Why become a member? ×

Gigging with a bad back

police squad

My word,

it can be really hard work.

I hurt my back just over 20 years ago and as long as I'm careful, I don't have too much trouble.

A couple of months ago, I slipped over whilst walking my dog. This has left me quite useless.

I went to see a new physio, whom I didn't think was very good and by chance I discovered my original Physio from 20 years ago had come out of retirement.

Things seem on the up now, but when it 'pops' when I'm singing................................I discovered that I'm yelling in tune!!!

I have two gigs this weekend, it could be a challenge

anyone else?

My back has been bad for years, permanent injury on right shoulder so doesn’t affect mobility too much, and bass on  strap isn’t a bother.

But it’s been bad over the last couple of months where I’ve annoyed it at work by lifting something, so have been seeing an osteopath. It’s not fixed yet but best I’ve felt for a while. 

I gigged a couple of weeks back on guitar and wasn’t too bad, fortunately my gear is small/light/modular so can do it all in many trips one handed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

My back has been bad for years, permanent injury on right shoulder so doesn’t affect mobility too much, and bass on  strap isn’t a bother.

But it’s been bad over the last couple of months where I’ve annoyed it at work by lifting something, so have been seeing an osteopath. It’s not fixed yet but best I’ve felt for a while. 

I gigged a couple of weeks back on guitar and wasn’t too bad, fortunately my gear is small/light/modular so can do it all in many trips one handed.

my gigging gear is as light as it can be. But even loading the car is difficult atm.

I sang the last gig, sitting on a tall bar stool (it was quite good actually)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

Exercises like the plank help so you're not straining your back as much.

I seem to have a bulging disc atm. The muscles have been in spasm for about 8 weeks and that makes everything worse.

If we can get the muscles out of spasm (some electric thing that manipulates the muscles) it should help stop the back joints being forced out of line and hence, stop the disc bulging.

In fact, literally half an hour ago, it went mental on me. I was in agony. Eventually I managed to get myself on the floor, I did a couple of stretches that click my lower back and bingo, it has eased off

The "electric thing" is a variation on the TENS machine sometimes offered to women in labour as an alternative to pethedine or to gas & air. I never tried one so can't really comment, but I always suspected it was more of a placebo thing in the case of back pain. (I certainly can't comment on how effective it is in childbirth. 🙄)

I've had back issues for years and they have been well documented here on Basschat BUT those issues did not arise from injury or damage, they came from poor posture and not using my body correctly. What I needed was several years of Pilates (others recommend Alexander Technique or yoga instead) at the end of which I have a far better understanding of how to avoid screwing myself up.

In the case of @police squad I really don't think I have anything useful to say; dealing with an injury is NOT the same as dealing with poor posture. 

I just tried to page SixFeetFour (he's an osteopath) but his name no longer comes up ... has he changed it?

• Like 1

Try out to buy a big special bolt that covers half your back - it works by sticking together. It's like boxing champion belt, but bigger. It works fine for my 72 old dad. He had a gig with alder j and singing some songs and felt ok.

Edited by nilorius

39 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

The "electric thing" is a variation on the TENS machine sometimes offered to women in labour as an alternative to pethedine or to gas & air. I never tried one so can't really comment, but I always suspected it was more of a placebo thing in the case of back pain. (I certainly can't comment on how effective it is in childbirth. 🙄)

I've had back issues for years and they have been well documented here on Basschat BUT those issues did not arise from injury or damage, they came from poor posture and not using my body correctly. What I needed was several years of Pilates (others recommend Alexander Technique or yoga instead) at the end of which I have a far better understanding of how to avoid screwing myself up.

In the case of @police squad I really don't think I have anything useful to say; dealing with an injury is NOT the same as dealing with poor posture. 

I just tried to page SixFeetFour (he's an osteopath) but his name no longer comes up ... has he changed it?

yes that's right, a bit like TENS. It really does work though.

I have been very unlucky this time around but hopefully I'm on the mend. I have taken any pain relief for about a week now

I’m in the same boat, so can really empathise with all those others in a similar situation. 

I do a series of physio-taught core muscle exercises on a regular basis. It keeps my condition in check, but - from time to time - I do something stupid without thinking and, ping, I’m back in the land of pain and pills.

My wife took a small video of me during one episode to serve as a reminder never to go there again. It actually helps me to watch it when all is OK!

1 hour ago, police squad said:

I seem to have a bulging disc atm. The muscles have been in spasm for about 8 weeks and that makes everything worse.

If we can get the muscles out of spasm (some electric thing that manipulates the muscles) it should help stop the back joints being forced out of line and hence, stop the disc bulging.

In fact, literally half an hour ago, it went mental on me. I was in agony. Eventually I managed to get myself on the floor, I did a couple of stretches that click my lower back and bingo, it has eased off

I had/have 2 prolapse discs and a damaged joint.

By far and away the best exercises I found for relief and prevention are not back exercises at all.... if it helps this is what I did.

Try slowly touching your toes when you can - stretch those calves.

Try lifting your knee upto your chest when lying on your back. Grab it with your arms.

Once you can do that lie flat and lift both legs in the air straight, so it works your core.

Regularly tense your stomach so your body uses its core strength, not your back strength.

Just what worked for me, but feel free to try if you wish.

• Like 1

2005 was the year I buggered my back. Lifting 2 x 90+lb cabs the wrong way for over 8 years ended how I should have predicted. . . .  if I was using my brain!! I can't lift properly because I also buggered up my knee running half marathons in the 80's. I was referred to hospital once and after relating all the details, and telling them I thought it was a herniated disc, they astonished me by saying it was "just old age"! NHS fail on that one.

I've done many gigs sitting on bar stools. 2 times my back gave out during the gig. I managed to finish but the band had to pack my gear away and load the car. If it wasn't for D class amps, Neo cabs and now 7-8lb basses I'd have had to quit playing years ago. I did Pilates for a while and my back gave out during a session! I'm doing gentle workouts every day now and building my strength, so fingers crossed.

If you haven't any back pain, now is the right time to start looking after your back.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, la bam said:

I had/have 2 prolapse discs and a damaged joint.

By far and away the best exercises I found for relief and prevention are not back exercises at all.... if it helps this is what I did.

Try slowly touching your toes when you can - stretch those calves.

Try lifting your knee upto your chest when lying on your back. Grab it with your arms.

Once you can do that lie flat and lift both legs in the air straight, so it works your core.

Regularly tense your stomach so your body uses its core strength, not your back strength.

Just what worked for me, but feel free to try if you wish.

i shall try it when I'm better. I realise we need our core strength as we get older and will be working on it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

@6feet7?

59 minutes ago, police squad said:

i shall try it when I'm better. I realise we need our core strength as we get older and will be working on it

Youd be amazed at how linked the legs are to back issues. Any stretching I do really helps.

• Like 2

I’m usually ok , but my lower back flares up every once in a while. Lightweight modern cabs and heads help. Playing a Dano does too. Mine was initially triggered carrying a monster tv down a flight of stairs about a dozen years ago. It just flares up every once in a while.

Eye opener as to how many here have back probs.

Im no different either,  as i have a metal hip  ( passenger  RTA  1987 ) that occasionally nips a nerve. Bloody thing did it a week ago, and lm still struggling, though it does wear off eventually, after a week, normally nearer 2 weeks.

Add to that , i have  a displaced disc at L4/5  so near the bottom of my spine, ( motorbike , lunched it 1994 ) and again, occasionally , it makes itself known. It's the the disc that gives me problems gigging, if the hip/nerve thing is ok.

I cant stand still in one spot for 2 sets,  so as long as i have room to sidestep 2 paces left / right / forward / back, i can lessen the impact. I dont have any heavy gear to carry, depite me owning the PA subs and tops.  2 other band members deal with those.  I have a Genz head and i dont use a cab, 2 basses are not ultra lightweight, but 4" straps help a lot. No speaker monitors either

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

You have my sympathy as I know exactly what it's like: I've been gigging with back problems for fifteen years now.

As others have said my gear is as light and compact as possible and I'm very careful, i.e. I consider most movements in advance.

Having become well acquainted with the unique quirks of the nature of my own problems I have a full range of stretches and exercises and when I have 'an episode ' I have a couple of go to gurus who get me back on track.

• Like 1

I can relate to this. I slipped a disk late 2015, years of commuting in the car, desk job, and carrying heavy gear on gigs. I tried everything, but nothing fixed my back until surgery in summer 2016, but still 10 months signed off sick.

Since then I have a regular exercise and stretching regime, and use the lightest gear possible, and it’s been manageable. Look after your back chaps.

• Like 2

Yeah I’ve had lower back trouble on and off for 10 years or so.  Recent MRI showed L5 central disc extrusion and L4 bulging disc whatever the hell that means.  Ive been to physios, osteos and chiros with limited effect over the years.  I’ve been doing a bit of pilates on and off and do regular exercises to help with core strength so agree that helps.  I try to avoid lifting and twisting and purchased a much lighter bass and rig the last couple of years.  I now understand that it’s a case of managing the condition with a mix of being sensible, exercise and drugs if needed.  CBD and feminax ultra work really well.