything so well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not up to date with the current new prices so I don't even know that what you've listed fit to the budget new but....

I'd buy a Spector Euro 5LX or a Spector Euro Classic 5 ( I own both, great instruments)

As for your list, my take:

Thumb - Love them, have two Tumb NT6's but they would not be my first choice as the one 5er to rule 'em all due to ergonomics and sound 

Bongo - never owned but on B5 is on my wish list

Stingray - I own a SR5, fabolous bass, the best Stingray I've tried / owned but the Spector has the same modern kinda sound and more.... Of course you can't beat a SR sound if you want just exactly that. Great neck, too.

Dingwall - owned an AB5, really loved the neck but the sound was nondescript.....

Tough one!  The latest bass I bought was a Fender Elite 5 which is very nice and versatile.  However, I have a CLF ‘Big Chonks’ exactly the same as Lobster’s (in his review), which is fabulous and plays wonderfully. As others have said here, the G&L is special.

For reference, I also have an American Fender Jazz Plus 5 (the Kubicki one), light, rare and harder to find. A NT Thumb 5 - plays great, slightly heavy headstock, very distinctive sound, but comfy, small body; probably over budget. A Sei Flambouyant 5, which is great in every way, but way over the budget.

A second-hand Elite or possibly and Ultra if you can find one would be a great choice. If you’re new to fives, play a few as they really do differ and rarely play in the same way as their four string equivalents. 

Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Out of that list I think only the bongo or some versions of dingwall would appeal, but I don't think you can get either for £1500 new, so seems like a fail!

Would like a bongo, but very expensive, same as a canadian dingwall, wouldn't want a combusion. 

If it had to be new and it had to be up to £1500, I guess it would be an ibanez. 

• Like 1

Bongo 5HH.

Very versatile.  Doesn't have quite the options of an L2500, but plenty of tones on offer. Generally light and resonant. The Neodymium pickups and 4 Band, 18v preamp give plenty of headroom and clout if needed. 

I've had a Ray 5. That was a different kettle of fish; fretless with Alnico pickup. It felt too wide in the body a lot of the time. Coil switching is well- executed in the original SR5

I found the Thumb's ergonomics "challenging". I didn't mind the long reach for the first fret,  but the balance wasn't great. And it was quite heavy.

I've not tried a Dingwall so can't comment other than that string choice is potentially limited. And make sure you get a bag or a case, as it'll not fit in any you may already have. 

31 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Out of that list I think only the bongo or some versions of dingwall would appeal, but I don't think you can get either for £1500 new, so seems like a fail!

Would like a bongo, but very expensive, same as a canadian dingwall, wouldn't want a combusion. 

If it had to be new and it had to be up to £1500, I guess it would be an ibanez. 

I have a beautiful ibanez. Probably shouldn't sell ;)

A Lakland 5594 or a Lakland 5502. Why.? its got a neck thats the best in the bass business and it is super versatile.Best 5 string bass on the planet.. No doubt  I do love an SR5 as the punch the neck are hard to beat. Tight string spacing though. 

A Lakland 5502 is the best bass ive ever played. fabulous instrument. Nothing on your list comes close.

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

A Lakland 5594 or a Lakland 5502. Why.? its got a neck thats the best in the bass business and it is super versatile.Best 5 string bass on the planet.. No doubt  I do love an SR5 as the punch the neck are hard to beat. Tight string spacing though. 

I've had a couple of SR5s - they sound great but I just can't get on with the string spacing. 

• Like 2