Why become a member? ×

new Ampeg Di preamp

danbowskill

6 minutes ago, Vin Venal said:

I keep watching all the demo videos for this, and can't get past thinking it sounds better imo than the darkglass vintage microtubes, which is my main sound at present.

Realised I'd never tried running my delay and reverb up front, so gave it a go, and with the low drive I usually run as my main sound it kind of sounds cool.

I might be back to thinking I can forgive it the lack of an FX loop...

Coming back to the FX loop issue...the Bass the world comment at 03:20 in the OP YT clip where he says "the Through output can be used if you want to run...a parallel pedal chain" - could you maybe turn that into an fx loop by using e.g a Mooer AB-Y pedal?  ie. 

Bass --------------------------------> A  

Through --> pedal chain in parallel --> B 

Y output ---> input of SVT DI

Would that work? Or is it going to result in some horrible feedback loop?

Circuit diag

image.thumb.png.497ae6687327a3f8a5b1d1687168cf46.png

The Through output looks like a clean by-pass

What I'm also liking is the aux-in (either mono or stereo) which can be taken directly to the PA via 1/4" line out / headphone jack. Given that this unit is likely to be at the end of many of our signal chains anyway, to make use of the XLR out, that could be very handy in terms of not having the aux in impacted by the preamp or the preceding pedal chain on your board before the SVT-DI. Particularly useful if you've got something like a Beat Buddy drum machine on your board.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Yup.

Interestingly one of the comments on Talkbass posted this morning seems to be coming up with pretty much the exact same suggestion as mine above: "Alternatively, you could use the Thru connection to split your signal. Adding effects to the separate signal path which you could then combine back in with your primary signal using something like a Boss LS-2."  

I've asked him whether he's got any concerns about a feedback loop arising! 

Edited by Al Krow

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Interestingly one of the comments on Talkbass posted this morning seems to be coming up with pretty much the exact same suggestion as mine above: "Alternatively, you could use the Thru connection to split your signal. Adding effects to the separate signal path which you could then combine back in with your primary signal using something like a Boss LS-2."  

I don't think your suggestion will work, with the SGT being plugged back into itself.  You are connecting the through output back to the SGT input, via the ABY - which is a feedback loop.  The Talkbass suggestion is different: connect the bass to the SGT input; the through output and main output to the ABY pedal; and then routing that into an amp etc.

• Like 2

On 28/03/2023 at 18:48, danbowskill said:

This looks amazing, almost the perfect one-stop-amp-in-a box. (only missing a HPF)

The advantage of loading personal IRs really adds to the proposition.

I will probably wait for the Behringer clone to surface sometime next year!! ( BDI21 has been a great little tool) 

Edited by JohnDaBass
error
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

This looks amazing, almost the perfect one-stop-amp-in-a box. (only missing a HPF)

The advantage of loading personal IRs really adds to the proposition.

I will probably wait for the Behringer clone to surface sometime next year!! ( BDI21 has been a great little tool) 

John - there's an ability to engage a Lo cut on the Ultra Low switch, which I think to all intents and purposes will function as an HPF, albeit maybe quite limited compared to something like a Thumpinator.

• Thanks 1

Ampeg's IR loader software also lets you set a "lo cut" (HPF) and "hi cut" (LPF) for each of the cabs - though the manual doesn't indicate the slope of these filters

Edited by MartinB
So many typos 🤦‍♂️
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, CalDeep said:

Did anyone manage to bag one?! Really want to see how they compare to the Origin stuff. Got an ampless tour this summer and I think my trusty LeBass might be retiring! 

They're not available until later in April in the UK/Europe unfortunately. The US have clearly been prioritised.
I pre-ordered it and look forward to run it through its paces in practice. On paper it's got everything I need in a preamp.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ian McFly said:

They're not available until later in April in the UK/Europe unfortunately. The US have clearly been prioritised.
I pre-ordered it and look forward to run it through its paces in practice. On paper it's got everything I need in a preamp.

Think it’s now on my hit list. This or the Two Notes Revolt? Similar form factor, price, features. If anything, the Ampeg seems to have more appealing can sim features!

• 2 weeks later...

Jon Willis (of the Facebook HX Stomp group - some users may be familiar with his tone sharing) has just posted his thoughts on the SGT. To paraphrase "Winner winner chicken dinner" 

Long form:

"

This may become a long post.  

I had the opportunity to spend the weekend gigging with the Ampeg SGT-DI.  

I ran it into the FX return of my Fender 800 combo with 2x10 extension cabinet.  So it was the sound of the Ampeg and the tonal character of the speakers. 

Blown away. Period.  

As much fun as I’ve had with the Stomp over the years, it’s been lackluster for me in a LIVE setting.  The Ampeg SGTDI gave me everything I required with minimal tweaking.  

The first gig Friday I used all 6 IR’s that came loaded and I found the 2x10 and 1x15 IRs to be the best sound off the stage.  The 8x10 wasn’t what I was hoping for, but I’m going to experiment with a few other 8x10 IRs soon enough… maybe

The SVT setting is huge. Almost too huge at times.  And honestly I believe that setting really requires the adjustment of the SGT/Grit circuit to make it pop.   The B15 is incredibly accurate.  Very smooth 

The onboard Compression is “ok” not what I think of when I need compression.  I found it to work much better as a way to take the “attack” off of the note. Very subtle and it’s nice.   Since I’m not getting paid by anyone I can say that you’ll want an actual compressor in front of the SGTDI.   

That being said. In the DAW the compression and SGT circuit were useful to get some great amp sag sounds.  Those same settings didn’t translate as well on a stage.  

Saturday was spent with no IRs and just focusing on the EQ only with no SGT circuit.  The pedal does an amazing job at providing massive low mids that really carry a lot of sonic weight, (an area that the Helix and all the other digital platforms seem to fail to reproduce properly).  

Again the B15 was spectacular and the SVT sounded like an SVT but didn’t “feel” like an SVT. As I stated before, I truly believe the SGT/Grit circuit will make the SVT mode more convincing. 

Sunday’s gig was spent using no IRs again but utilizing the EQ and SGT circuits.  I managed to dial in a B15 tone that was so convincing, I had to turn around a few times to make sure that I didn’t jump into an alternate timeline or something. 😉

IMHO, Low mids are the key to getting a bass tone to sit in a live mix.  And the SGTDI has them a plenty.  

The low cut switch allowed me to remove my trusty Rolls low cut from the FXloop of my amp.  Someone at Ampeg figured out the proper slope of the low cut and it worked incredibly well. 

Overall, the Ampeg SGTDI is a clear winner.  Hands down. 

This week I plan to deep dive into the SGT/Grit control to maximize the full spectrum of the Ampeg.

My #1 complaint is that it doesn’t have a tuner. 🤣 

Also, if I can get picky, I think a silver and blue edition would be killer.  😉"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Here you go...

I preferred the OF except for the edge of break up (there didn't seem to be that much difference). However, as these were done without tweaking the EQs particularly, the Ampeg might have fared better than demonstrated. The B15 emulation is spot on to my cloth ears. I'd like to hear a 3 way comparison including the VTDI.

• Like 3

Gotta say, the origin is edging ahead for me. The B15 sound is obviously great on the SGT I just dont know if I can be bothered with something as massive with loads of things for me to constantly tweak 

• Like 1

Hmmm, food for thought, I def preferred the Origin. I suppose there’s a lot of eq possibilities that can be explored on the Ampeg but to me it just seemed that the Origin fitted in with the mix much better every time.

55 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Hmmm, food for thought, I def preferred the Origin. I suppose there’s a lot of eq possibilities that can be explored on the Ampeg but to me it just seemed that the Origin fitted in with the mix much better every time.

Definitely, I would have liked a bit more grit on the edge of breakup clip to put it more in the ballpark area of the Ampeg. As @CalDeep says the ‘peg is enormous, which isn’t in its favour with me, but Origin stuff is eye wateringly expensive. This is probably why I’ll be sticking with the VTDI, which isn’t an awful option at all.

6 hours ago, ezbass said:

Here you go...

I preferred the OF except for the edge of break up (there didn't seem to be that much difference). However, as these were done without tweaking the EQs particularly, the Ampeg might have fared better than demonstrated. The B15 emulation is spot on to my cloth ears. I'd like to hear a 3 way comparison including the VTDI.

That was really interesting- I wonder if the cab IR were on on the Ampeg? 

it sounded like the bassrig had the analogue cab sim on maybe but then the ampeg sounded like it didn’t 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

That was really interesting- I wonder if the cab IR were on on the Ampeg? 

it sounded like the bassrig had the analogue cab sim on maybe but then the ampeg sounded like it didn’t 

I think I remember Phil saying he’d selected the 8x10.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I kinda preferred the Ampeg in the blind test but not much in it. Question from me is, does the Origin send Cab Sim to the DI and the amp output, or just the DI. A lot of pre amps do this and it annoys me a bit.

The Ampeg only sends Cab Sim to the DI and the headphones, which is a much better setup to me...

@Bigwan this comment of yours really caught my eye:

"As much fun as I’ve had with the Stomp over the years, it’s been lacklustre for me in a LIVE setting.  The Ampeg SGTDI gave me everything I required with minimal tweaking."  

Could you elaborate for us a bit please on what the difference you're hearing between the two that makes the Stomp "lacklustre" whereas the SGTDI really hits the mark?