Why become a member? ×

Escalating Prices

Rayman

On 27/03/2023 at 08:57, White Cloud said:

Well, an authentic question was posted hence an authentic answer was forthcoming. 

Well, you cannot go round blaming Brexit for everything, willy nilly. I am currently in Australia and they are saying that prices have gone up 20% post covid: Obviously due to Brexit.

The pound dropped around 10% against the dollar last year, largely due to Trussgate. But, even so, how does that explain the reported current  increase in bass prices? Answer: It doesn't.

Brexit has happened, and is unlikely to be reversed anytime so, whether we like it or not, it's pointless going on whinging about it and blaming it for things that it blatantly isn't responsible for. There are enough things it has caused, but it's still pointless moaning about it. It'll just do your head in (well mine anyway).

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

Well, you cannot go round blaming Brexit for everything, willy nilly. I am currently in Australia and they are saying that prices have gone up 20% post covid: Obviously due to Brexit.

The pound dropped around 10% against the dollar last year, largely due to Trussgate. But, even so, how does that explain the reported current  increase in bass prices? Answer: It doesn't.

Brexit has happened, and is unlikely to be reversed anytime so, whether we like it or not, it's pointless going on whinging about it and blaming it for things that it blatantly isn't responsible for. There are enough things it has caused, but it's still pointless moaning about it. It'll just do your head in (well mine anyway).

With respect I think your analysis is much too simplistic.

In any case, let's maintain a relative state of grace and accept a great many members are bound to have differing opinions on this: Peace ✌️❤️

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Thread lock imminent if we don't pipe down on the old B-word discussion...

Who needs a B string? Jaco didn't need one.

or 

Who even likes the Beatles? Macca was rubbish on bass

or 

Bubinga is the best tone wood ever for heft

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

Thread lock imminent if we don't pipe down on the old B-word discussion...

The trouble is that you can't talk about escalating prices without having a discussion about the B word! Sure, there are plenty of other factors in play in an uncertain world, but that is the reason why we are getting hammered so much more than our European neighbours. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, peteb said:

The trouble is that you can't talk about escalating prices without having a discussion about the B word! Sure, there are plenty of other factors in play in an uncertain world, but that is the reason why we are getting hammered so much more than our European neighbours. 

Just seen many a thread get locked when B related discussion crosses a fairly low threshold, that's all I'm referring to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, neepheid said:

Just seen many a thread get locked when B related discussion crosses a fairly low threshold, that's all I'm referring to.

I appreciate that. It just seems pointless to have a thread discussing an issue where you are not allowed to mention the main influencing factor. 

• Like 1

I live in France, and see the Thomann prices in Euros. They have increased in the same way as the GBP prices to the UK. France does not have a 'B' heritage to blame; the prices have gone up, is all. World factors are the cause. Price increases are across the board, for all. It's probably true (I wouldn't know...) that some specific UK issues have been in play for some (many..?) items, but bass prices isn't one of them, to any meaningful extent. Just my tuppence-worth. B|

• Like 2

Before singling out the GBP fx rate for special treatment, it’s probably worth checking what has happened to EUR over the past couple of years. Post-covid, it fell to below parity with USD - the weakness isn’t related to the UK’s membership of their union.

I believe it’s more to do with US fuel independence (fracking and all that) and the US raising interest rates earlier in the inflation cycle.

I imagine global Bass prices are linked to USD, so all Europeans will see inflation, regardless of their home currency.

37 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I live in France, and see the Thomann prices in Euros. They have increased in the same way as the GBP prices to the UK. France does not have a 'B' heritage to blame; the prices have gone up, is all. World factors are the cause. Price increases are across the board, for all. It's probably true (I wouldn't know...) that some specific UK issues have been in play for some (many..?) items, but bass prices isn't one of them, to any meaningful extent. Just my tuppence-worth. B|

I don't know about bass prices, but that is generally not true. The UK has the highest inflation rate in the G7 and I believe in Western Europe, whereas France has the lowest in Europe (or at least it did a few months ago when I last looked, but Spain may have overtaken it).  

1 minute ago, peteb said:

I don't know about bass prices, but that is generally not true. The UK has the highest inflation rate in the G7 and I believe in Western Europe, whereas France has the lowest in Europe (or at least it did a few months ago when I last looked, but Spain may have overtaken it).  

I wouldn't know; I was simply responding to the bass cost aspect. The way of calculating inflation'n'all seems to differ from place to place, and from time to time (House prices included, and rents..? Price of clothes..? Cost of agricultural land..? Bass strings..?). :|

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I wouldn't know; I was simply responding to the bass cost aspect. The way of calculating inflation'n'all seems to differ from place to place, and from time to time (House prices included, and rents..? Price of clothes..? Cost of agricultural land..? Bass strings..?). :|

To be fair, unless you are going to look in depth at the economics and the underlying political causes, it's a pretty pointless discussion other than to say, yes, prices have gone up. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think you can blame Brexit. Price pushing failed there as much as they would have liked so enter Covid a worlwide plague. Yep that did it.

Boris announced outside 10 downing st

I have to level with you!

It is going to get worse before it can get better.

I knew exactly what he was saying and who to. Those that don't understand I apologize. Those that do. Love you and wish you my version of well as in freedom

Edited by Ralf1e

18 minutes ago, peteb said:

To be fair, unless you are going to look in depth at the economics and the underlying political causes, it's a pretty pointless discussion other than to say, yes, prices have gone up. 

Just a bit 🤣 ouch I hurt my ear

It's interesting to me that as the price of used gear keeps going up and up, so does the quality of very cheap new gear made in China. Not just basses either, but amps and effects too.

Used to be that if someone new asked about bass gear I'd be telling them to look for quality used items at bargain prices, but now it's hard not to tell people to buy a harley benton bass and amp and a demonfx darkglass clone pedal, because you probably won't find anything used which competes with it in terms of value for money. ☹️

Maybe instead of complaining we need to corner the market. 

Between us (including people such as @ceteraand @doctor_of_the_bass) we probably have a large percentage of the country's supply of bass guitars. 

We need to sell, sell, sell now, taking advantage of high market prices, force prices down - killing off all the chancers in the process - then everyone here buy a Wal at bassment prices. 

Obviously, as a result, the likes of @cetera become world economic powers, but hopefully, the fact I've only had good experiences with him, I will be granted a Dukedom.

POWER TO THE BC COMMUNITY!!!💪💪💪

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, TheGreek said:

Maybe instead of complaining we need to corner the market. 

Between us (including people such as @ceteraand @doctor_of_the_bass) we probably have a large percentage of the country's supply of bass guitars. 

We need to sell, sell, sell now, taking advantage of high market prices, force prices down - killing off all the chancers in the process - then everyone here buy a Wal at bassment prices. 

Obviously, as a result, the likes of @cetera become world economic powers, but hopefully, the fact I've only had good experiences with him, I will be granted a Dukedom.

Up the Revolution! 👨‍🎨👨‍🎨👨‍🎨

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Sitting, stroking cat on my lap and laughing creepily to myself..... heh heh.....

• Haha 5